Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Gone?

houndman55

Hey everybody,

I've noticed that on Gibson website their banjos and dobros are "currently unavailable". It alsos seems like Gibson stopped making Mandolins and L-5's (the acoustic type). Does it mean that Gibson more or less stopped making all of these instruments or is it a temporary thing?

• 4 weeks later...

They are still building mandolins in the Custom Shop. I just bought a new F5L Fern. It was completed on March 14, 2014.

I didn't realize Epiphone was building the Dobro brand now. Not sure what the chances are of getting a new Gibson banjo anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

No banjos have been made since some time before the Nashville flood. Mandos are being made in Montana I think. The Epiphone is an import nothing near a genuine Gibson Mastertone. Sadly, word is the true Mastertone ain't coming back to the banjo market. No priority considering the relatively low sales volume. Most are turning to domestic makers that make copies (uh tribute banjos)

No banjos have been made since some time before the Nashville flood. Mandos are being made in Montana I think. The Epiphone is an import nothing near a genuine Gibson Mastertone. Sadly, word is the true Mastertone ain't coming back to the banjo market. No priority considering the relatively low sales volume. Most are turning to domestic makers that make copies (uh tribute banjos)

I'll just say this again. Gibson is still building mandolins. They are building them in the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville. They are probably the best mandolins Gibson has built since the 1920s mandolins signed by Lloyd Loar.

The Montana factory only puts out acoustic guitars. Unfortunately Gibson banjos seem to be a thing of the past.

Archived