Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Faded BASS 2011

nlabat

Look here for info on that model, they made it up until 2013.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard-Bass-Faded.aspx

are this specs also for 2011 model??

and Im wondering why in the Specs it said SG Bass Pickups and in the Features it said TB and TB mini Pickups....???

are Thunderbird pickups or not ???

and Im wondering why in the Specs it said SG Bass Pickups and in the Features it said TB and TB mini Pickups....???

Nobody can help with this questions ???

Nobody can help with this questions ???

In the following video the pickups are described as T-bird mini and T-bird plus. They appear to be different sized then T-bird pups, makes me wonder if the windings and magnets used are what makes them the same as a T-bird. Good question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5zk3i-tUYk

For sure the SG bass pickups are no Thunderbird pickups in any way and never were. There might have been some chaos while writing the advertising. The Thunderbird pickups are rather different in style and sizes.

The SG Bass neck pickup is obviously a newly developed under an old cover which originally belonged to the heavy "Sidewinder" EB-3 neck and EB-0 single pickup. These were of absolutely unique make, had about 70 Henry inductance and provided a rather muffled tone. The contemporary ones have properties more common for magnetic pickups. They are featuring coils with rails and adjustable pole pieces in between.

The SG Bass bridge pickup is a close remake of the Mini Humbucker-style EB-3 bridge pickup, or at least it sounds like this.

Here is the SG Standard Bass Faded of mine accidentally also made in 2011 pictured along with my 2012 SG Standard Bass, both with Speed Knobs which I prefer:

SG_basses_zpsd6cec503.jpg

The following picture shows my EB 2013 basses retrofitted with EMG TB-HZ pickups, three additional pickguard screws each to withstand pot pull operations and unplugging the cable - and Speed Knobs, of course. I replaced the stock pickups because of their bad string pull causing evil beats and therefore a nasty overall tone. Since the sizes are exactly those of the Thunderbird pickups, the passive EMG Thunderbird replacements were a nice drop-in. The very different make and sizes compared to SG Bass pickups should be obvious here:

EB_basses_zps143786db.jpg

For sure the SG bass pickups are no Thunderbird pickups in any way and never were. There might have been some chaos while writing the advertising. The Thunderbird pickups are rather different in style and sizes.

The SG Bass neck pickup is obviously a newly developed under an old cover which originally belonged to the heavy "Sidewinder" EB-3 neck and EB-0 single pickup. These were of absolutely unique make, had about 70 Henry inductance and provided a rather muffled tone. The contemporary ones have properties more common for magnetic pickups. They are featuring coils with rails and adjustable pole pieces in between.

The SG Bass bridge pickup is a close remake of the Mini Humbucker-style EB-3 bridge pickup, or at least it sounds like this.

Here is the SG Standard Bass Faded of mine accidentally also made in 2011 pictured along with my 2012 SG Standard Bass, both with Speed Knobs which I prefer:

SG_basses_zpsd6cec503.jpg

The following picture shows my EB 2013 basses retrofitted with EMG TB-HZ pickups, three additional pickguard screws each to withstand pot pull operations and unplugging the cable - and Speed Knobs, of course. I replaced the stock pickups because of their bad string pull causing evil beats and therefore a nasty overall tone. Since the sizes are exactly those of the Thunderbird pickups, the passive EMG Thunderbird replacements were a nice drop-in. The very different make and sizes compared to SG Bass pickups should be obvious here:

EB_basses_zps143786db.jpg

So after this the Advertising is not correctly handle ...

the SG faded 2011 does not have nor T-Bird plus nor Mini Tbird.

Im in the right path ( sad) one ???

So after this the Advertising is not correctly handle ...

the SG faded 2011 does not have nor T-Bird plus nor Mini Tbird.

Im in the right path ( sad) one ???

The description is at least misleading. I never saw a Thunderbird pickup upside down, let alone dissected in person, but to my knowledge it is a dual rail humbucker pickup with three ceramic bar magnets.

The SG Bass pickups are of different make. The neck pickup could be some kind of a modded replica of the real TB pickup since it is a dual rail humbucker, too. Can't say for sure if it has one or three bar magnets. There is a massive aluminum block between the coils spacing the coils apart. The four pole screws have very little effect when adjusted. I guess they are there mainly to achieve the look of the old "sidewinder" EB-0 pickup when covered. Pickup baseplate and cover are fairly oversized, also just for looks I guess, and the cover is microphonic. I sticked two felt stripes onto the aluminum block alongside the screws for muting the cover.

Since the SG Bass bridge pickup is made in the image of the mini humbuckers, being a humbucker is its closest affinity to the real TB pickups I believe.

Probably somebody just wanted to name the SG Bass pickups without thinking about it any further.

By the way, the 2011 worn model came with a rosewood fretboard while that of the glossy 2012 is made of baked maple.

In the Specs section description of the pups, I think the operative words is "Vintage Style" TB Humbuckers. The early 60's TB's had the two Mudbuckers that my EB-0 has one of at the neck, didn't it? Anyway you look at it, it's got to be deep, loud and full of that Gibson sound. Enjoy it.

John

In the Specs section description of the pups, I think the operative words is "Vintage Style" TB Humbuckers. The early 60's TB's had the two Mudbuckers that my EB-0 has one of at the neck, didn't it? Anyway you look at it, it's got to be deep, loud and full of that Gibson sound. Enjoy it.

John

Indeed the words "Vintage Style" could be the key, but "Style" would apply to looks only. There is nothing like the vintage Mudbucker under the cover.

However, you are spot on with the description of tone you gave. They are great basses, nicely translating roundwound and flatwound tones as well.

Description of the Gibson SG Standard Bass Faded 2011.

During the height of Gibson’s original “Golden Era,” the company’s only bass guitar at the time — the EB0 — underwent the same radical transformation as the Les Pauls, which were being redesigned as the now classic SG. It was a bold move and it paid off, bringing Gibson basses to the forefront. Today’s Gibson SG Standard Bass recreates the classic, dual-pickup version, staying true to the design and specs of the original, including the popular 30.5-inch scale length.

Features of the Gibson SG Standard Bass Faded

• The Gibson Logo
  • Angled Headstock
  • Adjustable Truss Rod
  • ’60s Rounded Bass Neck Profile
  • Nickel and Silver Alloy Fret Wire
  • Dot Inlays
  • Set-Neck Construction
  • Solid Mahogany Body
  • Vintage-Style TB and TB Mini Humbuckers
  • Three-Way Adjustable Bridge
  • Nitrocellulose Finish
  • <h2>Extended Description of the Gibson SG Standard Bass Faded

Three-Way Adjustable Bridge
    Gibson’s innovative three-way adjustable bridge is the standard for simplicity and functionality. It provides players with the ability to adjust and fine-tune the height of the SG Standard Bass’ strings in all directions — front, back, and side-to-side — which gives the bridge a “floating” feature, thus allowing the bass to be equipped with a variety of string gauges and multiple set-up options. The SG Reissue’s legendary resonance, tone, and sustain is the result of anchoring the bridge directly into the body at its three adjustable points, which provides a firm seating for the strings and yields a strong union between the strings and body. Readily accessible screws make setting the intonation simple. To this day, Gibson’s three-way adjustable bridge remains an industry standard. It is the epitome of form and function in bass guitar bridge design.

Set-Neck Construction
    Like all classic Gibson guitars, the necks on the Gibson Bass SG Standards are distinguished by one of the more traditional features that have always set them apart — a glued neck joint. Gluing the neck to the body of the guitar insures a “wood-to-wood” contact, no air space in the neck cavity, and maximum contact between the neck and body, allowing the neck and body to function as a single unit. The result? Better tone, better sustain, and no loose or misaligned necks.

Vintage-Style TB and TB Mini Humbuckers
    The pickups on the early Gibson basses of the 1960s remained unchanged for many years, undergoing only minor cosmetic modifications from time to time, but staying true to the originals’ sonic characteristics. The pickups in today’s SG Standard Bass — the vintage-style TB Plus humbucker and TB mini humbucker — are wax-potted and capture and recreate the classic attributes of those early Gibson basses. The TB plus humbucker in the neck is a traditional hum-cancelling bass pickup with a full frequency, heavy-bottom sound, similar to pickups with a passive EQ. The EB mini humbucker in the bridge is traditionally smaller but packs a sweet punch with exceptional mid-range presence. This combination makes the Gibson SG Standard Bass a versatile instrument with a wide range of tonal possibilities.

20-Fret Rosewood Fingerboard
    Rosewood has always graced the fingerboards of the world’s finest stringed instruments, including many of today’s Gibsons. The fingerboard on the Gibson SG Standard Bass is constructed from the highest grade rosewood on the planet. The rosewood is personally inspected and qualified by Gibson’s team of skilled wood experts before it enters the factories to be fitted onto the neck of the Gibson Standard SG Bass. The resilience of this dense and durable wood makes these fingerboards extremely balanced and stable, and gives each note unparalleled clarity and bite.

Specifications of the Gibson SG Standard Bass Faded

</h2>BodyBody Style SGBody Species MahoganyHardwarePlating Finish ChromeTailpiece Three Point Adjustable Bass BridgeTuners Shamrock BassElectronicsNeck Pickup SG BassBridge Pickup SG BassPickup Covers YesControls 2 Volume - 2 Tone - 3-Way ToggleControl Knobs Black Tophats with Silver InsertsControl Pocket Cover Black MoldedPickguard SG bass pickguardNeckSpecies MahoganyNut CorianNut Width 1.600" +/- .050"Headstock Silkscreen Gibson LogoTruss Rod Gibson Adjustable Truss RodTruss Rod Cover Bell-shaped cover, stamped "SG"FingerboardFingerboard Species RosewoodInlays Acrylic DotNumber of Frets 20Scale Length 30.5"CaseType Gibson HardshellInterior WhiteCase Exterior BlackSilkscreen Gibson USA LogoFinshesWorn Cherry

Worn Ebony

There must be a difference between TB, TB Plus, and TB Vintage pickups. I've owned 4 Gibson basses with TB Plus pups: two Les Paul Standards, a Double Cut, and an SG. Every one of these basses hummed & buzzed in about 1/2 of the rooms I play regularly (sounded like a Sar Wars light-saber fight!). I always brought my Fender P as a back-up. It's too bad that I had to pull those pups out because I loved the sound of them! It took quite a bit of experimentation to find replacements that sounded as good, but Alumitone guitar humbuckers did the trick. I've never heard of this being a problem with Thunderbirds, but several people had the hum problem with Les Paul and other TB Plus basses on the old "dudepit" forum. To my knowledge, no one has complained about it here, except me. msp_confused.gif Maybe they've changed the design of the TB Vintage pups.

BTW: I have a drawer full of those TB Plus pups, if anyone needs some...

Archived