Gibson Brands Forums

'66 Gibson L5 CES florentine

AlanC

Just bought a '66 Gibson L5 Florentine from a collector who unfortunately has a major health problem. It's pretty mint and has been in a case for a long time. The guy owns more than 1000 guitars

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see a pic :)

I will provide some pics but the guitar developed a bad buzz on day 2 of ownership and I have sent it to the tech. Pick it up tomorrow. I do have one pic which was sent as part of the purchase process. The guitar was previously owned by a collector and not a player. So the guitar had remained for years in the case.

IMG_2472_zpse9f95116.jpg

From one 1966 blond L5 owner to another, congratulations. Sweet looking guitar- hopefully she will sound as good as she looks, especially after you rescue her from the case and get her making music again. Looking forward to seeing more photos!

From one 1966 blond L5 owner to another, congratulations. Sweet looking guitar- hopefully she will sound as good as she looks, especially after you rescue her from the case and get her making music again. Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Wow. Im just so pleased with the sound of mine. Great tone and in very good condition but it needs a refret. Glad to meet another owner. Is yours 1 9/16ths or 1 11/16ths?

Alan would you say that most of the gold plating is pretty much gone from the pickups as from the jpeg it kind of looks that way? Regardless an incredible early 60's L5 that is almost never seen here in the US for sale and appears to be in mint condition.........jim in Maine

Alan would you say that most of the gold plating is pretty much gone from the pickups as from the jpeg it kind of looks that way? Regardless an incredible early 60's L5 that is almost never seen here in the US for sale and appears to be in mint condition.........jim in Maine

Yeah Jimmy the gold has faded but I expect that. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniv which I bought brand new. I've looked after it really well but played it a lot and the gold has faded on the pick ups probably more than on this.

Mine is 1 11/16's, and was a custom order (with Charlie Christian pickup, as you can see in my avatar).

Mine I'm pretty sure is 1 9/16's which I've had to adjust to. Tbh I would've preferred 1 11/16ths but when I bought it I didn't realise the neck was narrower. Having said that I would prefer the more standard neck size but as long as I play it a bit I can handle it without any drama. The neck and sound is truly great albeit that I'm refretting it as we speak.

Btw I luv yours. Looks really great. Congrats on owning a real beauty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No matter how much care it seems one may take with gold plating especially on Gibsons I have finally accepted the fact that it will go bye bye over time assuming that one actually plays the guitar..........jim in Maine

I have guitars that I've played extensively for 20 or 30 years that still have almost all their gold, still nice and shiny. After playing I wipe down all the metal parts with a piece of natural chamois, which seems to work much better than fabric at removing the harmful stuff from the gold. Costco sells a piece large enough to make many one-square-foot cloths for not a lot of dollars, and a square of it lasts me many years. I have one in my gig bag and one in my practice area and one in my guitar room. Adds about 30-seconds to my gig packing up time and is well worth doing.

Try it--can't hurt and might help.

Danny W.

I have guitars that I've played extensively for 20 or 30 years that still have almost all their gold, still nice and shiny. After playing I wipe down all the metal parts with a piece of natural chamois, which seems to work much better than fabric at removing the harmful stuff from the gold. Costco sells a piece large enough to make many one-square-foot cloths for not a lot of dollars, and a square of it lasts me many years. I have one in my gig bag and one in my practice area and one in my guitar room. Adds about 30-seconds to my gig packing up time and is well worth doing.

Try it--can't hurt and might help.

Danny W.

Yeah thanks Danny. Happy to try

When I picked up the L5 there were a few issues requiring my tech to fix it. Sticky tuner, bad buzz, badly needed a refret cos the fret board was uneven and because the original owner had put unusual frets in. Great big thick ones which I didn't like. So I've now got it back and its really good. Great tone and great neck

_DSC0502_zps01bb3534.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1395756836[/url]' post='1502024']

When I picked up the L5 there were a few issues requiring my tech to fix it. Sticky tuner, bad buzz, badly needed a refret cos the fret board was uneven and because the original owner had put unusual frets in. Great big thick ones which I didn't like. So I've now got it back and its really good. Great tone and great neck

That is beautiful!

Keith

Archived