Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intro and request Guitar repair

#1 User is offline   Kid1129 

• Group: Members
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Greeting fellow musicians. I've got a Gibson 355 TDC whose in dire need of a new pick guard. Time has caused it to crumble. If nothing else, any suggestion on replacements. I still use it and don't want to damage the body.

#2 User is offline   BernatDelpech 

• LocationNorth Bay, ON

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Welcome, I like the look of the 355. I dont know much about their specific parts, but usually can be found on ebay, thru gibson or by asking at a local music shop. They usually have a Technician who could offer help.

#3 User is offline   L5Larry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have bought replacement guards through AllParts (http://www.allparts...._c_587-2-3.html), and found them to be a high quality.

Now, the problem is..... the pickup positions can vary slightly, especially on older guitars. Whatever you buy may have to be custom fit, or at least "adjusted" to your specific guitar, for the pickup cutouts and mounting screw holes.

In other words, I would not expect ANY replacement part to simply be a "bolt-on" replacement.

#4 User is online   Jedediah 

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

Hello Kid1129, Guards for that guitar are available in many retail shops. However, if they are sold out and you have a few days to wait for a hand made one, dig this. I have a sheet of five ply black, white, black, white, black pick guard laminate. If this will match any other parts such as the truss rod cover let me know. I can make one. It will be best if you trace it and send an image of the tracing. I will also need to know how much bevel to put around the edges so a close-up pic will help. I am getting ready to make one for a guitar that I have been repairing. I plan to start on this guard during spring break. Yes, my second college career. Retired and wanting to do something else. If you want to go this route send an electron to fmjball@msn.com with "355 pick guard" in the subject line. Jedediah

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users