Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG vs older

Lobomov

Ok .. I've been kinda GAS'ing for a Gibson SG for a while now. I've tried the Gibson SG 2013 standard. It has the 1961 reissue slimtaper neck, Classic 57 pups and the small pickguard instead of the full bat wing. I've been reading about them being on clearance sale in the US for 800-900$ a piece, but so far no such luch here in Europe, hopefully that will happen, but I'm not counting on it.

image_3_zps1215db5f.jpg

Right now buying it new is my only option and it stands at around 1600-1700$, tho if I have to buy a new one, then I'll grab a 2014 in walnut. Sure does look sweet in the promotion pics :)

Now older models 2005-2008'ish pop up frequently on the used marked for around 900-1000$, which a bit cheaper, but I have never held one of those ever, so if you don't mind, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I believe they have a thick 50s neck, 490T/498R pups and off course the full bat wing. How is that neck? Is it the same as one the 2013 Les Paul Traditional or? (The only two 50s Gibson necks I've tried is the 2013 LP trad and my old Howard Roberts, which I believe has a 1959 neck)

And how do the pups compare in your opinion? (While I maybe can quickly get an impression of the neck once a visit a seller in person, I have no idea what kind of amp if any there will be to try it on).

Also if there is anything else you'd like to share, pls do :)

Oh .. and of course a pic of the older SG

jin8dl.jpg

Well, the other difference, besides pickguard and pickups, in most SG Standards

prior to 2013, was less beveling (narrower/shallower), and NO horn tapering.

For some folks, that's "no big deal," but for me, it was a deal breaker! Since

Gibson went back to wider/deeper bevels, and that lovely horn tapering, I went

"crazy" and bought 4, in the last year. Barring them making a Jr. and Special

with those features, I'll be staying out of SG "rehab" for the moment. [biggrin]

The 2013 has the nicer bevels, and horn tapering, like the original early 60's

versions did. And, it has the "option" of the mini-tune system. It's my

understanding, that the 2014 models come WITH the mini-tune system, ONLY! So,

that may, or may not, be a consideration, for you?

Good Luck, whatever you decide to get. And, remember...Photo's, or it didn't happen! [biggrin]

CB

It's my understanding, that the 2014 models come WITH the mini-tune system, ONLY! So,

that may, or may not, be a consideration, for you?

CB

This is my understanding, too. I think this is odd. Perhaps the latest SGs weren't enough neck-heavy? [scared]

So they perhaps try to merge tradition and progress this way [biggrin]

I had a 2005 SG Standard, and I never really got on with it. I am used to a slim taper neck, and the D-shaped one on the SG just didn't feel nice. In addition, it made the guitar too head-heavy. The pickups were VERY loud, but I felt they lacked warmth.

I now have a 2013 Standard natural burst, and I really like it. The neck is lovely, and the pickups sound nice too. It's a much brighter sound than my LP Classic, but still warm.

Ultimately, make sure you try before you buy. Even with my cloth ears, I noticed a difference in tone between my guitar and another Standard in the same shop. Mine sounded nicer, and that's what swung it for me.

I had a 2005 SG Standard, and I never really got on with it. I am used to a slim taper neck, and the D-shaped one on the SG just didn't feel nice. In addition, it made the guitar too head-heavy. The pickups were VERY loud, but I felt they lacked warmth.

I now have a 2013 Standard natural burst, and I really like it. The neck is lovely, and the pickups sound nice too. It's a much brighter sound than my LP Classic, but still warm.

Ultimately, make sure you try before you buy. Even with my cloth ears, I noticed a difference in tone between my guitar and another Standard in the same shop. Mine sounded nicer, and that's what swung it for me.

In addition, the Natural Burst finish is a very beautiful one, and so in your 2013 Standard looks meet tone. [thumbup]

I had a 2006 standard with natural burst finish with the SG profile neck. I thought it was a great playing guitar and the pick ups 490 & 498 sounded great. The neck was not as full as a standard 50's gibson profile but not as small as the 60's slim. I now have a 2009 standard with the split coil burst bucker configuration and a 60's slim profile neck. I think the neck is a bit smaller and I like it but I find the burst bucker split coil configuration on the bridge lacking a bit. I still like the guitar and I am thinking of taking and putting the 490 and 498 combo in it. Good luck, Tim

Archived