Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson Memphis ES-195

midiman56

I just got this delivered a couple of days ago, and I've finally been able to put it down long enough to share a few pics with you. It is a brand spanking new ES-195 from the good folks at Gibson Memphis. It joins my ES-345.

I know that there have been a couple of pretty positive posts about his one and, while I try not to get overly hysterical about a new guitar, this one could easily end up being my #1! It is simply an absolute pleasure to play, hear AND see ... a real homerun in my opinion!

Not going to bore you with specs that you already know or can easily find out ... so here are some shots of a really marvelous guitar!

Jim

ES195Pic02_zps089c13dc.jpg

ES195Pic04_zps4d2a9197.jpg

ES195Pic01_zps8fd8416c.jpg

ES195Pic03_zpseb0d458e.jpg

IMG_0295_zpsc6f3b844.jpg

IMG_0291_zpsd3b9fdce.jpg

congratulations on your guitar. very very beautiful.

was the roller bridge after market or does that model come with it stock? if so that's pretty cool. And also is the bridge pinned or is it floating.

and lastly, 5th picture down, are those Gretsch Penguins & Falcons in that arsenal? mondo cool collection i might add.

again, Congrats on a fine instrument!

Thanks for the kind words. guys ... I am really loving this guitar!

The roller bridge is pinned, RS and is completely stock on the guitar. I must say that coupled with the six-in-line headstock, this thing stays in tune beautifully. I am a bit of a Bigsby nut, and speaking strictly from a tuning stability standpoint, this guitar kind of puts my Gretsch's to shame (yes, that's a White Falcon and a Penguin you see in that pic!)

It sounds quite different from my ES-345, Steve. The ES-195 is a full hollow-body and those a P94 single coils you see on there. The depth falls in-between a 335 and a full depth jazzbox ... very comfortable to play, and it still has a nice, woody "full" voice!

Thanks again!

Jim

It does look rather splendid... [thumbup]

I would love to play one someday

Looks like a well thought out meld of Gretsch and Gibson ES thinking

Meeting somewhere at the cusp of P90's and Dynasonics... [thumbup]

The ES175/ES137 aesthetics have a timeless appeal...

V

:-({|=

Congratulations on a great guitar, Jim. I got one at Christmas and love it. I echo everything you said about it, it's stunning all the way around. Easily my favorite. I had plans to try some flatwounds on it but am digging the rounds so much I haven't tried it yet.

When it arrived my wife was excited to see the inside of the case was plush pink, it's her favorite color. I wonder why the difference between our cases. Not a big deal, I wouldn't mind either color, it's only the case lining.

Did you notice anything about the scent from the case when you opened it? When I first opened it, the scent reminded me of a Tennessee whiskey. It still has that smell every time I pull it out. It's on the guitar. I'm sure it's the finish, but it's absolutely incredible. I love a good whiskey and this reminds me of it every time.

I have no intentions of swapping out any of the parts on this guitar, they're perfect as is. But I did make a couple of additions. I put a couple of white felt washers under the strap buttons and added pointers for the knobs. Hardly mods, but they are functional as well as look good.

Here's a shot of mine. The photo doesn't do it justice, the flame on this thing is incredible, as is yours.

th_DSC_0443.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy guys you are !!!

To add a more neutral advice on this guitar;

I am the average guy, looking for a 335 to replace my 339 ( logical choice!!) and

in a shop I'm not used to go ( LYON FRANCE) where I spotted a magnificent Cherry 335

I also asked to test the 195 ( I discovered its existence on this site) they had next to the 335

( but I think for a short time because only a few have been delivered in our accordions country)

The result is, althought I m not sure that this guitar is for me [bored] , thet I've become a complete fan !!!

I was speechless when I saw it for real, a real jewel,and the rest of the trial confirmed

this feeling.

I particularly like the neck, the smooth fretboard, a pleasure of playing, and althought

less bluesy than the 335 the nervous response under the pick.

These Pups ( as you say ) , deliver a very nice sound, there is a good sustain,

less than the 335 but enough for the blues , and may be better suited for the Jazz.

SO I have only one question and you can help me:: I and will never use the BIGSBY thing;

is it a problem ? what are the inconvenients ????

And th next and killing qestion: do you think Gibson will design BIGSBYless models ?

Thank you agai nfor the amazing pictures

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a ES-195 from Wildwood guitars. It arrived at my door this past week (5/26/15)and I have to say it's everything I wanted or hoped it would be. I kept looking online and Wildwood received a Trans Amber model several weeks ago and I jumped on it. I just rehearsed tonight with my Surf band and this guitar sounds and plays fantastic! I can't believe this model has been discontinued? This is a great instrument! [thumbup]

Don335

I just got this delivered a couple of days ago, and I've finally been able to put it down long enough to share a few pics with you. It is a brand spanking new ES-195 from the good folks at Gibson Memphis. It joins my ES-345.

I know that there have been a couple of pretty positive posts about his one and, while I try not to get overly hysterical about a new guitar, this one could easily end up being my #1! It is simply an absolute pleasure to play, hear AND see ... a real homerun in my opinion!

Not going to bore you with specs that you already know or can easily find out ... so here are some shots of a really marvelous guitar!

Jim

ES195Pic02_zps089c13dc.jpg

ES195Pic04_zps4d2a9197.jpg

ES195Pic01_zps8fd8416c.jpg

ES195Pic03_zpseb0d458e.jpg

IMG_0295_zpsc6f3b844.jpg

IMG_0291_zpsd3b9fdce.jpg

Awesome Congrats

4H

Nice looking guitar...congratulations. What kind of pickups are in it??

Excuse me for butting in but - Bill these P94s are simply P90s in a humbucker housing and believe me they sound terrific!

I don't really think this guitar has a GRETSCH vibe other than possibly the color. It does have some

similarities like the single cutaway and the BIGSBY but it has a sound all it's own. I love the pickups and the BIGSBY stays in tune. It's a pretty amazing guitar and I love it. I wonder why it was discontinued so

quickly?

Don335

Houndman55,

You are not the first to say the headstock looks weird, but that's exactly what I liked about it. It doesn't

look like anything else ? I was thinking about a TRINI LOPEZ model but I already have a beautiful ES-335. I saw the ES-195 and had to have it. So far I am very happy with it and again this guitar sounds pretty amazing!

Don335 [thumbup]

Archived