Gibson Brands Forums

Studio/home Amps

Brent.mmiller3

Hey all! New to the forum here. Interested in feedback regards to smaller home/studio amps. I live in a downtown apartment and most of my playing is there and smaller bar gigs. I'm in the market for new tube amp. Looked at Vox AC15C1 and liked it. Anyone have experience with these or recommend any others? My style is blues and rock primarily. Run TS9 Screamer and Carbon Copy Delay. Now running Fender Frontman 65r and just can't stand the sound of the amp. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a Laney Cub 12R

All tube

has a 15w and a less than 1w input. Built in verb that is actually pretty good. fx loop

I'm very happy with it. The low power input keeps things quiet yet still sounds good.

It takes pedals well and can get loud enough for a small rehearsal hall.

101_0136_zps77e6bd96.jpg

NHTom

This amp seems pretty cool

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/109631-fender-pawn-shop-vaporizer-amp-demo/

not a lot of money either. ($399)

have you looked at anything like the Fender Mustangs? while it's not tube, (SS modeling) they are quite convincing tone wise. I have two of them (100 watt 1x12 and a 150 watt 2x12) They're very versatile, sound really good, and are easy to use.

they're not replacing my tube amps, but I really like what I can do with them. Not what you asked for, (Tube amp) but - hey, what the heck,, thought I'd mention it.

I don't drag these out. I use them in a 20' x 20' space at home ...

After a lengthy search for tube amps that sound really great without causing permanent hearing loss, I picked up two. A Bugera V22 that has great tone for clean and mildly dirty play, and a Blackstar HT5R. The Blackstar sounds good clean, but not as sparkly as the V22, BUT ... moderate and higher gain is where this thing kicks azz!

Great tone at moderate volume levels was a major factor for these being selected. However, if you want to damage your hearing they are both quite capable of doing the job.

I think this is an accurate demo of the HT5:

• 8 months later...

I recently bought a used Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. I am really impressed with the range on tones and modelling capabilities i can get from this amp, even at lower volumes. Although this model is discontinued, I would recommend the Valvetroix series.

• 2 weeks later...

A Fender Blues Jr. is a good low-cost option. I have an early Blues Jr. I swapped out the 12AX7 tubes for 5751's to add a bit more clean headroom. With a compression pedal and distortion pedal I can get a sound on my SG Classic similar to early Santana or Peter Green, and, can still get a Pete Townshend or Jerry Garcia cleaner tone. With my Lucille I can get anywhere between Albert and B.B. King.

The amp is small and light, so it is easy to move when playing out. You should be able to pick one up for below $400.00.

More and more I'm using a BOSS GT-001 thru a pair of 8" monitors. I've had it for a few months now and I've figured out how to tweak it (not that hard really) to get just about any sound out of I want.

It's the desktop version of the GT-100. Waaaay better than the RP1000 I traded in on it.

• 3 months later...

I have an idea for consideration. Have you ever seen a pair of 1970's Univox Amplified Headphones? They were produced sometime in the mid to late 1970'S (model # UHP-1). I have a set of these and must say that I do not know what makes them sound the way that they do but the more you crank the guitars volume, the more they drive the sound just like a real amplifier so you can play as loud as you like without pissing anyone off. They do wonders because you can get real adventuress without worrying and this tends to bring out some awesomeness in your playing.

• 1 month later...

I have owned a lot of different amps including the ones you mentioned and IMO of the amps you listed, the Vox AC15C1 is your best choice for the type of music you are playing. It has great reverb and tremelo and takes pedals well. My favorite amps are the Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and the Fender Twin Reverb. The only two amps that I will never get rid of. The Twin is over kill for apartment living and is way too heavy to cart around. The DRRI is a great amp for the money and it sounds fantastic and takes pedals well. Take your time, try out different amps and buy the one that sounds best to you.

Kenny V

I recently bought a used Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. I am really impressed with the range on tones and modelling capabilities i can get from this amp, even at lower volumes.

I've got that amp - picked up used for 100 bucks. I don't have a lot of amp experience, but I really like this amp. It's got 11 different amp models and 11 different effects. I like flanger. :) You can go from 1 watt to 30 watts or anything in between by the turn of a dial.

Quick update ... I haven't used the HT5 since getting a Laney IRT Studio. What a great amp!

The HT5RH will end up sold or traded at some point. It's great for what it does, but the IRT Studio covers that ground and then some.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of lower power tube amps that are very easy to get good tones at lower volume. The Dr Z (18 watts) has an attenuator and the Classic 30 has a vol pot in the effects loop. Both get great tones without being too loud. Both are pretty easy to carry as well. At my age less is more.

Cheers,

Mike

• 10 months later...

Hey all! New to the forum here. Interested in feedback regards to smaller home/studio amps. I live in a downtown apartment and most of my playing is there and smaller bar gigs. I'm in the market for new tube amp. Looked at Vox AC15C1 and liked it. Anyone have experience with these or recommend any others? My style is blues and rock primarily. Run TS9 Screamer and Carbon Copy Delay. Now running Fender Frontman 65r and just can't stand the sound of the amp. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't have a Vox AC15C1 but have read great reviews on them - and I like my little AC4C1. 15 watts is loud and should be plenty for small bar gigs and with the Master Volume, you should be able to get home use volume levels. Personally, I think it's a good choice. I tried the Fender Hot Rod Blues Junior and I didn't like it at all. I assume the AC15C1 is in the price range you are looking for - others in that range you might want to look at are the Marshall DSL15C and the Egnater Tweaker 112 15W.

Cheers!

Pete

Edit: Just realized this thread is 2 years old... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out the reviews on a Palomino V16 (Crate). I've recently seen one on EBay for a good price.

rxznkgzu8ka8t8pezz6i.jpg

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/crate/palomino_v16/index.html

(LOL, just noticed the original post was from 2014, sigh. Well, mebbe someone else can use this info.)

that is cool!

I used to have, one of the original Vintage Club 30s.

Aside from some issues with bad solder joints and minor things that surfaced from time to time, those older Class A combos from Crate sounded KILLER!

I regret selling mine.... but I can still get my hands on one as my son and his band mate both have them.

• 2 years later...

Archived