Gibson Brands Forums

Slack Key on a Masterbilt

Fran Guidry

After my rant about the Esonic2 in my EF-500RCCE it seems only fair to give props to the guitar, here's my apology in the form of a video we shot yesterday. We've passed the signs to the Ho`omaluhia Botanical Garden many times in our visits to the windward side but always put off making the visit. Our local friend Pat La`a finally dragged me into the park and it was a breathtaking experience, so we hooked up with the amazing Ledward Kaapana to shoot some video at the foot of the magnificent Ko`olau range.

I've gathered a collection of Panasonic Lumix G series cameras, these micro 4/3 system cameras have some strong video features and since they're all part of the same system I can mix and match lenses between them. I brought along my Zoom H6 recorder to capture the audio. Here's the result:

http://youtu.be/3k6INzDr0ys

The song is called "Kolomona Slack Key" and was written by Ledward's twin brother, Nedward, as a thank you gift for a gentleman named Solomon Aikau. Kolomona is the transliteration of Solomon in Hawaiian. We're both in taropatch open G tuning.

Fran

After my rant about the Esonic2 in my EF-500RCCE it seems only fair to give props to the guitar, here's my apology in the form of a video we shot yesterday. We've passed the signs to the Ho`omaluhia Botanical Garden many times in our visits to the windward side but always put off making the visit. Our local friend Pat La`a finally dragged me into the park and it was a breathtaking experience, so we hooked up with the amazing Ledward Kaapana to shoot some video at the foot of the magnificent Ko`olau range.

I've gathered a collection of Panasonic Lumix G series cameras, these micro 4/3 system cameras have some strong video features and since they're all part of the same system I can mix and match lenses between them. I brought along my Zoom H6 recorder to capture the audio. Here's the result:

http://youtu.be/3k6INzDr0ys

The song is called "Kolomona Slack Key" and was written by Ledward's twin brother, Nedward, as a thank you gift for a gentleman named Solomon Aikau. Kolomona is the transliteration of Solomon in Hawaiian. We're both in taropatch open G tuning.

Fran

Very nice playing although you should try finger picks or have him not use them either way awesome tune thanks for sharing

Very nice playing although you should try finger picks or have him not use them either way awesome tune thanks for sharing

Glad you enjoyed. I tried and couldn't, he gets sore fingers without them, so I guess we'll keep going the way we do. I could have changed the balance by moving the recorder, but I'm really just backing Ledward up so I try to keep him in front in the mix.

Fantastic playing by the both of you. I'm amazed at players like Ledward who can do it all with their thumb and one finger. [thumbup]

Why thank you. Ledward tried a second fingerpick for a while, but he's been doing thumb and finger so long that he never really got the next finger going. One of his special abilities is the way he uses his thumb, he'll sometimes arpeggiate with his thumb while still banging his bottom note on every other beat - it's nuts! He just put out an autoharp CD and has been featuring it in his shows, he learned from his mom way back in the day, and I think it had a big impact on his style. And you should see what he can do on an `ukulele!

Fran... Great stuff.

I need a hammock and a beer.

Laid back stuff, eh? I always say it's the only style of music where it's a compliment if your audience goes to sleep (grin).

Fran

Here's one from the great backyard party tradition, this time Ledward is playing his Martin DCPA4, I'm still using the RCCE.

His tuning is an old family arrangement, C Mauna Loa with a Kalapana (his growing up town) twist, spelled G C E G A E from low to high. I'm playing in drop C, C G D G B D.

Fran

Glad you enjoyed. I tried and couldn't, he gets sore fingers without them, so I guess we'll keep going the way we do. I could have changed the balance by moving the recorder, but I'm really just backing Ledward up so I try to keep him in front in the mix.

Why thank you. Ledward tried a second fingerpick for a while, but he's been doing thumb and finger so long that he never really got the next finger going. One of his special abilities is the way he uses his thumb, he'll sometimes arpeggiate with his thumb while still banging his bottom note on every other beat - it's nuts! He just put out an autoharp CD and has been featuring it in his shows, he learned from his mom way back in the day, and I think it had a big impact on his style. And you should see what he can do on an `ukulele!

Laid back stuff, eh? I always say it's the only style of music where it's a compliment if your audience goes to sleep (grin).

Fran

no biggie you guys sound great either way I very much enjoyed thanks for sharing that and keep it up. waiting for the next one.

• 3 weeks later...

Back again, this time we shot from a lanai (patio or deck) on the hillside above Lanikai, a suburb of Kailua known for its spectacular beach, tranquil bay, and multi-million dollar mansions.

The song is a traditional piece called "Nanea Ko Maka I Ka Le`ale`a" made famous as an instrumental by Gabby Pahinui and Ray Kane. Ledward and I are using those guys as our inspiration and improvising on their ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQhWAnsqbQ

I'm playing my older EF-500RCCE, made in China, with a slightly narrower and shallower neck. This one could use a fret job but it's still a sweet player.

Fran

Archived