Gibson Brands Forums

Warranty Registration

Victory Pete

I have been sending in warranty registration cards in to Gibson for over 20 years. Does anyone know how they store them? I just did my first online registration today. I suppose it isn't necessary to send in the card too. It would be nice if Gibson had an online "My Gibson" site where owners can view the specs of their own instruments by serial number. Whenever I call 1-800-Gibson to ask questions about any one of my guitars they seem to have all the information, why cant we have access to this?

I have been sending in warranty registration cards in to Gibson for over 20 years. Does anyone know how they store them? I just did my first online registration today. I suppose it isn't necessary to send in the card too. It would be nice if Gibson had an online "My Gibson" site where owners can view the specs of their own instruments by serial number. Whenever I call 1-800-Gibson to ask questions about any one of my guitars they seem to have all the information, why cant we have access to this?

I wondered about the warranty process. I recently bought a few new Gibson's and have not even tried to register them with the company. I suppose that would be the right thing to do if I ever expect to have any of my guitars dealt with appropriately in the future if they break.

I wondered about the warranty process. I recently bought a few new Gibson's and have not even tried to register them with the company. I suppose that would be the right thing to do if I ever expect to have any of my guitars dealt with appropriately in the future if they break.

Yes, the registration card says to mail it within 15 days. I usually wait until I know the guitar is a keeper before I send them in. I would think that if Gibson ever denies warranty work because a card was sent in late, they would be slapping the customers face.

your origional purchase recipt is also your registration.....and to answer the OPs question, they won't release info by ser# because that would only help counterfieters.

who else really NEEDS info on a guitar they already have?

Serial numbers and information could easily be secure, accessible only to the owner. New Gibson's specs are even a mystery when the guitar is hanging on the wall at the store. They should at least provide a tag with the specs on it. I think it is absolutely stupid that Gibson doesn't list what pickups are in their guitars. I have 7 Gibsons and would love to know the specs from time to time, like manufacture date. The specs that are currently on Gibson's website for new models are what I am talking about, go look, a lot of useful information.

In California, by law, you are not required to fill in warantee registration cards.

Submitting registrations is part of a marketing ploy to sell your information, since it is not regulated.

I've found this to be mostly true! All registration (of anything) ever got me was a ton of spam e or snail mail...

I still do it though, out of my own sense of paranoia I suppose, that my product won't be covered unless I perform the "warranty" registration.

Places like Sweetwater and a few others actually put pictures with associated serial numbers on the website of the exact guitar you're buying. If they don't your sales associate will give you that information!

Serial numbers and information could easily be secure, accessible only to the owner. New Gibson's specs are even a mystery when the guitar is hanging on the wall at the store. They should at least provide a tag with the specs on it. I think it is absolutely stupid that Gibson doesn't list what pickups are in their guitars. I have 7 Gibsons and would love to know the specs from time to time, like manufacture date. The specs that are currently on Gibson's website for new models are what I am talking about, go look, a lot of useful information.

can't help you with which p'ups but modern Gibbies are fairly easy to de-code the mfgr date, if you don't trust "the guitar dater project" websites info, which usually even tells you which factory it comes from Nashville/Memphis/etc.

1st & 5th numbers are the year

2nd, 3rd, and 4th are day of that year

numbers past 5th are product stamping # for that day

such as:

822680320 would be the 320th guitar stamped on the 226th day of 1988.

can't help you with which p'ups but modern Gibbies are fairly easy to de-code the mfgr date, if you don't trust "the guitar dater project" websites info, which usually even tells you which factory it comes from Nashville/Memphis/etc.

such as:

Thanks for the serial number information. I will check all my Gibsons and see how accurate that is.

Thanks for the serial number information. I will check all my Gibsons and see how accurate that is.

you're welcome......I should have added that special runs, historic re-issues, and a few others have different numbering methods. but for most "regular production" Gibbies this formula is what's used.

• 4 years later...

such as:

As of October 17, 2018, that Gibson serial number scheme is no longer valid for Gibson USA guitars that were manufactured after 2013. Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.

The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).

The pattern is as follows:

YYRRRRRRR

YY is the model year

RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

As of October 17, 2018, that Gibson serial number scheme is no longer valid for Gibson USA guitars that were manufactured after 2013. Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.

The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).

The pattern is as follows:

YYRRRRRRR

YY is the model year

RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

I have many 2016 Gibson Acoustics and the serial numbers are not different than what has been used for a long time.

One thing I will say for GIBSON Is every time I call them and give them a SERIAL#, they have the correct info for the Guitar in seconds ! So, in a way, you do have access to the info.....its just that the info is only available via Phone Call during business hours as oppossed to 24/7/365 On-Line...I'd not be holding my breath waiting for GIBSON USA to do anything.

I have many 2016 Gibson Acoustics and the serial numbers are not different than what has been used for a long time.

YES, the YDDDYRRR is still used on Acoustic GIBSON's , That system was implemented in 1977(or close to it +/- a year or two) and was pretty useful to me, once you memorize it you never forget it and when you see a GIBSON USA Electric with a serial # that has any # numerically higher than 365 for its 2nd ,3RD & 4TH digits...keep it movin as its a fraud !

Archived