Gibson Brands Forums

New EB 2014 good and not so good news

PeterB4407

I received my vintage red EB2014 4 string bass today.

The good news: fit and finish all good and the setup is pretty much spot on. The tone is really impressive too. I'm very pleased.

So all's good except: It does neck dive. I fitted a grippy 'Comfort Strapp' and that countered it although it still pulls on my shoulder. Not a real issue though.

Even though I've owned many basses this is my 1st Gibson so I checked on the forum for advice on removing the knobs before getting rid of the unsightly pick guard film. I used the cloth wrapped around the knob idea as recommended on here and the volume pot spindle came out complete. So that's a brand new bass with a knackered pot :rolleyes: It won't push back in and I'm sure that Gibson won't consider this a warranty issue.

The knobs are either glued on or too tight for the pull switch pots I'd suggest.

So now to find a replacement pot, or is it worth completely replacing the harness? Are Gibson pots budget items that bear replacement?

So a 1st post and generally I'm very pleased except 'I broke it' [confused] Not a good start.

knob-L.jpg

Peter

An update. I wrongly thought that the pickup switching on the EB was series/parallel. This isn't that case, it's actually series/tuned single coil.

Today I fitted:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/pj_2ppdualsndv_1pptseries.pdf

Two pull switch volume pots and a pull switch tone.

The volume pots pull out for parallel over series humbuckers and the tone pot pulls out for series pickups.

Now it's a much improved beast. Pickups are quiet, powerful and delightfully unsubtle. The switching gives much better tonal variations. A very worthwhile mod.

Peter

Archived