Gibson Brands Forums

Do I Have a Dud?

Incaman

Can someone please tell me if I have a fault, or if I'm not using the Esonic2 unit correctly? I recently bought an Epiphone EJ200CE with the Esonic2 pickup system but when I plug it into an amp via the main socket, the mono combined pickup output one, and use the blend control I can only get sound from the Nanoflex side. There is only a very low barely audible output when the slider is put over to the nanomag position. Is this normal or should I get equal volume from both sides and be able to blend in the centre position. I would have thought that this is what should happen, am mistaken or do I have a dud? [confused]

Not normal. You should be able to balance and manipulate both sides independently and together to any degree. The problem could be in the electronics itself..or at the physical pick up points. Make sure your batteries are ok as well. The fact that the nanomag side is weak could indicate a defective nanomag...or loose wire or connection. If you can't get it running, your warranty should fully cover this.

I'd agree.

I have an Epi with the same system and it works like a champ. But... there have been various complaints that I think tend to follow from wiring problems on the mag and/or other difficulties as noted above. The concept and operation of the system is marvelous - but I think getting bounced around a lot in transportation may expose any potential weakness in the wiring and whatever...

If you got it "locally," I'd say take it in for a check/repair. If online... I'd check the inside wiring, etc., with a mirror of some sort and a new battery set. If that doesn't work... double check your cord to ensure it's making good contact. If that doesn't work, call the purveyor.

m

I'd agree.

I have an Epi with the same system and it works like a champ. But... there have been various complaints that I think tend to follow from wiring problems on the mag and/or other difficulties as noted above. The concept and operation of the system is marvelous - but I think getting bounced around a lot in transportation may expose any potential weakness in the wiring and whatever...

If you got it "locally," I'd say take it in for a check/repair. If online... I'd check the inside wiring, etc., with a mirror of some sort and a new battery set. If that doesn't work... double check your cord to ensure it's making good contact. If that doesn't work, call the purveyor.

m

I suspected as much! Fortunately I did buy it locally from a decent dealer so it'll be a visit back to him next week I guess! Thanks to everyone for your comments and help.

I suspected as much! Fortunately I did buy it locally from a decent dealer so it'll be a visit back to him next week I guess! Thanks to everyone for your comments and help.

For anyone else who encounters a similar problem to me - do as I have just done and stick your fingers in the soundhole and if you're lucky, as I was, you might just be able to touch the pickup connections to the preamp. I did this and POP! on came the Nanomag! So before you think the worst, check the simple things first - boy! am I glad I did. Saved me a trip back to the shop! I learned to look for simple things first after many years of messing with car faults, and should have known better myself with this guitar. Shame though that such good guitar can be plagued with problems all because of dodgy wiring which is surely not THAT hard to put right! [thumbup]

Congrats on having it fixed by yourself, mate! [thumbup]

Yes, car electrics may also suffer from transition resistances occasionally. After many years without any, such one occurred on mine a few weeks ago. The central locking unit of the left rear door suddenly failed to work. I checked for the electric window lift, and it also was out of order. So I looked into the fuse box and checked the related fuse. When pulling it out, I found some tarnish on the contacts while the fuse itself was fine. I put on a small amount of contact cleaner, moved it to and fro a bit while pushing it back into the clamps, and everything worked again. Of course, I had to recalibrate the window lift positions, but that's an easy task to be done just by operating it repeatedly according to the manual.

Please don't rant on me for having left the car battery connected while working on the fuse box... [rolleyes]

I think a lot of electrical problems - including those on AE guitars perhaps more than on full electrics - arise from far more shaking than what folks want to admit. Even a bit that we might not find memorable can be enough, as in incaman's note, to cause a problem.

Transportation can be a beast on guitars. Local stores, IMHO, are likely to let a guitar rest a bit before doing a setup caused frequently by major changes in climate from manufacture to warehouse, then warehouse to store. I've heard more complaints about "mail order" guitars that go directly from warehouse to end user simply because a setup and checks of electronicsis frequently needed and it doesn't happen in a warehouse.

m

• 3 months later...

I have this same issue with my EJ200CE that I purchased 4days ago. I dropped it off at an authorized Epi repair shop today. The luthier got the nano mag to work for a split second by wiggling the controls. He thinks the amp is bad and is contacting Epi for a replacement amp as the electronics are under a 5 year unlimited warrantee. I'll let you know how it turns out after I get the guitar back.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I think the output for the nanomag is a little louder on the dedicated output jack, but it's still pretty weak. I have it back at the dealer, and it's being looked into now. If the tech can identify the problem, I'll post the results.

Current theory is a loose or weak connection somewhere along the line.

But yeah, you don't even hear the nanomag unless the slider is all the way over on the nanomag side, and the nanoflex is completely cut out.

I have the same problem. I think the output for the nanomag is a little louder on the dedicated output jack, but it's still pretty weak. I have it back at the dealer, and it's being looked into now. If the tech can identify the problem, I'll post the results.

But yeah, you don't even hear the nanomag unless the slider is all the way over on the nanomag side, and the nanoflex is completely cut out.

Same exact thing on mine. It sounds good as it is but the sweet spot is somewhere in between the two. I have a new preamp on order. Hope that does the trick. I hope you get yours fixed quickly as well.

Same exact thing on mine. It sounds good as it is but the sweet spot is somewhere in between the two. I have a new preamp on order. Hope that does the trick. I hope you get yours fixed quickly as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to try out a Masterbilt and another ej200ce yesterday, and found that, running through the "blended" jack, they both exhibited the same low output from the nanomag pickup that I experienced with my ej200. It appears that this is something of a design or production flaw, in which the output of the two pickups is not balanced.

Using both jacks, I could work out a nice blended tone (going stereo), but the blended output jack is not very useful for mixing the two pickups. Otherwise, great sounding electronics.

Archived