Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Acoustic

ahunte1

Hi Everyone! Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this one...

I received this guitar as an incredibly nice gift from a friend's mother a few years ago. She said that it belonged to her father, but she didn't know when he owned it. He passed away in the 70s and this guitar was in a cardboard case in her attic for 30 years!

One person I took it to said he thought it was an L-00 from the 20s or 30s, but whenever I look up specs on those guitars, there is always something about this one that's a little off. Unfortunately, the only markings on the inside are a couple of very faded digits printed in red ink.

I recently had some work done to get it back into playing shape. We re-glued the bridge, which had been either moved or re-glued in the wrong place previously, we found a couple of replacement screws to get the tuners working. The saddle had to be replaced. After all that it sounds great, and it's really fun to play. On inspection, I realized that there must have been a trapeze style bridge on it at some point. Maybe original?

Here's a linkto photos: http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/aaronjhunter/media/full_zps3cabc3f3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

The width of the body at the widest point is 14.75".

The depth of the body is 4.25" at the bottom and 3.5-ish inches at the top.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help identify it!

The burst pattern and other features (pickguard, tuners, logo, bridge styling, logo) would likely put it as '36-'37. The tailpiece was certainly not original, but often installed to circumvent other repairs such as bridge reglues.

Very nice gift indeed.

Thanks, David!

• 4 months later...

You might want to quiz a moderator here, KSDADDY. He seemed to know more than a little bit about LGs in a thread eons ago.

This one appears to have had a trapeze tail piece with a floating bridge at one point. The trap was I think original equipment. The bridge appears to be either a replacement or an after market install. It also appears the bridge may have been installed more than once, or moved during the initial install. The usual method to install is to remove the finish under where the bridge is to be glued, then to have a wood to wood glue joint. There is evidence that this bridge once was closer to the sound board, then moved. The 'scar' was refinished.

There is an ugly wrinkle which makes the bridge look like it's sinking into the top. However, this is not the usually wa a bridge fails. It SHOULD pull UP, not sink. Could be the lighting.

Not a museum piece but if it sounds good all is good. And OH that MOJO!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived