Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Del Rey - Trans Black & OBL Pickups

Victek

I saw an ad on CL recently for an Epi Del Rey. It's Trans Black and has OBL humbuckers - very nice looking guitar. I'm curious to know more about the pickups as I haven't heard of them before. I'm also interested in opinions about the Del Rey in general. The owner is asking $250 which seems like a fair price. TIA

• 4 months later...

I'll revive this thread.....the Epiphone Del Rey is probably one of the best guitars ever made by Epiphone, I had three now two as I sold one to a buddy, my original 99 I bought new, a 95 prototype and a 97, all three were different, the earliest have thin necks, thinner more carved bodies,real tune a matic bridge,gotah LP style tuners. the necks and bodies got thicker over the years and also the heel of the neck and tennon changed slightly, I personally like the 99 the best BUT the earliest one has very heavy body, copper sheilding in the cavity and a really slim d shaped neck. Bottom line they are excellent guitars, The frets are like the early SG's, the neck is FAST and flat, beautiful fit and finish, the OBL pickups are awesome, even though they are a Korean loose knockoff of a Bill Lawrence they are hot, clear, super quiet and clean up nicely, I own 31 guitars and the Del Reys are one of the very few I kept the stock pickups in because they sound so good, they also split well and again are super quiet just like the real deals. The Del Rey is still one of my favorite go to guitars because it always plays like a dream and sounds excellent. Bottom line if you can find a Del Rey, especially the 98 up models BUY IT! you will not be dissapointed, they play,sound, look like a guitar that costs well over a grand ( they all look good now) in 99 the 550.00 it cost was an extreme bargain, I have not had to touch the setup since I did it in 99, that tells you something about the quality of this guitar. Left to right oldest to newest.........1000444d.jpg

• 1 year later...

I saw one in a guitar store about 10 years ago and I remember it caught my attention. Says something because I normally don't go for that kind of guitar. Looked and felt very high end. I think it was a butterscotch color. [thumbup]

• 1 year later...

I'll revive this thread.....the Epiphone Del Rey is probably one of the best guitars ever made by Epiphone, I had three now two as I sold one to a buddy, my original 99 I bought new, a 95 prototype and a 97, all three were different, the earliest have thin necks, thinner more carved bodies,real tune a matic bridge,gotah LP style tuners. the necks and bodies got thicker over the years and also the heel of the neck and tennon changed slightly, I personally like the 99 the best BUT the earliest one has very heavy body, copper sheilding in the cavity and a really slim d shaped neck. Bottom line they are excellent guitars, The frets are like the early SG's, the neck is FAST and flat, beautiful fit and finish, the OBL pickups are awesome, even though they are a Korean loose knockoff of a Bill Lawrence they are hot, clear, super quiet and clean up nicely, I own 31 guitars and the Del Reys are one of the very few I kept the stock pickups in because they sound so good, they also split well and again are super quiet just like the real deals. The Del Rey is still one of my favorite go to guitars because it always plays like a dream and sounds excellent. Bottom line if you can find a Del Rey, especially the 98 up models BUY IT! you will not be dissapointed, they play,sound, look like a guitar that costs well over a grand ( they all look good now) in 99 the 550.00 it cost was an extreme bargain, I have not had to touch the setup since I did it in 99, that tells you something about the quality of this guitar. Left to right oldest to newest.........1000444d.jpg

Would love to pick your brain sometimes.

I have one of these. Many questions, first of which is are Yours bolt on or set in necks? They made both.

Mine does not have controls that coil tap or anything push/pull.

Mine came with the infamous rubber studs or at least it bends that way, Steinberger vibrato.

rossw.lovell@yahoo.com

Archived