Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice with identifying/selling a Steinberger guitar

kobus

Hello!

I recently purchased a roughly 25 year-old black Steinberger guitar for $350 from a co-worker. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out what exact model it is or how much it's worth. Any insight or if you could pass on a decent website/forum for this type of thing would be amazingly helpful! Thanks!

Here are some details and pictures I have:

Patent Number - US Patent No: 4,192,213 Serial Number - 3708 http://imgur.com/a/Z624A

Sorry, after looking at the picture of the back again I can see the screws that hold the face plate on so the following info is not accurate. This looks like one of the last GLBs that MusicYo sold that had the T-Trem not normally found on this model. When MusicYo was shutting it's doors they were dumping the last bit of inventory and put guitars together with what they had on hand. I am guessing they were probably out of S-Trems that this model is usually paired with. I think they sold for $995 at the time which was a great deal because most T-Trems are valued around $1000 by themselves. You could probably get over $1000 for it if the term is in good shape. This model was not one that was particularly popular because it was a lower end version of the GL that was carbon fiber and the original Steinberger model that caused the guitar world to sit up and take notice of the company. Hope this info helps!

This looks like one of the last GLBs that MusicYo sold that had the T-Trem not normally found on this model. When MusicYo was shutting it's doors they were dumping the last bit of inventory and put guitars together with what they had on hand. I am guessing they were probably out of S-Trems that this model is usually paired with. I think they sold for $995 at the time which was a great deal because most T-Trems are valued around $1000 by themselves. You could probably get over $1000 for it if the term is in good shape. This model was not one that was particularly popular because it was a lower end version of the GL that was carbon fiber and the original Steinberger model that caused the guitar world to sit up and take notice of the company. Hope this info helps!

Awesome thanks so much for the reply!

I should have added that the body is made out of carbon fibre. Also, the guy who sold it to me said he's had it for around 25 years, does that change anything? I also noticed that compared to this picture of the GLB-2S - http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-86458-Steinberger-USA-GLB-2S-Electric-Guitar-Black , the backside is completely solid other than the battery slot. Also the serial number is at the bottom of the guitar, not on the neck.

I don't know if this changes anything but from what I've been reading they seem like different model.

Thanks again for the help!

Awesome thanks so much for the reply!

I should have added that the body is made out of carbon fibre. Also, the guy who sold it to me said he's had it for around 25 years, does that change anything? I also noticed that compared to this picture of the GLB-2S - http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-86458-Steinberger-USA-GLB-2S-Electric-Guitar-Black , the backside is completely solid other than the battery slot. Also the serial number is at the bottom of the guitar, not on the neck.

I don't know if this changes anything but from what I've been reading they seem like different model.

Thanks again for the help!

Sorry, your pictures are so poor that I could not see the screws in the back. It looked like a solid body in the picture but once I zoomed in I could see some blurry screws on the back that hold the face plate on. You are right it looks like a GL. not a GLB. So it will bring a lot more than what I told you. Here is a link to a group of users that can give you more info.. Steinberger at Yahoo

Hello!

I recently purchased a roughly 25 year-old black Steinberger guitar for $350 from a co-worker. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out what exact model it is or how much it's worth. Any insight or if you could pass on a decent website/forum for this type of thing would be amazingly helpful! Thanks!

Here are some details and pictures I have:

Patent Number - US Patent No: 4,192,213 Serial Number - 3708 http://imgur.com/a/Z624A

Brent's first answer was correct, it is a GL2T. And even better, it's a GL2T with an unmodified TransTrem 1, like this one for example. It has the wrong strings mounted (it needs double ball strings with the threaded ball end on one side), but apart from that it seems to be in good shape. You should thank your co-worker for not knowing what he has ;)

Bernd

Sorry, your pictures are so poor that I could not see the screws in the back. It looked like a solid body in the picture but once I zoomed in I could see some blurry screws on the back that hold the face plate on. You are right it looks like a GL. not a GLB. So it will bring a lot more than what I told you. Here is a link to a group of users that can give you more info.. Steinberger at Yahoo

Sorry about the poor pictures. Thanks a lot for the help. I'll be joining that Yahoo Steinberger group ASAP.

Brent's first answer was correct, it is a GL2T. And even better, it's a GL2T with an unmodified TransTrem 1, like this one for example. It has the wrong strings mounted (it needs double ball strings with the threaded ball end on one side), but apart from that it seems to be in good shape. You should thank your co-worker for not knowing what he has ;)

Bernd

Hey Bernd,

That's really really helpful! Thanks a lot! I'm joining that Yahoo Steinberger group now so hopefully I can figure out what it's really worth.

Best,

Andrew

I'm joining that Yahoo Steinberger group now so hopefully I can figure out what it's really worth.

Best,

Andrew

You are probably looking at a value of $2500 to $3500 depending on overall condition. If the pictures you linked to are of the guitar I would guess you could be looking at a value closer to the $3500 range.

That's really really helpful! Thanks a lot! I'm joining that Yahoo Steinberger group now so hopefully I can figure out what it's really worth.

Hi Andrew,

again, Brent is correct with the price range. A realistic price range, without a 3rd party or dealer involved.

Do you consider selling the guitar internationally?

Bernd

You are probably looking at a value of $2500 to $3500 depending on overall condition. If the pictures you linked to are of the guitar I would guess you could be looking at a value closer to the $3500 range.

Wow. I'm in shock. Although I have no idea how to upraise the condition of the guitar, I'd say it's in good - great condition, I guess I'll be researching this next. Unfortunately, I don't have the leg rest. Do you think this is a big factor in the price?

I guess my next question is, where do I go from here? I was just going to throw it up on craigslist and see what I got but I guess I should take another approach. (Feel no need to aid me any further, you've done MORE than enough).

Hi Andrew,

again, Brent is correct with the price range. A realistic price range, without a 3rd party or dealer involved.

Do you consider selling the guitar internationally?

Bernd

Hey Bernd,

Yeah absolutely I'd sell it internationally. Like I said in my last post, I was just hoping to throw it on craiglist or kijiji and make a few hundred in profit. I'm not sure exactly how to go about this but I'm assuming I'd have to sell it to a dealer probably from the states? I'm based in Montreal/Toronto, Canada.

Best,

Andrew

Hey Bernd,

Yeah absolutely I'd sell it internationally. Like I said in my last post, I was just hoping to throw it on craiglist or kijiji and make a few hundred in profit. I'm not sure exactly how to go about this but I'm assuming I'd have to sell it to a dealer probably from the states? I'm based in Montreal/Toronto, Canada.

Andrew,

I've sent a PM.

Best regards,

Bernd

Archived