Gibson Brands Forums

Help for newbie!

smurf77

I was considering buying a LP standard but was told that they are pretty heavy for a gal so I decided to find out for myself. I tried one out and surprisingly found that it was pretty light compared to an Epiphone, which I was informed weighed less.

However, while I was trying a couple out an older guy said, 'they're rubbish now, not made the same anymore'. I went to another shop to view a couple more and enquiring why they were not as heavy as I assumed they would be was advised by the salesman that Gibson drill 9 holes in the body to make it lighter and so not being solid anymore makes a lot of difference to the original tone produced by older LP's.

Since then, I have been warned by fellow guitarists on other forums that Gibbos are not made too well nowadays either and the Tokai Love Rock LS85S at half the price is of superior quality in construction, gives more or less the true original LP sound and is a much better buy; especially if you upgrade the pups.

I am well peeved as I had been offered a brand new Gibbo LP std for £1300 and was excited about it and then all my hopes were dashed all in one day.

Any advice?

I have two Les Pauls. One is chambered (not filled with holes, but i'll get to that in a second), the other is a solid back. BOTH sound fantastic! There are hundreds of posts on all the guitar forums debating the chambering issue to death. Bottom line is if I plug it in and it has that tone that makes me all tingly in my swimsuit area, then that's all I care about.

Now, back to those holes. A few years ago, Gibson started "weight-relieving" Les Pauls by drilling holes in the mahogany backs before gluing on the maple top. Now they use hollow "tone-chambers" similar to the photo below (this is an Epiphone LP Ultra, so it's a bit different than a Gibson but it'll give you an idea)...

chambered_body.jpg

Gibson hasn't done the holes for years, so your salesman is either waaaay behind the times or has it out for Gibsons and tries to turn people off of them. Bottom line is if you like the tone, who cares what the salesman thinks. He's not the one buying it. Tokais are great guitars, but they're not a Gibson. You'll have a hard time finding anyone who regrets buying the real deal. There are lots of guys (and gals) on the other hand, who love their LP copies but can't believe the difference once they get a Gibson.

Any idea why are these LP's so light? I compared it with an Epiphone (which you picture as also chambered) and the LP 's were half the weight.

The shop selling them is a well know retailer so I have no doubt they are the genuine article.

As Guitar Junkie stated this has been debated for years and there are, as in any topic two sides. One is the purist who likes a 10 lb axe around their neck, others tend to agree that a 7.5 lb weight is better. I have heard them say that the solid bodies sustain better but I have also heard that the sound chambers add to the tone. One thing I will say is that your love rock will be worth less in 10 years, and the Gibson will be worth at least what you paid for it. I have several Gibson's and I also own an Elitist Epi LP Custom. The custom is a wonderful guitar and I love it but I just ordered a brand new Gibson LP. And DON'T let personal opinions sway you unless you really know the person and value their insight. A lot of these guys are just talking out their sound holes!

The Epiphones are not chambered, just the Epi LP Ultra. So, unless you're comparing it to an Ultra, that's why they're heavier. I've had my Epi LP Standard for 10 years and love it but I always wanted a Gibson. I was able to get a new BFG not too long ago. The body is chambered and it is a lot lighter but wow does it sound better. Like everyone else here has said, go by your ear and feel. Don't just compare weights, compare how it feels to play and the sound differences between guitars unplugged (great indicator), plugged in with or without distortion, turned up and turned down. There are some things that a new set of pups just can't do. There's a reason a Gibson is a Gibson. Good luck and never stop the rock!

The best thing to do is play as many as you can and find one that makes you happy.

If it's confortable to you the weight, color or whatever else won't bother you.

In the end you have to be happy. You'll know when it sound and feels right.

Don't just buy what some one else says is a good guitar. Consider their perspective

then you judge for yourself.

Good luck.

Smurf, I own both a Gibson 10 LB Custom and a 7.5 LB Chambered Standard. They do not sound the same to me. But that is why I have two. My Custom has 57 Classics and has a range of tone that is superb. The Standard has BurstBucker Pros and with the Chambered body I hear the brighter side of the guitar. Sometimes when I play it through my Fender DeVille, I think it almost sounds like a Tele. Then I realize I need to add some gain to those old tubes.

These guitars are made very well and are still the Rolls Royce of guitars. My advice, as it is with the others, go play some guitars. Find the guitar that makes you happy. If you buy if for everyone else it won't make you happy. And if a guitar doesn't make you happy, there is no mojo and without that you have no tone and life is too short to go through it without good tone.

If it's confortable to you the weight' date=' color or whatever else won't bother you.

In the end you have to be happy. You'll know when it sound and feels right.

[/quote']

I would never be happy unless it was the colour and style I wanted.

Wouldn't feel comfortable playing a bright pink guitar if it was the most nicest to play....would you?

I would never be happy unless it was the colour and style I wanted.

Wouldn't feel comfortable playing a bright pink guitar if it was the most nicest to play....would you?

Being a guy...nope, yer right, I wouldn't.

Well guys, I am now the proud owner of a brand new Gibson LP Standard in ebony....woohoo!

Don't feel any heavier than my Fender Strat and is a dream to play.

Alas, I can't use it for gigging yet as I have to adjust all my GT6 settings for songs that require the fx I use. BUT, I will get my backside into gear pretty quick so I can have it on stage with me.

Will post some pics soon.

Yes' date=' LP std in ebony........what's strange about that?

How do I upload pics?[/quote']

You have to get a web hosting picture account (I have photobucket but I believe there are a few other options). Once you get one of those accounts you upload the picture on there and copy and paste the IMG code of the picture you wanna post on one of these reply windows. Once you do that you will see a link code thing with IMG on each end. Simply post the IMG Code(s) of the picture(s) you wanna post and the pictures will be posted. Your pictures will not show up until you post the IMG Codes in one of these reply windows.....

Archived