Gibson Guitar Board: Gibson SG "Genre" - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson SG "Genre"

#1 User is offline   mexicanbob 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 08-December 13
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Good morning, all. Can anyone enlighten me on this SG model? Information online (and on these forums) is scarce for the "Genre" model. A guy near me has one for sale, wants $200 for it.

Where are they made? Solid wood/plywood? Electronics?

My son plays a Strat now but really likes SG's and is interested in buying this one (see, I'm trying my best to bring him back from the dark side).

From what I can tell it looks like a low-end/educational SG model. Any details from you all would be greatly appreciated!

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: 00707_lgWWT2Pu4ZE_600x450.jpg

Rico (aka, Mexicanbob)
You're never too old to learn guitar. Never.

#2 User is offline   pauloon 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 695
  • Joined: 01-February 10
  • Locationu.k.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

Better pics would help..but it doesn't look like a Gibson.


It could be a Gibson Baldwin S.G...these were indeed cheaper models,probably made in china,


probably something like this spec wise

Body Specs: Poplar/Maple veneer
NECK Species: Maple
Nut: Black
Neck Joint Type: Bolt on
FINGERBOARD
Species: Rosewood
Scale Length: 243/4''
Number of Frets: 22
Inlays: Dot
HARDWARE
Plating Finish: Chrome
Machine Heads (Tuners): Diecast
Strap Buttons: 1 neck joint, 1 bout
Pickguard: Black

#3 User is offline   mexicanbob 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 08-December 13
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

 pauloon, on 15 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Better pics would help..but it doesn't look like a Gibson.


It could be a Gibson Baldwin S.G...these were indeed cheaper models,probably made in china,


probably something like this spec wise

Body Specs: Poplar/Maple veneer
NECK Species: Maple
Nut: Black
Neck Joint Type: Bolt on
FINGERBOARD
Species: Rosewood
Scale Length: 243/4''
Number of Frets: 22
Inlays: Dot
HARDWARE
Plating Finish: Chrome
Machine Heads (Tuners): Diecast
Strap Buttons: 1 neck joint, 1 bout
Pickguard: Black


Yes, I think you're right. It does have the bolt-on neck. Thanks for the input, based on your feedback he's going to keep saving his $$$ for the real deal.
Rico (aka, Mexicanbob)
You're never too old to learn guitar. Never.

#4 User is offline   pauloon 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 695
  • Joined: 01-February 10
  • Locationu.k.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

 mexicanbob, on 15 February 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

Yes, I think you're right. It does have the bolt-on neck. Thanks for the input, based on your feedback he's going to keep saving his $ for the real deal.



Good move....you can get a Genuine Gibson S.G.J. for under $400.....they seem cracking guitars.


http://www.guitarcen...&src=gibson+sgj

#5 User is offline   Bender 4 Life 

  • Your Creepy Cousin
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6371
  • Joined: 26-May 08
  • LocationAlabama the Beautiful

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

 mexicanbob, on 15 February 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

Yes, I think you're right. It does have the bolt-on neck. Thanks for the input, based on your feedback he's going to keep saving his $$$ for the real deal.


a wise choice !!
Epi. makes some nice "budget" SGs (G400 series) and as mentioned, the SGJ is a good, playable, real Gibson.
Personally, i'd stay away from the "Genre" and "Gibson Maestro" line of guitars.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You won't hurt its feelings boy, play it like you stole it!

I'm a proud supporter of the A.S.P.C.A. and their "Guardian Angel" program.
Speaking up for those that can't speak for theirself,
A.S.P.C.A . We Are Their Voice !

#6 User is offline   Tony611 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 09-February 14

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

 mexicanbob, on 15 February 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Good morning, all. Can anyone enlighten me on this SG model? Information online (and on these forums) is scarce for the "Genre" model. A guy near me has one for sale, wants $200 for it.

Where are they made? Solid wood/plywood? Electronics?

My son plays a Strat now but really likes SG's and is interested in buying this one (see, I'm trying my best to bring him back from the dark side).

From what I can tell it looks like a low-end/educational SG model. Any details from you all would be greatly appreciated!

If it has strings,play it!

#7 User is offline   Tony611 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 09-February 14

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

The force is strong with this one! Darth Vader looks like he should be playing an SG.
If it has strings,play it!

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users