Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2014 Les Paul Futura

RevDavidLee

The one in this color really got to me. If this question has already been asked I apologize. In the literature I received in the mail it refers to the finish on this model (available in other colors as well) as "the latest Gibson fade paint scheme".. Is this their way of stating instead of a burst look it's a fade look? Sort of made it sound like the paint will fade. I dunno. [confused]

But I love the look of this one. And the P90H Sidewinder combined with the Burstbucker 3 humbucker setup, push/pull coil tap and 15dB boost sounds like something I want to play through. [drool]

It's hard to tell but back to the finish - is that a satin like finish? Does anyone know? Don't think I would care for that if it is... (I'm ignoring the fact it comes with a mini e-tune) [tongue]

140000215-body-l.jpg

Hello!

First I thought, by "faded" they are referring to thin nitro finish (as on Studio Tributes), then - after checking the specs for the Futura, and those in the range that have high-gloss finish for sure -, I learned that it has 1-1.5 mm thick finish, just like the Classic and the rest of the high-gloss ones.

...and also found out, - looking at the factory pictures - that the Futura has burst-like finish: lighter color in the centre of the body, with darker rims.

Cheers... Bence

They are calling it Fade Vintage Gloss on the product webpage:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Futura.aspx

They even call it " striking fade vintage gloss" according to that page. Jeez I had hoped not to read that. I was looking for a way not to like it. Thanks Cap. I think... sighhhhh [unsure][crying][blink][drool]

Hello!

First I thought, by "faded" they are referring to thin nitro finish (as on Studio Tributes), then - after checking the specs for the Futura, and those in the range that have high-gloss finish for sure -, I learned that it has 1-1.5 mm thick finish, just like the Classic and the rest of the high-gloss ones.

...and also found out, - looking at the factory pictures - that the Futura has burst-like finish: lighter color in the centre of the body, with darker rims.

Cheers... Bence

I have absolutely no justification for buying this guitar. But now I really want one. Somebody drive over to my house and slap me. Dang.. why did I ask about this one.... [crying]

They even call it " striking fade vintage gloss" according to that page. Jeez I had hoped not to read that. I was looking for a way not to like it. Thanks Cap. I think... sighhhhh [unsure][crying][blink][drool]

Didn't know that "striking" is part of the colour's name - thought that was a promotional term. [confused]

You seem to have warned a new member recently not to look at pictures since you did it at least one time too many. [scared]

OK, I also share this experience, but in case it may help you out a bit, I don't think I ever would like one of these, no matter how often I look or read the specs. On the other hand, I better don't talk about those I would want here, and I also will stay away from posting any links or pics. [flapper]

[biggrin]

I have absolutely no justification for buying this guitar. But now I really want one. Somebody drive over to my house and slap me. Dang.. why did I ask about this one.... [crying]

Gotta love it - the finish is very cool, especially in that Inverness Green, and what a great pup setup - - - - I vote 'get it'!

LPFAPI5RC1-Glam-Shot.jpg

Ok, just got back from trying a future in the blue color.....

Very nice looking/brighter than the pictures color.

The Vintage Gloss to my eyes is not at all a gloss........more like a high shine satin.....somewhere between satin and gloss.

I played a melody maker which is satin and didn't like the feel of the finish of the neck.....other than that loved it. The Futura was smoother, but still not as smooth as gloss. I think I could get over that, but the one I checked out all ready had a couple chips on the finish.....

Not sure if it was because of the chips all ready in it, or just the general feel, but it didn't leave me with a lot of confidence in the finish holding up against bumps and bruises.

Overall a nice guitar. Loved the brightness of the color, loved the fade/burst to it, played very well.

NHTom

Ok, just got back from trying a future in the blue color.....

Very nice looking/brighter than the pictures color.

The Vintage Gloss to my eyes is not at all a gloss........more like a high shine satin.....somewhere between satin and gloss.

I played a melody maker which is satin and didn't like the feel of the finish of the neck.....other than that loved it. The Futura was smoother, but still not as smooth as gloss. I think I could get over that, but the one I checked out all ready had a couple chips on the finish.....

Not sure if it was because of the chips all ready in it, or just the general feel, but it didn't leave me with a lot of confidence in the finish holding up against bumps and bruises.

Overall a nice guitar. Loved the brightness of the color, loved the fade/burst to it, played very well.

NHTom

Thank you Thank you Thank you. That's all I needed to read. I have officially gone "soft". Whew that was close.. [rolleyes][smile]

Thank you Thank you Thank you. That's all I needed to read. I have officially gone "soft". Whew that was close.. [rolleyes][smile]

Again.....played well, great color, love the p90/hum configuration.....for me, the "feel" of the finish was the deciding factor........

Not trying to turn anyone off as I believe if you like the feel of the finish, it's an awesome guitar. I just know it's not for me. Of course hanging right near it was a nice used junior.....so now I'm equally screwed...lol.

NHTom

Archived