Gibson Brands Forums

From P90s to humbuckers - wiring

drzing

So, friends, I had my SG rerouted for humbuckers, and I installed them (one seymour duncan, and a dimarzio),

just as the P90's were installed, individually, all pickups have worked well, except that when soldered together

now the neck tone regulates neck volume, but volume kicks in when turned up. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

The bridge pup works perfectly, maybe I should try to revert their polarities? Maybe they're having a phase 'clash'?

Something also tells me to try the dimarzio without the ground wire;

What do you guys think???

I will add the pic, its supposed to be 500kohm pots;

Bridge Seymour - Series - White and red wires together, Black - Hot, Green/Bare - GND

Neck Dimarzio - Parallel - Red/White - Hot / Black/Green/Bare - GND

If you know SG electrics then you know that things happen there on a slight different way than a

Les Paul, and thats what bugs me, because of its unconventional ways.

First off, all GNDs happen to be at the same site, on the top pot, where my tendency would be to use

each pot for each pickup;

Well, what you think of the pic? Remember that the dimarzio is as in parallel, but it sounds exactly as if it was a two conductor, so that's fine for me. All burns are my fault, with honor.

Thank you guys!

EDIT: been struggling with the 500k upload limit, the translation above is very handy when you see the pic.

the strings are my very own non-patented way of retrieving pups wires);

I will add the pic, its supposed to be 500kohm pots;

Bridge Seymour - Series - White and red wires together, Black - Hot, Green/Bare - GND

Neck Dimarzio - Parallel - Red/White - Hot / Black/Green/Bare - GND

If you know SG electrics then you know that things happen there on a slight different way than a

Les Paul, and thats what bugs me, because of its unconventional ways.

First off, all GNDs happen to be at the same site, on the top pot, where my tendency would be to use

each pot for each pickup;

Well, what you think of the pic? Remember that the dimarzio is as in parallel, but it sounds exactly as if it was a two conductor, so that's fine for me. All burns are my fault, with honor.

Thank you guys!

EDIT: been struggling with the 500k upload limit, the translation above is very handy when you see the pic.

the strings are my very own non-patented way of retrieving pups wires);

The grounds must be used and I would ground each pup to its respective pot and see if that makes a difference, that's the way they do it with two conductor pups. Also, not sure why you say that LP's and SG's are wired differently.

I just say that because it is, the switch is different, and the whole diagram and flux is different than

my (and every other) LP that I have ever seen. Of course, the principle is the same, but not physically equal.

Your advice is sound.

You know why? Because if I would lower the neck pot down to zero, it would mute the whole guitar.

I will try that and will come back, I'm well sure it can't do no harm...

Thanks!

If anyone has anything to add, pls!

PS: BTW, I only did it so because the P90s came wired like that!

Yes, I tried to solder it now as the usual way, it works well, except for the fact that

now I cannot zero my neck pup volume. Might be some short circuit? SGs are tight.

That was also not my best DP100, but it sounds really good.

What I mean is that on a LP you have the output usually going from the switch straight to

the output, not passing by either neck/bridge's electrics as to reach the jack.

I will try to reverse phases, and unsolder out the dimarzio bare wire, this pickup behaves

strangely, but sounds great.

Any other ideas?

I will PM, FZ, but this is SO strange. I mean, this guitar always had this 'bug', even with the

P90's, it would 'blank out' the whole guitar when neck pot+tone are zero, probably because the

wiring relies on those knobs as for grounding/path to jack.

I took off this four conductor DP100 and put another one (2 conds), which I'm _sure_ is good, looks

like my guitar came with a bad pot, OR there's something wrong from factory in the wiring, or a short circuit

somewhere.

When I took the bare wire off, I noticed some evolution, but when I turn down the pot, it seems to 'pass the zero

and go back to 10, and even on zero it still has some output (a factory short circuit seems logical), what goes on

with a pot that goes like that, is it possible to fix? BUT it has never happened to my neck P90. =/

Thanks a lot for the attention guys!

So, did you guys notice that the enamel wire that goes to the output has a big black insulation and has missed the neck pot? (I might have said bs when i said 'enamel wire', I meant that classic single conductor gibson wire with a 'faraday grid'/GND outside, pls correct me as needed, english is not my first language, sorry).

Might that be a factory mistake? The bridge is grounded at the neck pot coil, is it normal for SGs?

Archived