Gibson Brands Forums

New Government Series 2

Rabs

Government Series II

Great Gibson electric guitars have long been a means of fighting the establishment, so when the powers that be confiscated stocks of tonewoods from the Gibson factory in Nashvilleonly to return them once there was a resolution and the investigation endedit was an event worth celebrating. Introducing the Government Series II Les Paul, a striking new guitar from Gibson USA for 2014 that suitably marks this infamous time in Gibsons history.

A distinctive vintage-gloss Government Tan finish, complemented by black-chrome hardware and black plastics and trim, is topped by a pickguard that’s hot-stamped in gold with the Government Series graphic—a bald eagle hoisting a Gibson guitar neck. Each Government Series II Les Paul also includes a genuine piece of Gibson USA history in its solid rosewood fingerboard, which is made from wood returned to Gibson by the US government after the resolution.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Les-Paul.aspx

Splasljblblbkbppbpbh-02_zps2c9660d5.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Explorer.aspx

Splashfxuiyrirycy02_zps3736b772.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-SG.aspx

Splasikjvjhcihvkjggvcdrdh-02_zps3f3c4753.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Flying-V.aspx

Splhjgclhkhkhfxeddedeash-02_zps97b3e235.jpg

mahgerd how long can they milk this stupid thing? Another year, another wasted opportunity to put guitars out there that ten thousand people would buy instead of what? Another "limited run" of 400 each, or some other stroke of retail genius? Man, I so thought and think our hosts can do better than this.

rct

I am not buying a beige Flying V

Oddly enough since seeing the cut-up Explorer I've been thinking (not really seriously) about them and for $999 + however much a nice re-spray would cost........

I'd have to change all the black h'ware too; but Rabs is on a 'Black' theme just now so perhaps he'd make me an offer.......

P.

Oddly enough since seeing the cut-up Explorer I've been thinking (not really seriously) about them and for $999 + however much a nice re-spray would cost........

I'd have to change all the black h'ware too; but Rabs is on a 'Black' theme just now so perhaps he'd make me an offer.......

P.

:D

Yup.. me loving the black stuff at the moment :)

And who could resist one of these.. Its part of Gibsons history with a confiscated fingerboard that was probably kept in an unconditioned room for 6 months.. Who wouldn't want that :^o

P.

I got to see two 1958 Explorers and two V of the same year in a guitar exhibit presented by Gruhn's at the Tennessee Museum, I recognized the set owned by Rick Vito of Fleetwood Mac fame because I have the cover of Vintage Guitar framed in my room. The other set of Explorer/V was in much better condition, the V had been owned by Clapton at some point.

Exceptionally beautiful guitars.

This is not meant to help your GAS Pippy.

32987ADC-75A6-4D02-9867-C86FD4E17F7D_zps0suaaaiu.jpg

This is not meant to help your GAS Pippy....

Gee, Thanks, Riffster...........LOL!

Stunning guitars. I'd like to have read that issue!

As it happens I was discussing these pointy-guitars with another forumite a few months back and he reminded of this ad from back in the day;

ClaptonMusicMan_zps6740bde0.jpg

Well, I've got the M-M amp. Now all I need is the Explorer...........and a fraction of EC's playing skills would be a welcome bonus.......HA!

P.

I think the gov owes gibson financial restitution for the hassle they caused. Of all the things for them to worry about and spend time +$$ on,,what some gtr mfgr wood they use? Im hearing:: Beatles:: Revolution

Just want to clarify,,Im not implying any type of civil unrest,,or anything like that when I mentioned the Beatles tune,,It was just playing on my radio,,thats all. But I still think that there are far more important things for the gov to worry about than the wood any gtr mfgr uses,,like for example ,,, the roads and streets in my community,,they are in bad shape,,need repair,,and many other things that effect the residents of my area,,need attention. We would benefit from $$ going to things like that more than hassling Gibson about what materials they use,,thats all. Happy Motoring!

:D

Yup.. me loving the black stuff at the moment :)

And who could resist one of these.. Its part of Gibsons history with a confiscated fingerboard that was probably kept in an unconditioned room for 6 months.. Who wouldn't want that :^o

Maybe the wood's reconditioning took until now, so they appear later than they had planned. The web advertisement looks like pre-2014 at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the issueing of this special run rather humorous. Many of the special runs don't make any sense to me at all (except of course to try to make money), but this one seems a little tongue in cheek, and I am glad that Gibson came out of that whole wood issue with a sense of humor intact. The govt tan finish doesn't really appeal to me, but owning one of these with the confiscated and then returned rosewood neck would be a great story years down the road.

So............what's the deal with the availability of the 2014 models? I have contacted a few dealers in the midwest and they say they can't order one because there is no product code. Yet I have seen a few for sale (2014 Gov't Tan) at some of the big stores.

Archived