Gibson Brands Forums

Confused over my SG

Mankan

Hi.

I wonder if some one can help me.

I bought a SG 61 Reissue, but when i borrowed my friends 61 a notice some bigg diffrences, his neck i mutch thinner and the body to. can it be so big diffrents between them,

or have the dealer scrued me.

I will be happy if some know

Magnus

post-63705-007450900 1393515881_thumb.jpg

post-63705-031898600 1393515894_thumb.jpg

post-63705-026498700 1393515870_thumb.jpg

Servus Magnus, und willkommen in dieser freundlichen Runde. [thumbup]

OK, I'll try it in English now... :rolleyes:

Hello Magnus, and welcome to this friendly board. [thumbup]

Can't help but say the SG pictured in your post is not just legit but also a very nice one as far as I can see. [thumbup][thumbup] [thumbup]

I am dead on sure that no one has screwed you selling it. However, there always are slight differences from one guitar to another. Let's assume there is just slightly more wood left after the final sanding done by hand, and the finish soakage of the wood is a small one due to very close graining. Clearly the resulting guitar will have more of a smooth surface, less orange peel, and it will be thicker, too. This is is not a shortcoming in general - it all is a matter of taste in the end.

Hope this helps, mate.

Hi.

Thanks for the answer.

I understand what you mean, If i say like this, that my SG have the same Thickness as my LesPaul standard, not the slim neck as it says in the brochure, can it be so big diffrents between same model.

Have a nice day all

Never cared about that before but just read thickness measurements at the lower bout of SGs near the strap knob respectively Lyra cover. Since the bevels differ a bit, I thought this might be a valid point. Here are the results:

S-G Standard made in 1978, high-gloss finish: 33.25 mm or 1.309"

SG Supra made in 2012, high-gloss finish: 34.25 mm or 1.348"

FZ "Roxy" SG #1 made in 2013, satin finish: 33.65 mm or 1.325"

FZ "Roxy" SG #2 made in 2013, satin finish: 34.00 mm or 1.339"

So they are within 1.00 mm or .0394" or circa 3%. Considering finish thickness tolerances, I think this is nice.

Archived