• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Gone?

#1 User is offline   houndman55 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hey everybody,

I've noticed that on Gibson website their banjos and dobros are "currently unavailable". It alsos seems like Gibson stopped making Mandolins and L-5's (the acoustic type). Does it mean that Gibson more or less stopped making all of these instruments or is it a temporary thing?

#2 User is offline   slimt 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNear the Mountains...

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

They may have... Lots of Nice used ones out there..

#3 User is offline   Dave F 

• Plain Old Member
  • LocationKY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

I just ordered a F5L mandolin about 4 weeks ago through a dealer. They checked and were told it would be about 10 weeks for delivery. We'll see.

#4 User is offline   mandotrout 

• LocationMontana, USA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

They are still building mandolins in the Custom Shop. I just bought a new F5L Fern. It was completed on March 14, 2014.

I didn't realize Epiphone was building the Dobro brand now. Not sure what the chances are of getting a new Gibson banjo anytime soon.

#5 User is offline   Martin 1940D28 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Both Gibson and Martin left us a few years back. All you have to do is compare...

#6 User is offline   Kevin B 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

No banjos have been made since some time before the Nashville flood. Mandos are being made in Montana I think. The Epiphone is an import nothing near a genuine Gibson Mastertone. Sadly, word is the true Mastertone ain't coming back to the banjo market. No priority considering the relatively low sales volume. Most are turning to domestic makers that make copies (uh tribute banjos)
Kevin - '89 Gibson RB3 Five String Banjo ( )==='=<::}

#7 User is offline   mandotrout 

• LocationMontana, USA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostKevin B, on 04 April 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

No banjos have been made since some time before the Nashville flood. Mandos are being made in Montana I think. The Epiphone is an import nothing near a genuine Gibson Mastertone. Sadly, word is the true Mastertone ain't coming back to the banjo market. No priority considering the relatively low sales volume. Most are turning to domestic makers that make copies (uh tribute banjos)

I'll just say this again. Gibson is still building mandolins. They are building them in the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville. They are probably the best mandolins Gibson has built since the 1920s mandolins signed by Lloyd Loar.

The Montana factory only puts out acoustic guitars. Unfortunately Gibson banjos seem to be a thing of the past.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users