Gibson Brands Forums

Which Amp suits an SG best?

stingraynz

Hi all!

I have a 2013 Sg natural burst and Im loving it! It is time to get a new amp!

Any recommendations for which amps suit the SG the best?

Solid state combos please! practice amp for the man cave.

Im not about to drop a whole lot of coin but im happy for tube recommendations!

Thanks folks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!

I have a 2013 Sg natural burst and Im loving it! It is time to get a new amp!

Any recommendations for which amps suit the SG the best?

Solid state combos please! practice amp for the man cave.

Im not about to drop a whole lot of coin but im happy for tube recommendations!

Thanks folks!

Well, that really depends upon the sound you're looking for, and only you know what that is. It sounds to me like a modelling amp might be your best bet, then you will have all the possibility's in one box.

For practice, my choice would be the little Yamaha THR10,(there are various models to choose from now) as they do a very convincing job of replicating a driven tube amp at a reasonable volume. I love mine.

Regards,

Ian.

I'm extremely satisfied with my Vox VT40+ (currently $250 new). Even more so since I replaced its speaker with a Celestion G10 Vintage ($100). The stock speaker is a little weak and trebley, and the modification takes 30 minutes and a screwdriver. I don't use the effects too much... they aren't bad, but they're limited.

I'd buy it all over again if I needed another practice rig.

Good suggestions... [thumbup]

My SG(copy) goes through a Roland Cube, friend's Marshall 50w hybrid dfx combo

Or Laney VC30 2x12 valve combo...somewhat similar to a Vox AC30

Cubes come in all sizes from bedroom to 30-80w giggable... [thumbup]

Fender amps various also sound excellent with said guitar... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Lots of good amps to choose from! Tube, and solid state.

But, for "Solid State"....Fender Mustang, or Vox Valvetronix, would be a good

start...IMHO. Or, if you're not going to be playing "out" (Gigs, etc.)

you might keep your current amp, and get a Vox Tonelab, or Fender Mustang

pedal board, instead, with all the same amp models, and effects.

Just a thought...

CB

Lots of good amps to choose from! Tube, and solid state.

But, for "Solid State"....Fender Mustang, or Vox Valvetronix, would be a good

start...IMHO. Or, if you're not going to be playing "out" (Gigs, etc.)

you might keep your current amp, and get a Vox Tonelab, or Fender Mustang

pedal board, instead, with all the same amp models, and effects.

Just a thought...

CB

[thumbup] Can confirm that. Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix are worth checking them, as well as Vox Tonelab and Fender Mustang pedal board.

Mustang III.. (or if you want to piss off your neighbors get a mustang IV..)

I have three great tube amps (marshall, fender and a gibson goldtone,, they are the bomb..),, but I also have two mustang combos.. I love em to death..

For practice I have a little Mustang I. It's a great little modeling combo for around $125 new. But I bought a 30 watt Carvin Belair 2x12 tube amp used for $225. It gets pristine cleans, a nice overdriven tone, lush reverb, and an effects loop. It's a gig-worthy little combo. Watch Craigslist and you might score.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm out of touch with amps these days so have been doing a bit of research. I have been feverishly checking out 2nd hand listings.

At this stage im not looking for a particular sound, probably more just versatility.

Would love to get a tube amp but are out of reach financially for a few more years so just something to keep me going.

At this point. Im considering the Fender Mustang III or the Vox valvetronix.

The Fender comes with the Fuse software which I would use..

• 3 weeks later...

I had solid state amps at first and they did the job. Do yourself justice and go tube. MUCH better. I live in apartments and the only time I get to turn up past 3 is during band practice, till I discovered the MXR Super Badass distortion pedal. WOW. I can get the distortion I want and lower volumes. I hope you find the amp your looking for. Don't settle on just anything. Get the one you really want and not regret a single thing. Good luck

I got a Fender Mustang I amp off craigslist for $60. I downloaded some custom presets that sound very good. I have a tweed blues junior NOS, and the mustang does an impressive job at emulating a blackface tone, and has some decent high gain models and effects. Its what I use when I cant be loud, extremely versatile, like the SG.

I'm using a Egnater Tweaker 40 ans 212 cab. as I play blues and classic rock it works good for me,I also have a Vox VT120 I like to use and for a solid state amp it is very good.To me I think an SG sounds good through anything................

Just picked up one of the new SGJs last week & the only amp I've run it through so far is My Marshall Mini-stack (solid state/separate head & 2 cabs/$200 clearance at GC). Incredibly nice tone.

Got rid of most of my "good" guitar amps about 4 years ago. Switched to bass & joined a Beatles cover band back in '10. Needed serious cash inflow to finance all the requisite gear for that.

But the little Mini-stack has treated me & the SGJ really well so far. Seen 'em at GC used as low as $175. Good luck on your quest...

Ive actually changed my mind now. I have moved away from a solid state and I think that I should really go for the tube. I dont need anything for gigging or band practice. Just after something with a nice clean sound and a decent OD.

Top of the list is: Fender Super Champ X2.

Thoughts on this one? Experiences?

Thanks this has been really helpful in my decision!

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv20wr/ This one get's hacked on cause metal guys can't get enough gain out of it, but, if it's blues and rock/classic rock, or sparkling cleans yer into, it's great. They can be had for cheap used. My SG sounds huge through mine. I use an OCD pedal for gain/boost...... it has some good features for home use/practice type amp, but, i can hang with my full band ( 2 electric guitars, keys, bass, and drums|) with this little beast. It sounds great imho. maybe sum people aren't really sure how to use an eq...???? #-o

I suggest this one cause it's afordable and suited for what you seem to be looking for, so, if your looking to sound great on the cheap, go for it. A blues jr is a great amp too, just not many features or options for home use.

Some good suggestions, as always. However, it really comes down to YOU

going to stores, and playing through a lot of different amps, writing down

what you love and don't love, about each one, then making an informed

decision, not based solely on forum recommendations. As you've (no doubt)

noticed, there are a lot of different suggestions, and/or preferecnces, here.

The only one that counts, though, is Your's! Besides, trying out amps, is

at least 1/2 the fun! And, can be quite an education, as well.

Good Luck, and Good Shopping!

CB

Archived