Gibson Brands Forums

I did a BAD BAD thing....

NHTom

REALLY not in a place to do this right now, but once I played it, I knew I was in trouble.........

gibson-les-paul-special_zps43357616.jpg

Pulled the trigger....on layaway......should be home in a few weeks....

2001 LP Special Mahogany P90

NHTom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not actually sure if it is P90 or P100......either way, sounded good.

I saw it on facebook listed by a nearby shop. I've been looking for one and have literally driven 2 hours on one trip to miss a red one by a couple hours and then drove to this same shop (1 hour away) a week after that to have a tv yellow one be sold an hour before I got there.

It was a nice day, so said to heck with it.....lets see if I find one still there......and it was.

Wasn't going to be my first color choice, but it's a bit darker in real life and really grabbed me.

I knew I was in trouble when I picked it up and without plugging it in, started playing "Sick as a dog" by Aerosmith and it had such a ring to it that several people stopped playing and looked at me......lol....I'm shy when I play so I figured it either sounded really bad or REALLY good......the more I played, the more I loved the sound......and this is before even plugging in.

I knew it was all over but the paying.....lol.

NHTom

Cool choice... the only thing that would make it better is if it was a double cut :P (but im bias :))

And yeah they should fit into a LP case.. The specials are a bit slimmer but the same shape apart from that

I got one like this for my Double cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rockcase-by-Warwick-RC-10604-VTCT-4-LP-Les-Paul-Curved-Tweed-hardshell-case-/171225083969?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27ddcf7041

And nah, if its going to bring you happiness then I say, you only live once.. Get what you want as long as its not taking food away from your childs mouth type thing ;) (now that would be wrong)

I agree Rabs.......I would have loved a double cut, but just never seem to come across any in this area and I prefer to play them in person.

Thanks for the case info.

No extra movement from the difference in thickness???

Thanks,

NHTom

I agree Rabs.......I would have loved a double cut, but just never seem to come across any in this area and I prefer to play them in person.

Thanks for the case info.

No extra movement from the difference in thickness???

Thanks,

NHTom

A little... But I don't think you will get one that fits exactly.. You can just put like a towel or a tshirt on top of the body to fill any extra space... But its not too bad. That's why those tweed ones are good, I think they are a bit slimmer than the normal Gibson case you get.

I cant find the make that I got on ebay any more.. but they are cool.. Actually I will get some pics for you to compare..

The shop I got it at usually has used Gibson brand cases for short money (like $75 depending on how "used" the case is).......if not, I've looked at Rondo music cases and Guitar Fetish ones for LP's.....

Mine normally don't travel much, so it's not that much of a problem........as you said, if I find it's an issue, a pure cotton towel in the bottom of the case should take care of any issues.

Thanks,

Tom

The shop I got it at usually has used Gibson brand cases for short money (like $75 depending on how "used" the case is).......if not, I've looked at Rondo music cases and Guitar Fetish ones for LP's.....

Mine normally don't travel much, so it's not that much of a problem........as you said, if I find it's an issue, a pure cotton towel in the bottom of the case should take care of any issues.

Thanks,

Tom

Here you go anyway :D The one I have is called a Westfield

So here you can see that its a bit slimmer

DSC05764_zpsc787cfb8.jpg

And heres how a Standard and a Special fit in the tweed case

DSC05765_zps34b4bbb5.jpg

DSC05766_zps217db5bc.jpg

and in a Gibson case

DSC05769_zpsa540e0b4.jpg

DSC05770_zpsc906d6bb.jpg

So you can see, having a slimmer case seems to help a bit [thumbup] Happy playing man, they sure are fun guitars :)

I've had both the double cutaway and the single like you're getting. You can't go wrong either way. With the thinner body it's easier to reach the upper frets than on the regular carved top Les Paul so that's not that much of an issue.

I'm told that P100s can be converted over to P90s easily enough, it's something along the lines of disconnecting a wire. The P100s are more of a smooth jazz sound so the bridge pick up isn't much of a rock and roller.

I have a couple guitars where the shape of the guitar is perfect, but the thickness of the guitar is off a little.

So what I did was pick up a sheet of foam from a fabric store, cut it out to match the shape of the inside of the case<not the guitar shape> but cut it about 1/2 larger all the way around.

Then wrap the foam with the same fabric as the inside of the case. Use spray glue only on the side of the foam that will face the case.

If you use the correct spray glue, it will not penetrate through the new material.

After you glue down the fabric, it should be able to tuck into the case with out any other means other than the friction of the new material squeezing against the edges of the case.

I did a coupe of mine years ago with the same material as the cases and if you did not know it was done that way, it almost looks factory, and there is no movement of the guitars at all. You can get foam up to 3" in thickness. I used 3/4" foam for mine.

I've had both the double cutaway and the single like you're getting. You can't go wrong either way. With the thinner body it's easier to reach the upper frets than on the regular carved top Les Paul so that's not that much of an issue.

I'm told that P100s can be converted over to P90s easily enough, it's something along the lines of disconnecting a wire. The P100s are more of a smooth jazz sound so the bridge pick up isn't much of a rock and roller.

If I find it has 100's and I don't like them, I've been wanting to throw a set of Duncan "Hot Soapbar" pups in something, so this will be the victim.

NHTom

Foam can do it - although I've mostly done the "cotton towel" thing, as did most folks I knew in the olden days <grin> with various flattops and archtops in semi-mismatched cases.

Bottom line on this buy is that if it suits you, you've made a great buy.

On pups... you might wanna think some TV Jones stuff for a Gretschy sorta sound too...

Best t'yuh f'r sure.

m

Archived