Gibson Brands Forums

I did a BAD BAD thing....

NHTom

REALLY not in a place to do this right now, but once I played it, I knew I was in trouble.........

gibson-les-paul-special_zps43357616.jpg

Pulled the trigger....on layaway......should be home in a few weeks....

2001 LP Special Mahogany P90

NHTom

Oh hell yes! Congrats!!! [thumbup]

Don't you know by now to never...ever...touch a Gibson.. hold it.. play it... unless you are prepared to take her home.. [-X

Bad Tom! Go to your room! :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice!

Just remember, there IS a methematical equation for the number of guitars one must have...

You take a variable for the number of guitars you currently have, let's say "X" for this exercise. The equation is taking the guitars you currently own X and applying the X-factor so the guitars you must have = X+1. There you have it, it's that simple, the guitars you must have = the number of guitars you currently own +1...

So even if you purchase another guitar, the new "current" number of guitars you own becomes X, and if the number of guitars you must have always equals X+1...

You always must have 1 more! [biggrin]

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like them. I don't think they're suitable for shredding or really heavy stuff, but for blues rock type stuff I think they sound fine. As long as you don't mind fiddling with your amp settings I think they can produce some sweet tones.

I have a couple of Les Paul Junior "lites" that came stock, with P-100's.

I too, am in the minority, as I like them, a lot, also. And I have both

P-90 guitars, and Humbucker guitars, as well. P-100's are a nice fit, in

between. They don't have quite the mid-range "quack" that a P-90 has, but

are a bit more "mellow" in tone...(which is why some don't like them, apparently).

But, as stated, I like them, and I have no plans, to change the P-100's, at this time.

CB

Nice!

Just remember, there IS a methematical equation for the number of guitars one must have...

You take a variable for the number of guitars you currently have, let's say "X" for this exercise. The equation is taking the guitars you currently own X and applying the X-factor so the guitars you must have = X+1. There you have it, it's that simple, the guitars you must have = the number of guitars you currently own +1...

So even if you purchase another guitar, the new "current" number of guitars you own becomes X, and if the number of guitars you must have always equals X+1...

I have taken to calling myself a "collector" of fine instruments to justify my acquisitions.

REALLY not in a place to do this right now, but once I played it, I knew I was in trouble.........

gibson-les-paul-special_zps43357616.jpg

Pulled the trigger....on layaway......should be home in a few weeks....

2001 LP Special Mahogany P90

NHTom

Looks like a fine catch. [thumbup] Sometimes letting go would cause more trouble :rolleyes:

FATAL.....

To play any Gibson you don't own ...........................

nice guitar mind.

There have been Gibsons I coudn't resist before ever having played them.

Oh hell yes! Congrats!!! [thumbup]

Don't you know by now to never...ever...touch a Gibson.. hold it.. play it... unless you are prepared to take her home.. [-X

Bad Tom! Go to your room! :)

Yes - players can become very quickly very clinging to guitars

Nice!

Looks a bit like adopting Murphy's Law for proving that you are short of exactly one every time [unsure] ;)

Can feel awkward when on stage :rolleyes:

I have taken to calling myself a "collector" of fine instruments to justify my acquisitions.

If I may keep on playing regardless of calling myself a collector, I perhaps should consider that [biggrin]

No sooner than having read this thread a few days ago I stopped by a local guitar store yesterday to see an old friend and there it was... the exact same guitar as the one pictured here except in an ebony finish and a 1996 model. :blink: He wants $850 for it. I walked away because I don't need it. But I've been thinking about it ever since I did. [angry] Then I got to wondering how a person can tell if those are P-90s or P-100s in the one I'm looking at locally. What to do what to do what to do.. sighhhhhh [blink]

No sooner than having read this thread a few days ago I stopped by a local guitar store yesterday to see an old friend and there it was... the exact same guitar as the one pictured here except in an ebony finish and a 1996 model. :blink: He wants $850 for it. I walked away because I don't need it. But I've been thinking about it ever since I did. [angry] Then I got to wondering how a person can tell if those are P-90s or P-100s in the one I'm looking at locally. What to do what to do what to do.. sighhhhhh [blink]

Check near a mains transformer if they are humbucking or not. If yes, they are P-100s, if no, P-90s. Do you shy away from touching her... [unsure] ... or are you looking for a reason just to do so? [scared]

[biggrin]

Just go get it........lol..........then I'll be in good company!!!

I am not sure on the 100/90 myself. I'm going to see how I like it and if not, I've got my eye on some duncans I'd like to try in it anyway.

From what I can tell, It was year by year, but I've yet to find a spec list of which years had 100 and which 90's.

NHTom

I had a black '99, it was definitely p100s. I too like them, and I should have kept that guitar. Traded it in a pile of stuff for <gag> a Taylor that I had for 6 whole months before I got rid of it. And no, I don't know what I was thinking either.

rct

Coming in here to ask about maybe getting a guitar is like a crack head going to his crack dealer to ask if he should or shouldn't buy some more crack. You guys are no help whatsoever. LOL

I just called the dealer and got the serial number - turns out it's a 1998 not a 1996. I explained to him he should discount it since I had to tell him what year the guitar was [biggrin]

He just laughed and said "no". [cursing]

I emailed Gibson the serial number and asked them to tell me what's in it. The owner says P90s but he also said it was a 96 so he has no credibility now... [rolleyes]

Coming in here to ask about maybe getting a guitar is like a crack head going to his crack dealer to ask if he should or shouldn't buy some more crack. You guys are no help whatsoever. LOL

So you would have expected from me keeping the humbucker/single coil thing a secret... [biggrin] ... just to prevent you from buying the guitar, from swapping PUs, or what else? How can I be still of help other than with telling you lies or just ignoring your posts, or trying to make you ask something completely different and maybe irrelevant? [scared]

OK, there's NOTHING irrelevant about guitars ;)

I just called the dealer and got the serial number - turns out it's a 1998 not a 1996. I explained to him he should discount it since I had to tell him what year the guitar was [biggrin]

He just laughed and said "no". [cursing]

I emailed Gibson the serial number and asked them to tell me what's in it. The owner says P90s but he also said it was a 96 so he has no credibility now... [rolleyes]

ahhhhhhhhh........perfect!!! Just play the game of "oh, the 96's are super rare and sought after......but since this is a 98, I'll still take it if you knock a couple hundred off".....lol Anxious to hear what they tell you about pups

NHTom

So you would have expected from me keeping the humbucker/single coil thing a secret... [biggrin] ... just to prevent you from buying the guitar, from swapping PUs, or what else? How can I be still of help other than with telling you lies or just ignoring your posts, or trying to make you ask something completely different and maybe irrelevant? [scared]

OK, there's NOTHING irrelevant about guitars ;)

[biggrin][thumbup]

I just found the exact same thing on ebay for $699 + $35 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-1998-Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-Black-LP-Electric-Guitar-w-Original-Hard-Case-/221365511226?pt=Guitar&hash=item338a69a43a

I texted the owner and told him his price is too high. We'll see what happens. <_<

"HI, my name is TOM and I have a problem......"

\:D/

NHTom

Welcome here, Tom, isn't it good sharing our problems here ;)

Take a look at mine, and yours will seem much easier to yourself :rolleyes:

Should work perhaps for each and every one of us here when looking at anyone else [biggrin]

Let's take each other by the hand, and we all won't be able to touch a guitar anymore [scared]

:P

[biggrin][thumbup]

I just found the exact same thing on ebay for $699 + $35 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-1998-Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-Black-LP-Electric-Guitar-w-Original-Hard-Case-/221365511226?pt=Guitar&hash=item338a69a43a

I texted the owner and told him his price is too high. We'll see what happens. <_<

Damn... you posted VERY RELEVANT informations... hope that clearing up things might help your situation [smile]

Archived