Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special with F holes and AAA Maple Cap

Crestwoody

Hiya fellow Gibsonites!

While perusing the local Guitar Center, I came across a Les Paul I haven't seen before. It's called a Les Paul Special with F holes and AAA Maple Cap. The Gibson site has nothing on it, I can't find mention of it from NAMM 2014 either. I really like it, but want to know more about it. All I can say is that it seems to have a 60's neck. Only has 1 F hole and is very light. Plays very nicely and sounds great. I might even trade in my Trad Prod I for it, but not sure yet.

Thanks

Sounds like a Les Paul Florentine.

There have been a few different versions over the years : two f-holes; one f-hole; no f-hole; sharp cutaway horn plus Bigsby etc...etc...

Something like this?;

LesPaulFlorentineLo-res_zpsee7fdf22.jpg

If not......Pics?

P.

Its in the GC flyer this month. Les Paul Special AAA Flame Top semi-hollow.

#LPSPGCMCH1 Which looks like a GC limited edition dot inlays no anniversary inlay. But its cool in that it made me think of the Les Paul Florentine immediately. I have to go play one. [biggrin]

Featuring a AAA flame caramel burst flame top on a weight relieved mahogany body, Zebra 57 Classic and Super 57 bridge includes ohsc $1199.99

I can't find the guitar on line for photos.

Peace

i don't know about GC, but here is the LP Florentine listing - $4815 is the price for the natural one.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/18134/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Limited-Run-Les-Paul-Custom-Florentine-Electric-Guitar-Natural/

That's at a couple of places.

Interesting limited run - two F holes, Richlite fretboard, TonePros Nashville TOM, and still 8 lbs 2 oz despite of being hollow... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking they exchanged the trapzoid inlay cost for the semi/f-hole cost. With a AAA top (premium plus) and with the 57/57+ it's tempting. You could probably talk 'em down some (always works for with with GC).

Didn't think of that. Makes sense. Still a nice looking guitar.

I'm thinking they exchanged the trapzoid inlay cost for the semi/f-hole cost. With a AAA top (premium plus) and with the 57/57+ it's tempting. You could probably talk 'em down some (always works for with with GC).

Good point, to me the trade off is a no brainer.

I bought the first one my local GC received. I was lucky enough to get there before they got a chance to unbox and set it out for display. Funny 3 of the workers didn't even know they had it. Ive had her 5 days... sounds and feels great. the 57's are very articulate. I did change the strings and top wrapped the tail piece so I could screw it down tight for sustain.

DSC00337_zps555de25d.jpg

I think the board is Grenadillo if its rosewood its a very very light piece. The neck feels good def. a 60's carve much thinner than my SG classic.

Did you remove the control plate, is the guitar literally semi hollow or is it a chambered top F-Hole only? Looks like the 90's Hamer Artist design

I did remove the plate to see if it had the circuit board or point to point. It does have the circuit board with Orange drop caps and push pulls for coil taps. I believe it has the chambered top section under the f hole and is not truly semi hollow. I also put my mechanics inspection camera into the f hole and it is a chamber. I'm very happy with it for the price.. to be perfect for me I would have liked a bound neck that's about it.

I did remove the plate to see if it had the circuit board or point to point. It does have the circuit board with Orange drop caps and push pulls for coil taps. I believe it has the chambered top section under the f hole and is not truly semi hollow. I also put my mechanics inspection camera into the f hole and it is a chamber. I'm very happy with it for the price.. to be perfect for me I would have liked a bound neck that's about it.

Gibson must be saving a lot of money with the PCB as any model that has it is usually very reasonably priced.

I picked one up too! This thread helped me identify what it was that I had stumbled upon at my local Guitar Center, so thank you.

Like you, I'm debating throwing a pickguard on it but I'm weary of drilling holes into it (and voiding the warranty?). Also funny, I was considering doing the same thing with the locking grovers, but so far it seems to hold tune pretty well so I may hold off. Did you notice an improvement when you installed those, or were you more just looking to make string changes easier?

I like your top flame better. As far as the tuners... no difference in tuning stability, I'm just used to having locking tuners on all of my electric guitars. I ordered a Gibson pickguard it should be here today.. I'll post of photo of it mocked up tonight. I'm not really worried about a warranty.

I bet if they were held side by side they'd look very similar. Mine is more caramel looking unless it's blasted by daylight like in my photo.

Definitely curious to see yours with the pickguard. I may change pickups to 490R / 498T to match my Les Paul Custom. I tend to play heavy distortion, and so far I'm not crazy about the 57s when they're pushed hard.

Archived