Gibson Brands Forums

Incoming... AJ500M Gloss

MorrisrownSal

I already have an AJ500R - a a really swell guitar (actually my son has it - I gave it to him). I actually prefer the sound of the AJ500Ms I have played, but have never been lucky in terms of landing one that didnt have issues (Seconds, Used stamp, twisted necks etc...).

Hopefully that changes this week - I bought one from a guy in Georgia, and it shipped today. Hope it makes the journey in the cold ok!

I can't wait to get it.

Well I got it today... It's in great condition. Reallllly sweet tone. I am going to take her to Russo's for a new saddle and pins, as the plastic bridge and pins are in rough condition. It also has what appears to be an old K&K installed, but with a soundhole magnetically-affixed little preamp. The wires bounce around inside, and I am actually lucky because the battery was bouncing around in the guitar when it was shipped to me. Phew - no damage! I am pretty sure I just want this pickup gone, and the guitar just acoustically pure. That preamp is "attached" to a big old magnet glued under the top - weird... but I have to think the guitar is better off without it.

What do you think? Ever seen that kind of pickup setup?

AJ500MNA_zps4e727860.jpg

Nice, Sal. Hope you enjoy it.

By the way, that saddle may not be plastic. Masterbilts had compensated bone saddles when they first came out. Don't know about the later gloss versions, though. As you probably know, there is sometimes a rubber shim in the slot, too. Of course, if the saddle is in rough shape, it must certainly be plastic, as bone is pretty hard to mess up with any kind of normal use.

Red 333

Nice, Sal. Hope you enjoy it.

By the way, that saddle may not be plastic. Masterbilts had compensated bone saddles when they first came out. Don't know about the later gloss versions, though. As you probably know, there is sometimes a rubber shim in the slot, too. Of course, if the saddle is in rough shape, it must certainly be plastic, as bone is pretty hard to mess up with any kind of normal use.

Red 333

Thanks Red. This is plastic... The action is perfect but I think because of the saddle the sustain is a little "dull". Regardless I will enjoy it. I will get her fixed up this weekend.

Congratulations Sal! I rate my 500-M as one of the highest ranking guitars I ever owned, particularly where it comes to singing, and I've owned 27 high enders... The M blends like butter with the voice if you play lightly, and roars like thunder if you dig in to those strings. My M ranks as number one in my stall at the moment for vocal work of every kind and genre. She is affectionately known and named simply "M" Good luck! Let us know how your M works out! By the way I also have an AJ-500R...and yes I do prefer the tone of my M over the R...but the R is definitely top rated as a fine Rosewood! ..Just depends upon which mood your in when you pick those two Masterbilt gems up!

Thanks for sharing your sweet guitar. Although my AJ is satin, I much prefer a gloss to a satin finish. I've never seen a picture of one in gloss so it almost seems strange looking at yours. I agree that the projection and tone from these guitars are incredible. I'm amazed that occasionally I see them for sale on ebay. I don't know if I could sell mine under any circumstances.

Thanks guys. I got the guitar back. New saddle... Nice setup with masterbilt strings. This guitar is so sweet! GuitarLight I know exactly what you mean about picking soft and singing. I capo the fifth fret and finger pick and get these sweet, sweet tones. I am floored.

I actually tried two mail order over the last two years, unsuccessfully... They had issues and went back. I was very wary of trying again. Glad I did!

Playing some M. Ward tonight....

I have the maple version, too, but not glossy. It was my first Epiphone acoustic guitar, bought last fall...beautiful tone and playability...and looks!

I LOVE it so much I now have 4 Epi acoustics...and I use the Masterbilt strings, too.

I might just have to find a second Masterbilt...

mark

1392244837[/url]' post='1485628']

I'm really kicking myself for not getting the maple-bodied Masterbilt (the DR-500P) when it was available. They are rare, now!

Red 333

You and me both. I had one in my cart at least a half dozen times, and got cold feet. I have an EJ-200 I think is good, I can only imagine what a difference solid woods would make. Sigh!!!

I just posted this in Gibson Acoustic, but it equally belongs here too...

This is a quick comparison I did so you could see and hear my new-to-me Epiphone AJ500M and my Gibby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QGpOx_zoN8

Thanks that was very nice. I love comparison videos, even over the computer, it can reveal a lot about the nature of both your beautiful guitars. And they both sound sweet and clean and clear. I'm not sure if I closed my eyes and listened with only my ears, that I could tell for certain the difference between the two because they both sounded wonderful! Both are prizes for sure! Thanks for your work and enlightenment on two fine instruments! ...GL

I just posted this in Gibson Acoustic, but it equally belongs here too...

This is a quick comparison I did so you could see and hear my new-to-me Epiphone AJ500M and my Gibby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QGpOx_zoN8

Thanks, Sal. I enjoyed your comparison. The Epi has a good sound. The Gibby sounds pretty good to. [smile]

• 2 years later...

I already have an AJ500R - a a really swell guitar (actually my son has it - I gave it to him). I actually prefer the sound of the AJ500Ms I have played, but have never been lucky in terms of landing one that didnt have issues (Seconds, Used stamp, twisted necks etc...).

Hopefully that changes this week - I bought one from a guy in Georgia, and it shipped today. Hope it makes the journey in the cold ok!

I can't wait to get it.

Where's the video ? And does the grain looks worse than it should be cause people been saying gloss have worse grain than their satin Aj500 ?

Pic - http://imgur.com/IZhTz0y,J0BXmrW

I'm really kicking myself for not getting the maple-bodied Masterbilt (the DR-500P) when it was available. They are rare, now!

I'm reluctantly selling my maple EF500PNS, which is more rare than the DR. (I'm still trying to fund my Guild F412, which I already got.)

It's a 2003 Masterbilt solid maple back and sides, solid spruce top, like new and super rare. With SKB hardshell case. $650. I'll split the shipping with you.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm reluctantly selling my maple EF500PNS, which is more rare than the DR. (I'm still trying to fund my Guild F412, which I already got.)

It's a 2003 Masterbilt solid maple back and sides, solid spruce top, like new and super rare. With SKB hardshell case. $650. I'll split the shipping with you.

If you are still looking to sell I would really recommend Reverb.com . I just sold a guitar there and got a much better price than I would have on eBay and the fees are more reasonable. I've no connection to the site other than as a user.

If you were here in the UK I'd have snapped your hand off for that guitar at that price but shipping and taxes to the UK would likely come close to doubling the price. Oh and SWMBO would have my delicate bits for ear rings for buying two guitars in a month.

If you are still looking to sell I would really recommend Reverb.com . I just sold a guitar there and got a much better price than I would have on eBay and the fees are more reasonable.

Yep, that's where I'm headed. I've finally worked up the description and got all the photos together. I actually took a few guitars to my local guitarcenter to see what they'd give me. I know they only give about 60% of the value, which I was ready for, but then they underestimate the value to begin with, which results in a ridiculous offer. Forget that! I'll do the reverb.com thing. I certainly have enough guitar boxes to choose from for shipping. :rolleyes:

Archived