Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special Left Hand

Rogerstodge

Hi all,

Anybody seen a lefty sg standard bass on their travels or know of anyone selling one in the UK preferably,?

Don't mind which colour really (walnut...wow).

I have emailed loads of shops/dealers but no luck,

Thanks in advance,

Paul..

Thanks admin for accepting me on this forum

Cheers Glenn, how would i go about finding these "cack handed gibbo players?

Lefty Bass, on page 19 of Show Your Basses topic, here in Gibson USA Basses, has a left SG Std. Bass pictured. Amongst other left handed basses. He may be able to point you in the right direction, about where to look for left handed basses.

Hi all,

Anybody seen a lefty sg standard bass on their travels or know of anyone selling one in the UK preferably,?

Don't mind which colour really (walnut...wow).

I have emailed loads of shops/dealers but no luck,

Thanks in advance,

Paul..

Thanks admin for accepting me on this forum

Hi,

Best of luck!!

To my knowledge there were two leftie SGs in the UK - GAK had a brown one, and I think there was a faded cherry one kicking about somewhere (I did see a nice Heritage Cherry one at Southpaw in Texas but - with shipping and customs - it was way too much).

I have finally got hold of an ebony one second hand from Italy - only ebony one I've seen for sale anywhere.

I think Gibson made a very small number of them - and no shops, to my knowledge, have any in stock - and I was never able to get an answer from Gibson about availability - or if they were making any more.

Reckon your best bet is watching Ebay and checking Arnis Lefty page every so often.

Hope you find one - it was worth the wait and struggle - lovely bass - in its own, unique way!

(note to Gibson Quality Control - my bass, which I'm assured, was not altered by the original owner - had the tone control and jack socket reversed (and by the lengths of wire etc, this looked factory fresh)and one of the earth lugs hadn't been soldered. Also, the wood has split under the control cover where two of the screws were put in with a little too much gusto! Apart from the wood, all rectified but it really shouldn't have escaped the factory like that)

Hi,

Best of luck!!

To my knowledge there were two leftie SGs in the UK - GAK had a brown one, and I think there was a faded cherry one kicking about somewhere (I did see a nice Heritage Cherry one at Southpaw in Texas but - with shipping and customs - it was way too much).

I have finally got hold of an ebony one second hand from Italy - only ebony one I've seen for sale anywhere.

I think Gibson made a very small number of them - and no shops, to my knowledge, have any in stock - and I was never able to get an answer from Gibson about availability - or if they were making any more.

Reckon your best bet is watching Ebay and checking Arnis Lefty page every so often.

Hope you find one - it was worth the wait and struggle - lovely bass - in its own, unique way!

(note to Gibson Quality Control - my bass, which I'm assured, was not altered by the original owner - had the tone control and jack socket reversed (and by the lengths of wire etc, this looked factory fresh)and one of the earth lugs hadn't been soldered. Also, the wood has split under the control cover where two of the screws were put in with a little too much gusto! Apart from the wood, all rectified but it really shouldn't have escaped the factory like that)

Thanks for the reply matey,

Yea i've tried GAK and they have emailed gibson for me but they never replied, i spoke to southpaw and its $350.00 shipping.. Phew.. I will keep checking ebay and Arnis , did you get yours from ebay Italy? Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply matey,

Yea i've tried GAK and they have emailed gibson for me but they never replied, i spoke to southpaw and its $350.00 shipping.. Phew.. I will keep checking ebay and Arnis , did you get yours from ebay Italy? Thanks again.

Hi,

Sounds like you have walked the same line as me !!

I spoke to two Gibson staff - one USA and one UK - at MusikMesse in Frankfurt - neither ever came back to me although both promised to find out about supply and availability of lefties!!

Southpaw wanted dollar for pound equal for a leftie SG in Heritage - add on the freight (how come 350 when others do it for under 100?) and the 20% duty plus clearance fees etc and a Ric would have been cheaper!!

Got mine via Arnis - guy in Italy had got hold of an SG and a Tbird and was only keeping the Tbird - maybe supply was better over there. All I've seen here are the EBs - bastard child of a Stingray and a Precision - although they play beautifully and sound really nice!!

But I really, really wanted a short scale - paid off after a year monitoring Ebay, Arnis, websites etc - wonder if Gibson will do another batch.

Good luck!!

There is a website called "leftyfretz" that stated gibson are making every model of bass in left hand also, supposed to be this year so maybe i should sit tight for a bit as its only February, i think ive seen the one you purchased on Arnis, was it the ebony one ?

Hi,

Yup, saw the leftyfretz thing - they said that in 2013 as well - and they probably did make at least ONE of every model - stores like Andertons in Guilford had reversed snaps of every bass as 'lefties' on their website with no availability shown. GAK also listed a few for a while. The 'grandaddy' - Thomann - said they weren't stocking them and had no plans to - and Thomann only carry things that they know they can supply to customers. Ultimately its down to Gibson - if they would say what they were doing - or list on their website which models are available left handed (in the way Fender and Musicman do) it would make life a lot easier for us mad fools who want a leftie Gibson bass!!

Yes... I bought the ebony one - its the only ebony leftie I have seen anywhere - maybe someone on this site can tell me if there are any others - given the quality issues, it may well have been a one off - who knows!!!

Planning to fit a Hipshot bridge to it to give it a bit more oomph!

Have just fitted the Hipshot Supertone bridge - bass is transformed!! Sounds like I have fitted new pickups - gone is the muddy tone - though neck pickup still pretty dark - much more clarity, louder, more tonal range, far better intonation - this bridge is a revelation!! Gibson should really consider fitting it as standard on the next re-issue.

Archived