Gibson Brands Forums

J-15

bill67

Love mine just trying different strings this weekend didn't care for the bluegrass set . I think the light gauge right now are what works the 80/20 have a good sound Gibson brand have an edge . Bone Bridge pins are a slight improvement to. Still amazed by the great looking wood on this. I'd rather play it than post much with any free time I have right now . I would play all night long if I could .

The reason it may be calming down is that the J-15 is already following the example of the J-35. There was a whole lot of initial hoopla about it and then it seemed to settle down as you started hearing folks say, while they liked the guitar, they still prefer the J-45. This is not a slam against the newer additions to the Gibson line but more a testament to the staying power of the J-45.

A lot of us haven't had a chance to play one yet. I'm looking forward to trying one out. Nice looking wood on the pics I've seen. My impression is that as a tone wood, walnut is somewhere in between mahogany and rosewood. The combination of the richer overtones of the back and sides with the stiffness of the 3 piece maple neck - which I am guessing enhances the high end - seems intriguing to me. This is one of the few 'permutation guitars' that has appealed to me, at least on paper.

A lot of us haven't had a chance to play one yet. I'm looking forward to trying one out. Nice looking wood on the pics I've seen. My impression is that as a tone wood, walnut is somewhere in between mahogany and rosewood. The combination of the richer overtones of the back and sides with the stiffness of the 3 piece maple neck - which I am guessing enhances the high end - seems intriguing to me. This is one of the few 'permutation guitars' that has appealed to me, at least on paper.

I agree Jerry, waiting for one of my local dealers to get one so I can try it out.

My suggestion is that you make your own judgment on the J15 and don't worry about what the rest of us might think. For years people have complained about Gibsons being too expensive. Now they're making some great and more affordable guitars. If you get one and you like it, enjoy it. [thumbup]

Hi all, this is my first post.....from what I understand the Gibson J-29 and J-35 share the same top bracing

but the J-15 has the scalloped standard X bracing I can find that on Gibsons web site

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...-Rosewood.aspx

Gibson J-29

Body

Type J-45 Series

Top Sitka Spruce

Back and Sides Rosewood

Binding Multi-ply Top, Single Ply Back, 3-Ply Single Ring Rosette

Bracing Gibson 1930's Advanced X-Braced Top

Body

Gibson J-35

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...-35/Specs.aspx

Gibson J-15

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...eadnought.aspx

if any of you know the differences please speak up

As far as I can determine the braces are radiused the same - just laid out in a different footprint - either forward or rear shifted.

I am not sure what you mean by radiused there. The feet of the braces, the flat bottom that gets glue applied, is radiused to match the top radius. I believe the radius is the same for all tops they currently make and thus all brace bottoms. Now I am not sure of the extent of this but I suspect, just from personal observation, that there are actually several brace shape styles used at Gibson nowadays, not only one set of shapes moved to different positions. By styles I mean thickness and height of braces, depth of scalloping, tapering which can be simple or compound, etc. Rar, who has similar guitars from the several different Gibson acoustic lines (TV, Legend, etc) could probably shed some light on that, or Hogeye.

Archived