Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird New builds?

JET777

Hello,

I am such a Gibson fan.

However, I love the sound of my HD28. To be honest, my dream is to own a Hummingbird. Could you give me your thoughts on the new ones? I play a bluesy style, and my J-45 suits this well. However, I find a lot of other acoustics are stiffer to bend on. What are the new Birds like? I am thinking of trading or selling my Martin for one. I love the sound of the Martin and I might be crazy to even think of doing this!! Anyone any advice would be appreciated to users who are familiar with both.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I'll stand up for the Hummingbird. I played Martins for years I owned a D28 a D18 the 2012 model a custom Martin plus a D15M and going way back a D1 and a DM. I will say 2 I had wanted were a D35 and a HD28. I bought a Hummingbird just recently and love the sound, and the feel of it the neck is perfect for me. The D28 I was never real happy with I didn't care for the neck and 1 11/16th nut width same with the D18 Performance neck even thought the nut width was 1 3/4in. My Hummingbirds bass is way better than I thought it would be and it has a ice woody sound. It has made me forget about getting a D35 or the HD28. I just finished some recording with the Hummingbird today and was more than pleased with it. Playing Martins for so long getting a Gibson was a good move for me getting a Hummingbird is the best guitar move I have made after years of playing I feel I got the acoustic with the sound and feel I've been searching for.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats. I just played Hummingbird Pro yesterday and it has been a while since I played a Hummingbird. The one I played yesterday I never would have bought. I played it side by side with a J-35, 15 and 45, and some Taylor's and some Martin's. I liked the J-15 I played much better than the Bird, and I would never part with my D-28. I also love my Martin D-15M Burst. I played and all Koa Martin that was the bomb.There is a store close to my house that has a pre-war Martin D-18 fully restored for $9500. I play it every time I go in and to me it is about $7000 over priced. I know it is pre-war, but it just does not wow me. It is cool to know you are playing something that old, but many of the other Martin's in the acoustic room sound better for that price you could buy about 4 Martins depending on model.

I agree with FZ [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived