Gibson Brands Forums

Quality of Maple under Gold Top Les Paul

Well, I think this will be a very pretty plain top. The graining looks marvellous to my eyes. What a bummer to have hidden this nice wood with an opaque finish.

Yes it is indeed, I am going to take a little break from this for now. I hope to start the spraying soon though. I think I will do some more careful sanding in the meantime. I am also contemplating adding some amber to the back of the plain maple neck.

Yes it is indeed, I am going to take a little break from this for now. I hope to start the spraying soon though. I think I will do some more careful sanding in the meantime. I am also contemplating adding some amber to the back of the plain maple neck.

Depending on your final colour decision for the top, it could indeed look even nicer with a matching back of the neck.

Depending on your final colour decision for the top, it could indeed look even nicer with a matching back of the neck.

I may be able to just simply spray over the existing clear with some amber tint. It will darken naturally anyway especially I leave it in the sun, but I may just shoot it now.

I may be able to just simply spray over the existing clear with some amber tint. It will darken naturally anyway especially I leave it in the sun, but I may just shoot it now.

Do you think it will bond without previously roughening up the neck finish?

• 1 month later...

Wooaaaahhh... looks darn nice. Pretty well done, Pete, congrats on your great work! [thumbup]

Reminds me of honey without the burst, and so still with a rather golden than amber touch. Definitely as fine as unique I think! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Wooaaaahhh... looks darn nice. Pretty well done, Pete, congrats on your great work! [thumbup]

Reminds me of honey without the burst, and so still with a rather golden than amber touch. Definitely as fine as unique I think! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks Caps! I added a little vintage maple transtint to the vintage amber so it wouldn't be too yellow, without it it clashed with the back. I wanted it to stay golden to be true to the serial number.

Thanks Caps! I added a little vintage maple transtint to the vintage amber so it wouldn't be too yellow, without it it clashed with the back. I wanted it to stay golden to be true to the serial number.

You made it indeed a translucent Gold Top. [thumbup]

That was cool, thanks for posting the progress of the work. The finished guitar looks fantastic! Gold hardware would really set it off, IMO.

Now, if only I had your skills, I might try something like this.

That was cool, thanks for posting the progress of the work. The finished guitar looks fantastic! Gold hardware would really set it off, IMO.

Now, if only I had your skills, I might try something like this.

I don't have any guitars with gold hardware, I agree it would look good. My only concern is the gold peeling off. What guitar would you want to try to refinish?

• 1 month later...

Archived