Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge parts and colour advice for a '56 ES-225TD

56TDC

I have a '225 that really needs a resto and it's mostly complete, apart from the knurled action height adjusters on the bridge and the scratch plate. Scratch plates are easy enough to track down but I don't even know where to start looking for the height adjusters. I think the bridge on early Les Pauls is the same but even then, I'm lost.

The other thing I'd like to find out is which colours Gibson did in the '50s. I know ES-225TDs came in Sunburst or Natural but I'm thinking of making the top a Goldtop or something else since it'll need a complete respray anyhow.

Any help appreciated.

I have a '225 that really needs a resto and it's mostly complete, apart from the knurled action height adjusters on the bridge and the scratch plate. Scratch plates are easy enough to track down but I don't even know where to start looking for the height adjusters. I think the bridge on early Les Pauls is the same but even then, I'm lost.

The other thing I'd like to find out is which colours Gibson did in the '50s. I know ES-225TDs came in Sunburst or Natural but I'm thinking of making the top a Goldtop or something else since it'll need a complete respray anyhow.

Any help appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. There are many fans of the ES-225TD around here. You may try contacting Victory Pete of this very sub-section.

He, admittedly, is not a Vintage fan and dis-likes 'goldtops', but it appears that he does good work .Maybe he could be of help with your re-fin project and give you some color advice?

Gibson also did a nice cherry-finish in this era on some models.

Have you considered installing a Bigsby tailpiece until you find the parts for the original T/P ?

I have always liked the all white 225's that George Thorogood plays [thumbup]

Rod

Thanks for recommending Victory Pete.

I'll see what he thinks of my ideas.

As for the Bigsby idea, it seems an extra expense and complication to me.

I'd have to buy the unit and then iron out all of the tuning issues so many people have with Bigsbys.

And I'd need a suitable bridge too.

If I bought a new guitar with a Bigsby, and I do think they're cool, I'd still fit it with Sperzel style locking tuners and there's no way I'm removing the original tuners on my '225 to solve that issue.

Don't get me wrong, I think they look and sound awesome but you see my point.

Besides, I only need the 2 knurled action adjusters, nothing more, so I don't think they'll be impossible to find.

Early Les Pauls had them too.

I'm sure someone can give me a heads up on which supplier might have reproduction parts or even ok originals.

Well, I thought you were intending to spend some money on a restoration(by your original post) finish, etc..... But if you are only looking to get your LP tail piece working, you will have to keep on googling and searching. And possibly some others will weigh in with some ideas.

Good Luck with the process! All things are possible!

Rod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived