Gibson Brands Forums

2 335s, difference in tone? one's warmer

jc1funk

Only naive bedroom bandits, starry eyed creative romantics and professional amateurs think stage image is unimportant. Even the most ratty look is usually carefully considered... maybe not actively, but at least passively.

Personally I wish it could just be about the music, but on stage, you are there to entertain, and its the bands with the whole package that make the larger impact on a scene/crowd.

I like the comment that says "set the trend", which while its a nice sentiment, only applies once you have clout in the industry at a pretty high level.

So in the meantime, I'm still chasing that black 335. Of course there's no way I'd trade for an inferior instrument but the fact is there's bound to be a black one out there that is as good if not better than mine and when that time comes I just hope I'm in a position to make a move.

Only naive bedroom bandits, starry eyed creative romantics and professional amateurs think stage image is unimportant. Even the most ratty look is usually carefully considered... maybe not actively, but at least passively.

Personally I wish it could just be about the music, but on stage, you are there to entertain, and its the bands with the whole package that make the larger impact on a scene/crowd.

I like the comment that says "set the trend", which while its a nice sentiment, only applies once you have clout in the industry at a pretty high level.

So in the meantime, I'm still chasing that black 335. Of course there's no way I'd trade for an inferior instrument but the fact is there's bound to be a black one out there that is as good if not better than mine and when that time comes I just hope I'm in a position to make a move.

I'm with you here; guitars are offered in several finishes because we as individuals like different options (shocking, huh). We should all be able to have our cake and eat it too; sound is important but so is the aesthetic. It's up to the individual if this pairing should be 50/50 or skewed towards either of the two in terms of preference for purchase. There have been plenty of guitars I've played that sounded great, but the aesthetics didn't appeal to me; and I'm glad because it's saved me a lot of money :P

The look of a guitar is mainly stuff for player's indulgence. If your audiences tend to calling people 'naive bedroom bandits, starry eyed creative romantics and professional amateurs' you will have to try matching their indulgence, too. However, I don't think that your "stage image" is significantly affected by a sunburst or a black guitar. Audiences tend to be attracted by flashy things, and neither sunburst nor black are. These finishes won't divert from your face, clothing, gesture, moves, and most of all, music.

In case you want to impress someone with the look of your guitar, crazy finishes like sparkling pink with green flashes or sparkling green with pink flashes could make people remember. Anyway, there's still a difference between playing on stage or posing for a wallpaper.

Just my two cents...

What was Bill Wyman's state presence? Stand there and play the hell out of the bass at a 45 degree angle. Same with John Entwistle. But John did do it in flashy clothes, and a leather skeleton suit once. Then he had a stripper and blow back at the hotel room waiting for him. That is a Rock Star.

Cool hair, cool Threads, chewed Gum, Stone faced, stood like a Statue, always had a *****en Bass Guitar & sometimes big Ampeg's on each of the sides of the Stage. Show biz to the Max! And, he wasn't even the Star of that Band! One of the coolest Back Line Dudes ever.

Lars

Well I guess I am BLESSED!!! I have a 68 335TD one owner ME! and I love it. Baby has that Gibson Sound I have loved all my life.

I have turned down over $4000 for her. She has been in the studio so much, when I plug her in she plays herself LOL (Well almost)

My Bigsby tail peace works GREAT! after 46 years. All I had to do is change out the headers over 40 years ago. I know that might

have made the value go down but it was worth it and I still have the old ones. I use D'addario strings 10's I like their sound even

when they are a little old. Really when I'm recording I like for my strings to have a little age on them, to me they record better.

Well take care and PLAY ON! Here's Baby being played by Randy Shelnut of The Dixie Echoes. I'm with The Beulah Land Quartet.

Tom Stoner

post-2821-098697300 1407901807_thumb.jpg

Well I found one that was as good, if not better than the triburst. Traded on Friday night, christened it with an epic gig last night (Sat)! Behold, The Widow. OMFG this is everything I want a 335 to be...

10400871_10152377761320808_8921817376030140246_n_zps9ccb80b0.jpg

Archived