Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Signature Recording Model

Aurora200

Is there any support for a Les Paul Signature Recording Model for the man himself? I've seen him play at Iridium in New York City several times and he always uses his 1970's vintage Recording model. Les ain't getting any younger!

Excerpt from June 9, 2005, Modern Guitars Magazine

Les Paul Interview

Les Paul guitars have been around since 1952, with countless sold -- if you could have only one, which one would you choose?

LP: The one I'm playing. It happens to be a Les Paul Recording and it's not the most popular one of the Les Paul line for many reasons. But that particular guitar is the type of guitar that gives me the sound that I want without any equalization and all the problems you have with all the other guitars -- with all the voodoo stuff on them. I don't have any of that. I just go right into the port and do my thing and we just make the album. There's no equalization at all. Nothing.

It's a 1971, a brown one. I also have a black one that was one of the first prototypes made of what they call the recording guitar due to its low impedance device. The black one's so good that I'm afraid to take it down to the club because if I leave it on that stool it would be gone in a minute. You know, when I was in Chicago they'd take a jack to the lid of the car trunk. I lost many guitars that way - stolen. They should do it more with accordions...[laughs].

lpr_ad_3a.jpg

LP_w_LPR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aurora200,

I just joined this forum and spotted your posting. I own a much abused Recording model that needs work. I'm jealous of your experience to see L.P. in NY! Here goes: This guy in the UK has helped me quite a bit and has a nice site. Dave@Gould68.Freeserve.Co.UK But closer to home (USA I presume?) you may want to contact this man - Chuck Burge. He was, at the time I spoke with him still winding pickups and working with Les - specifically on the Recording model. As Chuck told me, "...at 91, Les was still tinkering..."! Hope this helps.

Oh, and by the way....I like the way they sound but I don't think it would sell today. The same challenge that the model encountered back in the day. I'd vote ("YES") to see it a close approximate "reissued" but:

(1) Maybe Les & Bill Lawrence could collaborate on a newer pickup design & wiring system?

(2) Lighter weight - every one I played has weighed a ton! (Mine does...) Chambered?

(3) Standardize the body since the originals are bigger-sized than stock L.P. (Don't ever lose your OHSC!)

I understand your points. It would be hard to imagine that this guitar would be anything other than a limited production model. The features clearly have their use and would be appropriate as a Custom Shop guitar, but it is definitely not for beginners. Have you actually used your Recording model for recording? One would assume its real purpose can be maximized in the studio. No?

Nice topic, but I voted "no". If Gibson was to reissue a Les Paul Recording, we all know what will happen:

1. They would change the original oversize body of the Recording to a regular sized Les Paul Body =P~

2. They would drill holes into the body for weight relief [-(

3. They would change the volute neck for a standard one [-(

4. They would change the headstock/neck angle [-(

5. They would use cheap plastic fretboard inlays instead of real MOP [-([-([-(

6. They would mount a TOM bridge instead of an original Schaller bridge [-(

7. They would change the neck pickup position for being able to use a standard fretboard [-( [-( [-(

8. They would ask 7 to 10 k for a cheap and inaccurate reissue [-([-([-([-([-(

The very few people who really appreciate the sound and handling of a Recording still find enough original 70s samples on the market for way less money. I bought mine in November 2008 for $1.500. So take a 1.5 or 2 k $ second hand recording, fly to NY, visit the man himself in the Iridium, ask him for his autograph on the pickguard and enjoy a Les Paul Signature Recording way more authentic than a Gibson reissue ever could be!!!

And now enjoy the pictures of my Recording 1973 (pickguard taken off for optical reasons) Cheers

FF4jO1THAJHpObKh1AOVO4hPL.jpg

wH9db2edNNP2XkP0rOmdpDomB.jpg

GnmlcSDSlDKLvJYmPK3xpiLwU.jpg

WSPfDVN4SgHrwVgl9gXNMhzNJ.jpg

d8vDn8aAOAt202DHGsEmkyUWT.jpg

xiJXSrxkcQTLuiOQaYGglEJpr.jpg

t4O8HkhYU9pcR8hQX03wib3gc.jpg

d1kAyyPd9VoqzugBhHWJYVwPz.jpg

mDfKHgcs78TTOa8UfOplifuvK.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hear Gibson is only selling 600 of these guitars. If so, they are down to 599 because mine arrived at my local guitar shop with a broken headstock. Fortunately, my shop was able to reserve another one from the factory before they were all gone.

Archived