Gibson Brands Forums

I did a BAD BAD thing....

NHTom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sooner than having read this thread a few days ago I stopped by a local guitar store yesterday to see an old friend and there it was... the exact same guitar as the one pictured here except in an ebony finish and a 1996 model. :blink: He wants $850 for it. I walked away because I don't need it. But I've been thinking about it ever since I did. [angry] Then I got to wondering how a person can tell if those are P-90s or P-100s in the one I'm looking at locally. What to do what to do what to do.. sighhhhhh [blink]

So are P100's 10 louder than P90's ?

I remember rolled off highs with the P100s when I had my 78/55 Les Paul Special. I'd flip to the bridge pick up and it was kind of underwhelming for rock stuff. I can't comment on the volume difference.

It was a great guitar otherwise, though. I only paid $400 back in the early 80s, now I see them on eBay for over 2 grand which is ridiculous.

Well I haven't heard back from Gibson yet regarding my P90/P100 question but I'm suspecting that they're P100s. Usually takes Gibson a day or so to get back to me but they always do so in fairly short order. I've had a couple of Gibbys over the years with P100s and I don't really remember enough about my opinion of them now but the fact I sold or traded them and didn't hang on to them probably tells me all I need to know that they apparently didn't strike my fancy in one way or another - I think Steve probably hit it best - so that may make my decision whether or not to proceed further with this easier than I initially suspected.

I also called the guitar shop owner and asked why he was so set on his pricing and he told me he didn't have any room to move on it because it is a consignment piece and the seller won't budge. One of two things will occur here over time - the seller will take his guitar back home or he will come down on the price. Either way I'm pretty darn sure I won't bring that one home.

The fun part was spending about an hour looking at a bunch of them all over the net to see the price ranges and available options. The greatest thing is having a really good stable of Gibsons in my brothel and it helps to temper my gear lusting when I get excited. I blame Gibson for making so many really great guitars. And NHTom for posting pictures of his new girl. [crying] lol [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

OK..........took longer than I planned, but FINALLY picked up the new toy...........2001 Gibson Les Paul Special. I believe the color is "natural mahogany"

Marge3_zps118b9e25.jpg

Love it, Love it, Love it!!!

Plays great.....have not opened it up yet, but judging by lack of hum, I assume they are P100's. Sound good...I'll play with them for a while and decide if I'm going to experiment with other P90's or just leave them. Sound good with my little Laney Cub.

Also, ended up not having to worry about a case as discussed above......they said they might have a used Gibson case, so I went there to pick it up planning on buying a decent used one and they didn't have anything.......offered to sell me a new Epi case and since I really didn't want to haul it home with nothing, I said I'd take it........the owner walked by and said "just give him that case"..........so brand new still in the plastic epi case it is......

Marge4_zps169dcba9.jpg

NHTom

OH..........and by the way...........since the topic of addiction came up............while picking up the LP Special, I did take time to put a Sonex 180 Deluxe on layaway too........

I've got a REAL problem.......

NHTom

OH..........and by the way...........since the topic of addiction came up............while picking up the LP Special, I did take time to put a Sonex 180 Deluxe on layaway too........

I've got a REAL problem.......

NHTom

Yup [thumbup]

Okay brother... you bought a nice guitar and told us about it... and included the pics we love. Even got a nice case for it. HNGD!!!

So what was the bad, bad thing you were talking about?! :-)

Tom, I have it so bad I can't ask them to take a Gibby off the wall so I can play it. That, my friend, is a dangerous thing for me! I gotta stay in good graces with "Headquarters Element" :-)

It was pretty funny.......

they brought the special out and put it on a stand while they were looking for a case. In the mean time I grabbed that Sonex and played it and when they came back I'm standing there beside the special holding the sonex.

They looked at me like "HUH?"

I said "I'm picking one up, and putting the next one on layaway........"

They just kind of laughed and said "OK"

I explained that if you'd stop having good used gibsons at good prices, we wouldn't have this issue......lol.

NHTom

Nice one Tom. Congratulations.

That finish should age very nicely over time too.

I'd love one in a double cut.

yes, it has a few bumps and bruises, but should have some nice "mojo" once it gets a bit older.

I wish it was a double cut, but I never seem to find any around here......they get snatched up quickly.

NHTom

Pulled the pups out last night......definitely p100

Have to admit, I'm really liking them. The bridge one gives a nice bit of grit but still has very good individual string definition. Not a metal shredder, but a great classic rock tone. The neck is a little dark......almost like the tone is rolled off a bit. May not change them, as I have other guitars that have other sounds. Nice to have something a little different.

Love the feel of the neck and the weight/balance of the guitar.

I definitely think there will be more Specials in my future.

NHTom

Archived