Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special with F holes and AAA Maple Cap

Crestwoody

Since these are flat tops not carved I ordered a custom pickguard from Terrapin guitars. Same size and tan color.. just no holes. I'm going to use double sided tape like an acoustic guitar to install. With that install there will be no holes to give warranty issues and it should look great. Cost me $17.50 plus shipping. Ive used them before and always had great results.

Cool, will definitely be interested to see how that looks. Checked out Terrapin Guitars- which pickguard did you select then? The "Les Paul Standard Style"? Was your concern with the Gibson pickgaurd (other than the holes) that it would sit too high because it is flat?

I picked one up too! This thread helped me identify what it was that I had stumbled upon at my local Guitar Center, so thank you.

Like you, I'm debating throwing a pickguard on it but I'm weary of drilling holes into it (and voiding the warranty?). Also funny, I was considering doing the same thing with the locking grovers, but so far it seems to hold tune pretty well so I may hold off. Did you notice an improvement when you installed those, or were you more just looking to make string changes easier?

No drill pickguards:

http://www.bobbyleesignatureseries.com/

NewPickguard002.jpg

I ordered 2 different pickguards. black\crème\black & crème\black\crème. In the end my wife and I both liked the contrast of the Black\crème\black. Its on with some double sided tape that if needed will come off clean.

DSC00345_zps96783d55.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up too! This thread helped me identify what it was that I had stumbled upon at my local Guitar Center, so thank you.

Like you, I'm debating throwing a pickguard on it but I'm weary of drilling holes into it (and voiding the warranty?). Also funny, I was considering doing the same thing with the locking grovers, but so far it seems to hold tune pretty well so I may hold off. Did you notice an improvement when you installed those, or were you more just looking to make string changes easier?

They look like really nice guitars. You can install or remove a pickgard without necessarily voiding the warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, i have been salivating over this since i saw the flyer and you people aren't making it any easier to refrain. There are 2 issues however that might keep me from spending a whole lotta $ i really shouldn't spend. 1-I really like rosewood boards due to the sound (yeah, i know but I DO hear it) and hesitate if it's anything else. 2- i really wish it had a bound board. But even without those i'm still burning to go check them out. I can look at 100's and 100's of guitars before one just grabs me like this.

• 2 months later...

I Just received this guitar in today. I've been trying to find as much as I can about it for the past few weeks, but little is out there. However, I do like the pickguard you added to it, but I was wondering about how easy it is to remove and if it leaves any marks. Also, I added the unboxing to YouTube today... Check it out.

Congrats - great guitar! I bought one about a month ago, added the nickel covers and a standard Gibson LP pickguard (elevated, bracket mount) - looks great, plays great, sounds great. I also purchased the same stick on pickguard as the OP, but decided to use the more traditional one. If you are interested, shoot me an email and I can save some wait time (d2@frontiernet.net)

• 5 months later...

I'm late to the party. I saw one a couple weeks ago at the Manchester CT GC and went back with my wife today and they had sold it. The manager found one in another store and they are getting it for me. I hope to have it in hand next week. It looks like a real winner (got a really decent price for it, too!). It sounds like I may have gotten one of the last ones.

Really nice looking guitar and a reasonable price. I have never heard any of the semi-hollow or f-hole LPs and wonder what sort of difference in tone from a regular solid body LP? Can anyone post a sound clip or link to a clip of what they sound like. Since I moved I am a long way from a GC, and sounds like they may have sold them all anyway by now.

• 5 months later...

Archived