Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation needs adjustment every string change

jc1funk

I've recently learn how to set up so I find myself checking intonation every time I change strings (same gauge, brand etc).

Problem is it seems to need adjustment each time.

Assuming I'm doing the job correctly each time, is this common or a problem?

Normally a simple string change doesn't alter intonation unless some part of your hardware is loose... Over time, a piece of wood like a guitar might change due to humidity and temperature, so intonation needs to be checked now and then. Do you keep your guitar in different environments?

How often do you change strings? As mentioned above, the likely cause is neck bow, which could be caused by the seasons. For example, the neck probably straightens a bit during the summer when the wood absorbs moisture. Was the last string change during the summer?

Do you keep your guitar in different environments?

Starting to think the weather is the issue...

This wild summer weather has been swinging between low 20s C and 40 + C, and I've been making adjustments during this period.

Conditions look pretty stable leading into this weekend's recording session so it hopefully wont be an issue...

It may take several days after restringing for achieving valid intonation adjustment. New strings will adapt to the magnetic fields with time. Fore to five days are sufficient for typical humbuckers with bar magnets but it may take ten days until the intonation is stable on guitars featuring single coils with rod-magnets.

Also refer to this post:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105624-multiple-guitars-vs-technique/page__view__findpost__p__1428176

Archived