Gibson Brands Forums

finally found right strings for j35

emmonsh

thomasstik spectrum sb112. most amazing strings I have ever played. sounds great[really amazing] smooth and even thou they are a step up in thickness they play easier than the custom light elixers I usually play. what a sound. really only about 2 more than what I pay for elixers on ebay.

TOLD YA!!! The TIs take my J-35 to a whole different level. I get them for about $20 including shipping from Bernunzio Uptown Music. They're out of stock at the moment.

No, they are not coated.

DC

TOLD YA!!! The TIs take my J-35 to a whole different level. I get them for about $20 including shipping from Bernunzio Uptown Music. They're out of stock at the moment.

No, they are not coated.

DC

Next level up is their plectrum.

Next level up is their plectrum.

Hey Bill,

Are you saying you've tried both on a J-35 and the Plectrums are better?

The reason I haven't tried Plectrums is I play in DADGAD and the lights are way too light; and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings of the med-lights are just a bit too light for me. The balance of the Spectrum SB112 is perfect for my needs.

DC

How long do they last you for those use use the Thomastiks ?

I agree that there is a real quality to this string both in tone and feel, and I can get them for $10 being Austrian made.

But evertime Ive tried them they went dead on me after 1-2 weeks of playing time, in particular the bottom E and A started to sound like spaghetti very soon.

How long do they last you for those use use the Thomastiks ?

I agree that there is a real quality to this string both in tone and feel, and I can get them for $10 being Austrian made.

But evertime Ive tried them they went dead on me after 1-2 weeks of playing time, in particular the bottom E and A started to sound like spaghetti very soon.

I think I've read you mention this experience before, EA. I used them exclusively on a 50's J45, and the only thing I can recall of note is that they were 'quiet' strings right out of the pack. I didn't notice degradation over six months, when I would change just because I arbitrarily used that time period to swap out. You might demand more volume in anything other than unmiked solo playing, so I get why you're panning them. Unless you got a dud pack or batch.

I don't own a dread these days and I was looking for a little more 'jangle' in my little Gibsons for flat picking, which is nearly 100% of my playing. I tried DR Hi-Beams. My L0 seemed to take the life out of them out in a very short time, so I'll go back to the Dunlop 80-20's there. However, they have found a permanent home with the L00, sounding great in their third month. Across different guitars and playing styles ( I'm a quieter picker, no heavy windmilling ) I guess the inconsistencies rear their head.

Your cautioning would keep me away from trying them, at that high price, if I was shopping strings and hadn't tried many brands. I'd like to give the JPearse 960L nickel a go, but 12-54's are their lightest string. I'm always tuned down a half, but even at that I'm a little worried about stressing out the lightweight 30's era build of my remaining flat tops.

Hmmm... the Spectrums produce plenty of volume on my J-35, as much as the EJ16s on it now. It certainly held its own with TIs at an Irish session with 15 players/various instruments. I wouldn't consider them quiet strings at all. Now, the Martin Tony Rice MTR13 monels are quiet strings.

BTW, as with any string, the Spectrums aren't the 'answer' for every guitar, just as I'm sure Plectrums aren't either. The Spectrums weren't particularly good on my Guild F-130R or Martin OM-16, but they sure work well with the J-35.

DC

Hmmm... the Spectrums produce plenty of volume on my J-35, as much as the EJ16s on it now. It certainly held its own with TIs at an Irish session with 15 players/various instruments. I wouldn't consider them quiet strings at all. Now, the Martin Tony Rice MTR13 monels are quiet strings.

BTW, as with any string, the Spectrums aren't the 'answer' for every guitar, just as I'm sure Plectrums aren't either. The Spectrums weren't particularly good on my Guild F-130R or Martin OM-16, but they sure work well with the J-35.

DC

Interesting. They were quiet strings, but with only using them on one old J-45, I can't claim to have tested them. You're certainly right regarding different strings/different guitars comment.

Archived