Gibson Brands Forums

FT-120

ourtang89

I am new to this site but I recently traded for a Epiphone FT-120 acoustic. Looks amazing like it is brand new, from the research I have done using the model # and serial # it looks like it was made in or around 1963. Can someone tell me if this is correct. It has a great sound but I need to put a strap on it but at the bottom of the neck there is nowhere to put one, need help with this also, THANKS in advance and love the site.

I am new to this site but I recently traded for a Epiphone FT-120 acoustic. Looks amazing like it is brand new, from the research I have done using the model # and serial # it looks like it was made in or around 1963. Can someone tell me if this is correct. It has a great sound but I need to put a strap on it but at the bottom of the neck there is nowhere to put one, need help with this also, THANKS in advance and love the site.

Should have have a model name on the next line-what is it and what is the serial No.?

Describe pick guard-How about a photo

Regards,

Moose

Welcome. Yes, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a picture of the serial number, even more. Some people aren't comfortable giving the whole number, and if that is you, obscure the last 4 digits. That'll leave enough to place and date it, without giving away too much. Congratulations on owning an Epiphone. It took me years to understand just what a bargain these guitars are. I'm up to 5 (out of a self-imposed limit of 7) and love them. Stick around, you'll learn a lot.

From what I have found out through the help from a member on here we have come to the conculsion that is is a 1963 model FT-120 that by the shape of the guitar it has never been played that much if any. This guitar has NO scratches or wear marks anywhere on it. And I got it through a trade for a airsoft gun from a youg kid. I was gonna start practicing with it but now I think I will find something eles to practice on. GREAT sit with alot of info.

From what I have found out through the help from a member on here we have come to the conculsion that is is a 1963 model FT-120 that by the shape of the guitar it has never been played that much if any.

If this is an Excellente FT-120 from '63, it should have cloud inlays, and a large pointed pickguard with an eagle.

If yours is different, it might be an import from the '70s and worth considerably less.

A good picture or two would pretty quickly confirm what you have.

It is a Texan but it has never been played that is whart is so cool about it. It looks new with NO scratches or dings or anything. I know it is not worth much but it has never been played, that is the cool factor for me. How many 63 models are out there that have never been played.

If you want a value on your 63 Texan I am sure someone here on the Forum can give you a

good idea of what that may be.

Moose

If someone on here can put a value on this guitar it would be bice, it is a 1963 Texan FT-120 that looks brand new, no imperfections at all, fret board has no wear marks either. Looks like someone bought it and just put it up. The boy I got it from said his GrandPa bought it new and when he passed away it was giving to him and he had no intrest in it. If someone can help put a value on it that would be great as I am looking for a guitar that is in great shape that I can pull out a play and not worry about scratches or a ding here and there. 336-452-7698

If someone on here can put a value on this guitar it would be bice, it is a 1963 Texan FT-120.

I'm confused by your posts.

A Texan made in 1963 would be a FT-79, not an FT-120.

Only the Excellente model (which I referenced above) was also known as the FT-120. The Excellente from this period is unmistakeable in it's features. The much more commonly seen FT-120 from the '70s was imported and is a whole different animal. Posting a photo would quickly clear up what you have.

As I had strongly suspected, your guitar most likely is from the '70s.

I finally got around to checking serial numbers, and your seven digit serial number is a tell-tale sign. Most serial numbers in the '70s were seven digits.

Serial numbers in the '60s were six digits (or less), not seven.

If you dropped the last digit, your serial number would line up with 1963, and apparently someone did just that in reading your number incorrectly.

Epiphones from the '70s were Japanese imports, and do not directly compare to the '60s models manufactured in Kalamazoo by Gibson.

Thanks for the info. Would you know the name of this model. And if you know anyone wanting a FT-120 from this era that is never been played I would love to trade it for a Hummingbird Epi. My contact number is 336-452-7698, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

The Norlin era FT's were, from time to time, given names used at an earlier era. I've a FT145 "Texan". It's no closer to a FT-79 "Texan" than a ukulele is to a violin.

The Norlin era FT-120, was at times, also given the name "Caballero". Not to be confused with the 1960's "Caballero" (FT-85 I think).

• 1 month later...

I too have an FT-145 marked "texan"...and I have had several blues with no serial, only the model #. The "Caballero" FT-120's pop up quite often. I've had one marked "Bard" in a 6 and a 12....however, my daily player is an FT-155 marked "Flat-top". This one is the only one of these blue labels I've seen with such a pronounced curl in the back and sides. It's a brilliant piece of wood, and sounds unbelievable when bringing the thunder. I've never since seen one marked "Flat-Top" and wondered if anyone else had seen one?

Since that post I've found another blue marked "flat-top"....this one is a FT-147. Now I'm really curious, is there any order to how they named these old blue labels? Are all FT-145's "texan"s? I love buying these and would like to know more about any that would be considered "rarities". I know the "exellente" would be a handsome find, so what number will it be if I do find one? Any information at all would be helpful.

• 1 month later...

The 147 was either a blingier or less blingier version of the 145.

Some of the 140-ish models were labeled as "Texan", some not. Early on the marketing types decided to make hay with successful names used on similar guitars during Epiphone's Hey day. (pun not intended but it does cause me to chuckle).

The 120's had Caballero

The 570's had Sheraton.

THis link will show the flat tops of the Norlin era.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/FT-Series#FT-550

"Texan" was applied to even some 12 strings and some upscale dreads.

Wow...thanks, that link answered alot of questions for me. I love these particular guitars because they are cheap and still in fairly strong supply. I've bought and sold dozens of them and the really good ones are really pretty good. I have managed to hang on to several and now I'm going to try to find one of each FT-. Not all of them made sense to me the way they were marked......some have no serial number, many have only a model number and no "style" designation. I have one that doesn't say "Kalamazoo, Michigan" under "Epiphone, inc." on the lower right of the label. Still sorting all of this out.....thanks again

• 5 years later...

Serial numbers from the 70s Japanese era are generally considered a mystery due to the lack of record keeping by Epiphone/Gibson (Norlin) during the early Japanese import era of Epiphones.   At least that’s my understanding based on everything I’ve ever read.

I hope that helps, although it didn’t provide any specifics on the #.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...