Gibson Brands Forums

rare gibson gospel?

bigwreck111

Hi everyone...I'm new here. I was hoping to get some opinions from some Gibson enthusiasts here. I stumbled across a Gibson Gospel that I purchased. I had been looking for a Gospel as I've always liked this guitar for the price compared to sound/playability. Here's the thing....it's a 2001 model. I know they stopped making it around 1996 or so, but this serial number dates to a 2001. I was worried about it being a fake, so I contacted Gibson. They confirmed it was indeed authentic and was shipped from Montana in 2001. I asked how it was possible since that model was no longer made...and the guy told me that it was either a special order or a dealer exclusive that was made custom. What's strange about it is that the back is NOT laminated like the others, and the headstock has the old cursive Gibson logo along with the dove. I've never seen the old logo with the dove on the re-issue models...although it may exist but I havent seen it. Have I stumbled onto something really rare? I was just curious if anyone might know anything. Thanks!!

Hi everyone...I'm new here. I was hoping to get some opinions from some Gibson enthusiasts here. I stumbled across a Gibson Gospel that I purchased. I had been looking for a Gospel as I've always liked this guitar for the price compared to sound/playability. Here's the thing....it's a 2001 model. I know they stopped making it around 1996 or so, but this serial number dates to a 2001. I was worried about it being a fake, so I contacted Gibson. They confirmed it was indeed authentic and was shipped from Montana in 2001. I asked how it was possible since that model was no longer made...and the guy told me that it was either a special order or a dealer exclusive that was made custom. What's strange about it is that the back is NOT laminated like the others, and the headstock has the old cursive Gibson logo along with the dove. I've never seen the old logo with the dove on the re-issue models...although it may exist but I havent seen it. Have I stumbled onto something really rare? I was just curious if anyone might know anything. Thanks!!

I remember the dove silkscreen/decal (whatever) on Gospels, and I also remember the script logo.

Here's one20U-13382_front.jpg

....from 1994.

And here's a '93 with the block logo:

20U-13433_headstock-front.jpg

A 1995 (like the Phoebe on Friends "Smelly Cat" guitar):

p3_ulpj1upzt_ss.jpg

So, not particularly rare in terms of the logo. The solid back is unusual though.

Fred

I remember the dove silkscreen/decal (whatever) on Gospels, and I also remember the script logo.

Here's one20U-13382_front.jpg

....from 1994.

And here's a '93 with the block logo:

20U-13433_headstock-front.jpg

A 1995 (like the Phoebe on Friends "Smelly Cat" guitar):

p3_ulpj1upzt_ss.jpg

So, not particularly rare in terms of the logo. The solid back is unusual though.

Fred

Thanks. Yeah, its got the script logo, but with the dove instead of the other symbol as shown in your pictures. I've never seen the combination of the dove plus the script...although I'm sure it exists. post-62599-030831300 1389675377_thumb.jpeg

In a way it is strange though as putting a solid back on the guitar does away with the defining feature that made the Gospel a Gospel. What set the original Gospels apart from the crowd was that arched laminate back which gave the guitar more punch and presence than most of Gibsons offerings in the 1970s.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I had a Q if it's not to much to ask. I came across a "Gibson Gospel" the other night and took some pixs. It doesn't have all the makings of the other Gospel models I've found on the net. It doesn't have the emblems on the headstock just the Gibson script, doesn't have the pick guard that's okay maybe it was removed. The white label inside says it's made in Montana model Gospel AN ser# 93273021. Has the arched laminated back but on the back of the headstock it has the same ser# printed in black ink and no "Made in USA" wording. I read on the Gibson website that there were exceptions to the post 1977 serialization and it gives an example of a Les Paul Classic.

If anymore has any comments I would very appreciative of the help. It's my first guitar and didn't want to start off wrong.

Here are some pixs.

Hello Everyone,

I had a Q if it's not to much to ask. I came across a "Gibson Gospel" the other night and took some pixs. It doesn't have all the makings of the other Gospel models I've found on the net. It doesn't have the emblems on the headstock just the Gibson script, doesn't have the pick guard that's okay maybe it was removed. The white label inside says it's made in Montana model Gospel AN ser# 93273021. Has the arched laminated back but on the back of the headstock it has the same ser# printed in black ink and no "Made in USA" wording. I read on the Gibson website that there were exceptions to the post 1977 serialization and it gives an example of a Les Paul Classic.

If anymore has any comments I would very appreciative of the help. It's my first guitar and didn't want to start off wrong.

Here are some pixs.

post-63403-025616200 1392342233_thumb.jpg

post-63403-062444100 1392342246_thumb.jpg

post-63403-040821700 1392342265_thumb.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Here are some pixs.

Nothing wrong with yours... a 1993 ...

• 1 month later...

Does it look like this?

post-64131-070492100 1395069249_thumb.jpg

post-64131-048821900 1395069282_thumb.jpg

I bought this Gospel in September of 2001 from Musician's Friend.

• 3 years later...

Hi everybody,

If I may... I recently did a lot of researches to know a bit more about the 1995 Gibson Gospel I just bought (here in Canada). I mostly found that... a lot of messy and false informations are written. So, yesterday, I wrote to Gibson Talk 2 Us platform, asking if the '90s Gospel reissues have solid mahogany or laminated back and sides. I had an answer 12 hours later!

Here's:

"Hello Hubert,

They have solid mahogany back and sides. The 70s version is laminated.

Best,

Jordan Hall

Gibson Customer Service"

So, the search is over. The Gospel reissues are actualy all solid wood guitars.

Keep on playin'!

Good grief... Where does Gibson find their help?

The first Gospel re-issues from the 90's were laminated Mahogany back and sides. Period. The description from the Gibson Gospel sales sheet reads. "Its arched back is laminated from select Mahogany veneers and shaped to direct the sound out through the sound hole for a more aggressive attack and clarity."

Gibson made 1776 Gospels in 1993.

1995 saw a run of 1211 in antique natural with nickel hardware.

552 in antique walnut finish with Nickel hardware

400 in vintage sunburst Nickle hardware

21 in Blue finish.

23 in Red finish

Demand fell to just 2 by 1999.They did make 23 in 2000 as special orders but it was just more reasonable to make them with solid backs with the tooling at Montana. Montana bought the arched/laminated backs from Nashville. The 2001 serial number was probably one of these that was finished in 2001.

Archived