Gibson Brands Forums

Chicago Blue/Manhattan Midnight

larrivee12

I am sure I am not the first to ask this and I did a quick search to try and sift through to the answer.

I want to get a Les Paul Traditional in Chicago Blue. I see for 2014 it is now Manhattan Midnight ( I see both colours have been around awhile)

Question: Are they the same exact colour???? just a marketing twitch? I understand each guitar will be somewhat slightly different due to the wood, although mahogany is pretty consistent but does the colour come from the same " can" ??

Price here in Montreal is about $2200 to $2400.

Thanks

Thanks for info….Yeah Montreal Midnight sounds cool too….or Montreal Jazzfest …seems the Midnight has a slightly more darker tint on outer edge.

Are there any notable changes from 2013 to 2014? I tried a 2013 and liked it but none left in stock.

Thanks

actually I see they added 120 years on the Fret Board…not sure I like that…looks sort of Mickey Mouse

Thanks for info….Yeah Montreal Midnight sounds cool too….or Montreal Jazzfest …seems the Midnight has a slightly more darker tint on outer edge.

Are there any notable changes from 2013 to 2014? I tried a 2013 and liked it but none left in stock.

Thanks

actually I see they added 120 years on the Fret Board…not sure I like that…looks sort of Mickey Mouse

The differences that I know of are, of course the color. Pickups: 2013 has classic 57 and 57 plus, 2014 has the new 59 Tribute pickups. 2014 has like you mentioned, 120th anniversary on the fretboard, and also comes with a brown case w/pink or reddish color interior (California girl replica case?) 2013 has the black case w/white interior.

I just picked up a 2013 Chicago Blue Traditional...It is an awesome guitar and sounds killer through my Vox AC30.

I've been told the difference is, and you can see from the two side by side (over & under) examples in this thread already, is that the Manhattan Midnight Blue color scheme fades from light to dark from neck to bridge across the top.

From light highlights and brightness to nearly a midnight black along the baseline/bottom of the top if you're looking at the axe from head on as if it's sitting in a stand or hanging in a wall hanger.

Here's another example of Manhattan Midnight Blue that illustrates that:

giblpstandle_zps941d2240.jpg

I have one that I think is Manhattan Midnight Blue in a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition w/Ebony fretboard... 1 of 275 of each color made in the LE...

In that particular model there is also "Pacific Reef" that is just as hard to tell apart from the previous two colors mentioned...

Here's an example of Pacific Reef:

$_57.JPG

The 14's have cryogenic treated frets... supposed to make them last longer.

Don't be afraid of the 59 pups. They are simply awesome. I was apprehensive of the 59s, but can say my 2014 Traditional is the best sounding Lester I have played.

The 14's have cryogenic treated frets... supposed to make them last longer.

Don't be afraid of the 59 pups. They are simply awesome. I was apprehensive of the 59s, but can say my 2014 Traditional is the best sounding Lester I have played.

+1 for my 2014 Ocean Blue Traditional. I couldn't resist posting a pic. It's a much lighter blue and really allows you to see the grain of the top better than Chicago Blue or Manhattan Midnight.

12140543665_11832ccdcd_b.jpg

In Canada Gibson routes everything through one distributor in Ontario, then in Montreal there is one distributor….Point being limited selection of what is available. More to the point. I am in a toss up between a 2013 Chicago Blue LP Traditional and a 2014 LP Manhattan Midnight. Obvious answer…"try them both and decide"….good answer except not in stock. There is a 2013 LP CB I can try from another store they can get for me…it is only $1600…so whats the catch?…it was a Floor guitar….a demo …in my mind, 2nd hand guitar now because it has been hanging in a store for up to a year with hundreds if not thousands of people trying it. So not thrilled buying the "on the Floor" guitar.

Other option is order a 2014 MM LP and pay the full price but get a new guitar.

I watched the Gibson videos on 2014 changes…sound good but in the end wish I could try it. My only real negative comment is the 120th on the Fret Board.

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

Having a thing for the color blue, (especially on guitars [biggrin] ) I also kept an eye out for both colors.

I do believe that Chicago is slightly duller (pauloon's second pic) and manhattan is slightly brighter (first pic) that is, in terms of vibrancy, not meaning a lighter shade.

Personally I much prefer the manhattan as I want a bright blue [lol]

Cheers [thumbup] and eagerly waiting for pics of the trad

I just brought home my new 2014 MM studio and I do think it is the best colour blue I have ever owned in a Gibson. Love the guitar too. Traded in my Sig T for it which I just could not bond with. I did take the black switch tip off the guitar and put on an amber one which matches the rest of the plastic.

Here is a pic of it.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

I've owned Manhattan blue and have seen many Chicago blues.Unlike in photos, in person the Chicago blues are much darker, however not every guitar is the same shade for either color. The Manhattan midnight for the most part are much lighter, BUT Some of the darker shaded Manhattan midnights are very similar to the lighter shaded Chicago blues. I feel all Manhattan midnights are beautiful some lighter or darker than others, but each a strong color. The Chicago blues are nice, but if you are ordering online and dont know what shade it is, the darker Chicago blues aren't very attractive. Also the Manhattan midnight has more of a burst to it, whereas Chicago blues have no burst really. It's personal preference, but the Manhattan midnight def stands out more.

I just brought home my new 2014 MM studio and I do think it is the best colour blue I have ever owned in a Gibson. Love the guitar too. Traded in my Sig T for it which I just could not bond with. I did take the black switch tip off the guitar and put on an amber one which matches the rest of the plastic.

Here is a pic of it.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

Beautiful guitar but "2014 MM studio"? do you mean LP Studio?

• 1 year later...

I've been told the difference is, and you can see from the two side by side (over & under) examples in this thread already, is that the Manhattan Midnight Blue color scheme fades from light to dark from neck to bridge across the top.

Sorry but that's not what Manhattan Midnight normally is. The 'fade' from neck to bridge was only done on the 2004 Limited Edition Standard. That's not how Manhattan Midnight looks on any other year/model (it's more like a rim burst where the rim is black). Chicago blue is more uniform than manhattan midnight, and overall, darker.

Sorry but that's not what Manhattan Midnight normally is. The 'fade' from neck to bridge was only done on the 2004 Limited Edition Standard. That's not how Manhattan Midnight looks on any other year/model (it's more like a rim burst where the rim is black). Chicago blue is more uniform than manhattan midnight, and overall, darker.

this thread is nearly 2 years old....

Archived