Gibson Brands Forums

80's Cort Double Cut - Back from the dead.

slavestate

Hello there,

Not much for the forums or internet these days. I have always been super motivated seeing all of your folks projects and repairs so here's my latest.

It's looking like a 1984 Japanese made Cort double cut. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. A Double Cut morphed with a Stratocastor!

So when I acquired it had shoddy electronics and a terrible finish/set-up. The first thing I did was draw up a template for a pickguard. It just seemed so naked without one. Then I found a piece of 1/8" aluminum and made it happen. That was a blast! Once I fitted up the pickups on the pickguard I slotted it to accommodate the neck cavity. After this I did some work on the body and neck. On the body it was sanding off the top and exposing the wood and on the neck it was smoothing out any rough spots and painting it. The neck is super fast now and very comfortable. I did some distressing on the headstock, purely because I love the metamorphosis of sanded paint. I put in a set of Epiphone pickups from my old SG400 that was trashed many years ago, and put in a Stew Mac Premium wiring harness.

What a difference it is now. It has blemishes and wear all throughout it's exterior both on the body and fretboard, but it still plays fantastic.

Here she is:

2014-01-15110547_zps64d12857.jpg

2014-01-15110559_zps77419526.jpg

2014-01-15110630_zps30b11ac2.jpg

2014-01-15110630_zps30b11ac2.jpg

2014-01-15110845_zps66ac1811.jpg

2014-01-15110855_zps69152306.jpg

Thank you for the kind words! I had to post on here and share with you fine people. It plays fantastic! I initially installed some Stew MacDonald PAF's into it and it SCREAMED! I think I'm going to save those humbuckers for another project so in the Epiphone's went.

It's a blast modifying things that really don't have much value. No real loss if it doesn't end up rad and things get destroyed.

Wow! Nice job - especially the p'g! Really Very Cool Indeed!

[thumbup]

...It's got a little Brian May vibe to it I think too...

You beat me to it! That was my very thought the instant I saw it.

This sort of thing makes me want to hunt around the junk shops for an old, unloved guitar....

P.

Man that is a cool Cort!! I remember thumbing through the sears catalog back in the 80's drooling at the few Cort guitars they had in it. I have never saw one since then. Nice job and it brings back childhood memories!!

I simply adore scurrying between thrift shops and pawn shops to find some oddball piece to reclaim. I'm not interested in the profit it may carry but rather the fulfillment of a projects completion and exchanging of it to another adorning soul. I put this one up on eBay. Way too many projects to fund over here. Fix one and done!

I really like how textured this one looks. I just looked up Brian May's guitar and hot dang! No wonder this one looks so rad, I was poisoned by his creativity. Very cool stuff the subconscious mind. I literally drew this up on cardboard in my shop with no visible references other than the shape of the guitars body. It's amazing how the minds eye is captured collectively.

Thanks for the kind words!

Archived