Gibson Brands Forums

1985 Explorer Bass

jculpjr

Hello all- this is my first post here.

I found a 1986 Explorer bass at a pawn shop. After some research, it appears that the guitar was originally red with a black-top headstock. A previous owner saw fit to install (poorly) two switches and a couple lights near the the controls. I really like the bass, but I'm also concerned that I may have overpaid ($750) for the bass. I've read conflicting information about the values of these basses- from $1200 to $2500 depending on originality. So as a rule of thumb, I think that refinished basses are typically worth about half the value of an original guitar, so I'm borderline on being underwater on this thing.

So I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to return the guitar to it's original red livery. I really like the guitar- it sounds great, looks great and I love the neck action. I just don't want to be "stuck" with a bass that I cannot get my money back out of in the future should I decide to sell.

With a refinish, I could fill the modified holes and take it back to original specifications which would be cool, but it will take some dollars to get the guitar right. If I do refinish the guitar to original spec, does anyone have any idea of values of correct refin Explorers?

One thing I noticed is that there isn't a trace of red in the control compartment- were these compartments usually sprayed body color or were they left natural typically?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I gibson1_zpse19a6be0.jpg

gibson2_zpsfbdd6d1b.jpg

gibson3_zps67936654.jpg

gibson5_zps327347fd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I owned one of these very briefly around 1996. It was Ferrari red, and had a stock pickup/control configuration. I played it for two songs live, then sold it right away. It was not my cup of tea- it was neck heavy, and no matter what I did - it always sounded "planky", like someone dropping a 2x4 on a concrete floor.

If the bass works for you, then ride it like you stole it. I actually like the natural look of the wood over "hair metal red", so I would keep it as is, or have it profesionally refinished in a nice clear coat, translucent, or burst. Just my opinion. It's cool to see the maple neck and the mahogany body- pretty sure the Explorer I had was either Maple or Alder. It was a very light wood, and definitely wasn't Mahogany.

• 1 month later...

Here is what I know about 80's explorer basses. The body is alder. My local GC has an 85 in black, totally stock. They want a grand for it. From what I could find out there were about 100 a year made for 3 years, 84-86. I have a 85 flying V guitar in cardinal red, the control cavity is painted. Maybe the previous owner stripped the paint from there also. If that were mine and I liked it, I'd stain the body to protect it and play it like I stole it.

Archived