Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG "Genre"

mexicanbob

Good morning, all. Can anyone enlighten me on this SG model? Information online (and on these forums) is scarce for the "Genre" model. A guy near me has one for sale, wants $200 for it.

Where are they made? Solid wood/plywood? Electronics?

My son plays a Strat now but really likes SG's and is interested in buying this one (see, I'm trying my best to bring him back from the dark side).

From what I can tell it looks like a low-end/educational SG model. Any details from you all would be greatly appreciated!

post-61733-057464300 1392471817_thumb.jpg

Better pics would help..but it doesn't look like a Gibson.

It could be a Gibson Baldwin S.G...these were indeed cheaper models,probably made in china,

probably something like this spec wise

Body Specs: Poplar/Maple veneer

NECK Species: Maple

Nut: Black

Neck Joint Type: Bolt on

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood

Scale Length: 243/4''

Number of Frets: 22

Inlays: Dot

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Chrome

Machine Heads (Tuners): Diecast

Strap Buttons: 1 neck joint, 1 bout

Pickguard: Black

Better pics would help..but it doesn't look like a Gibson.

It could be a Gibson Baldwin S.G...these were indeed cheaper models,probably made in china,

probably something like this spec wise

Body Specs: Poplar/Maple veneer

NECK Species: Maple

Nut: Black

Neck Joint Type: Bolt on

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood

Scale Length: 243/4''

Number of Frets: 22

Inlays: Dot

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Chrome

Machine Heads (Tuners): Diecast

Strap Buttons: 1 neck joint, 1 bout

Pickguard: Black

Yes, I think you're right. It does have the bolt-on neck. Thanks for the input, based on your feedback he's going to keep saving his $$$ for the real deal.

Yes, I think you're right. It does have the bolt-on neck. Thanks for the input, based on your feedback he's going to keep saving his $ for the real deal.

Good move....you can get a Genuine Gibson S.G.J. for under $400.....they seem cracking guitars.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=gibson+sgj&src=gibson+sgj

Yes, I think you're right. It does have the bolt-on neck. Thanks for the input, based on your feedback he's going to keep saving his $$$ for the real deal.

a wise choice !!

Epi. makes some nice "budget" SGs (G400 series) and as mentioned, the SGJ is a good, playable, real Gibson.

Personally, i'd stay away from the "Genre" and "Gibson Maestro" line of guitars.

Good morning, all. Can anyone enlighten me on this SG model? Information online (and on these forums) is scarce for the "Genre" model. A guy near me has one for sale, wants $200 for it.

Where are they made? Solid wood/plywood? Electronics?

My son plays a Strat now but really likes SG's and is interested in buying this one (see, I'm trying my best to bring him back from the dark side).

From what I can tell it looks like a low-end/educational SG model. Any details from you all would be greatly appreciated!

Archived