Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Les Paul

Carmine457

Hey everyone i am new and i was wondering if i am able to approach Gibson with these specs and they would make it for me...

here are the specs:

Body wood: mahogany

Top Wood: Mahogany

Back Wood: mahogany

Neck: mahogany

Fretboard: rosewood

Inlay: Mother of Pearl (like the Supreme)

Top Binding: Three Ply

Back Binding: none

Model: les paul

Bridge: Les Paul

Scale length: 25.5"

Nut: Regular

Tuners: Vintage

Fret Wire: Small

Fret Size: large (like 1959)

Bridge PU: SH-15

Neck PU: Sh-1

Middle PU: SH-14

All three PUs with Gold Covers

2 tone and 2 volume knobs

3 way PU selector with CTS pot to split Humbuckers

22 frets

Color is white

unchambered body

From what i've heard, they'll only do custom orders if the order is for a bulk # of guitars (i think around a dozen + or something)

I know someone on the forums got a custom guitar built from Gibson before, when they used to take single guitar custom orders. I think the member is deepblue. If i remember correctly, his guitar was around 10 grand an he said that most custom builts would be around that price or more (but it depended on how unique of a guitar it was etc.).

A while back i heard talk that Gibson may be bringing single order custom guitars back, but that was a little while ago and i haven't hear any news on the subject for a while.

I'd recommend e-mailing Gibson or going to the custom shop part of the forum, maybe someone there would be able to answer your question better there.

Good luck on trying to get a custom guitar! Hopefully they are bringing the single guitar custom orders back. If i ever get the $$$ i think it would be pretty cool. But until then i'm just gonna mod my guitar out.

I hope i helped.

btw, if it doesn't have to be a Gibson you can go to Warmoth's website. there you can build your own custom guitar. They have some neat features. I'm pretty sure that they can only do bolt on necks there though. Worth checking out regardless. It's just fun to look at that website.

Mike the Gibson admin said that they are taking one off orders again...Check out the custom section of the forums...there is a thread that shows some dude's custom LP with a magnificent figured top, abalone inlays, etc. He paid $10k + for it....it's beautiful, but i can't imagine paying that much for something that you can't drive or live in...

Mike the Gibson admin said that they are taking one off orders again...Check out the custom section of the forums...there is a thread that shows some dude's custom LP with a magnificent figured top' date=' abalone inlays, etc. He paid $10k + for it....it's beautiful, but i can't imagine paying that much for something that you can't drive or live in...[/quote']

Cool, glad they're doing that again! Some people come up with some neat guitar ideas. Maybe someday i'll be able to afford one (and make sense of spending that much money on a guitar!)

Do you happen to know what that thread was called? I love looking at custom guitars. :D

This is going to be a little off the subject but here are my feelings on custom guitars...

I like to buy my guitars off the rack. I don't try a floor model and then take an untouched one out of stock. If I really want one that isn't a floor model, I ask to see some models out of available stock.

Why?

There is no getting around the fact that wood varies and two guitars built by the same guy on the same day out of virtually the same materials can still sound and feel pretty different just because the wood can be different.

I'm a pretty firm believer that pickups have a greater influence over the sound you hear out of your amplifier much more than the wood used to construct the guitar. However, different pieces of wood vibrate more or less than others. From what I've learned from other players is that this factor isn't as important to them as the resulting sound coming out of the amp. But, for me, I really need that tactile feedback coming from the body and neck of the guitar; I want to *feel* what I'm playing as well as hear it.

So, when you order a custom guitar, you're getting a guitar that you've never played before and you're pretty much committed to buying it whether you like it or not.

Done.

This is going to be a little off the subject but here are my feelings on custom guitars...

I like to buy my guitars off the rack. I don't try a floor model and then take an untouched one out of stock. If I really want one that isn't a floor model' date=' I ask to see some models out of available stock.

Why?

There is no getting around the fact that wood varies and two guitars built by the same guy on the same day out of virtually the same materials can still sound and feel pretty different just because the wood can be different.

I'm a pretty firm believer that pickups have a greater influence over the sound you hear out of your amplifier much more than the wood used to construct the guitar. However, different pieces of wood vibrate more or less than others. From what I've learned from other players is that this factor isn't as important to them as the resulting sound coming out of the amp. But, for me, I really need that tactile feedback coming from the body and neck of the guitar; I want to *feel* what I'm playing as well as hear it.

So, when you order a custom guitar, you're getting a guitar that you've never played before and you're pretty much committed to buying it whether you like it or not.

Done.

[/quote']

Your right...but what if your gassin for something that you can't find anywhere, and I'm talking about really gassin...I want a '54 LP Custom Black Beauty, you know the 2 pup version with the P90 at the bridge and the alnico V at the neck, all mahogany, nickel HW in a light Tobacco Burst (NOT black w/gold hw). I'm pretty sure that it'll sound like what I want and feel like what I want even though I wouldn't get to play it until after I owned it.

It is a very expensive gamble though...It's just a dream for me anyway...my wife is a good shot.

Your right...but what if your gassin for something that you can't find anywhere' date=' and I'm talking about really gassin...I want a '54 LP Custom Black Beauty, you know the 2 pup version with the P90 at the bridge and the alnico V at the neck, all mahogany, nickel HW in a light Tobacco Burst (NOT black w/gold hw). I'm pretty sure that it'll sound like what I want and feel like what I want even though I wouldn't get to play it until after I owned it.

It is a very expensive gamble though...It's just a dream for me anyway...my wife is a good shot.[/quote']

Like you said, it's a gamble but, if you want it that bad, you take a shot and hope for the best.

Archived