Gibson Brands Forums

1946 SJ (non banner)

ChrisM

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-1946-Gibson-Southern-Jumbo-SJ-W0QQAdIdZ571187997

So what do we think of this one? 1946 apparently, no banner logo but it has the Gibson script logo and not the later block logo.

Looks pretty cool, if I was (a lot) closer I'd try it. Price doesn't seem terrible either. The back crack is an easy fix.

I like it, but would have to hold, play and inspect it before considering that kind of money.....Just me! I have seem some offered for more money. I say 'check it out'. Get some upfront honesty and info from the seller and see what you could workout..[cool]

guys here have forgotten more than i'll ever know but to me, the top looks decent, needs frets like you read about, almost certainly a replacement bridge so I'd like to see the inside under the bridge and check the plate, someone here will know whether the tuners are correct--I thought they would be closed back.

sure there's stuff I missed since I scanned once through the photos. would love to hear what she sounds like.....

Sorry but it is impossible to tell much of anything from this one photo other than no immediate red flags jump out.

The tuners, if original, would be individual open gear not closed gear tuners.

The price though is good assuming everything checks out.

If you are not even sure what tuners would be on the guitar, then I would recommend you bringing somebody along who knows what to look for or ask to have it checked out.

Thanks for sharing with us, Chris-

Absolutely a temptation for most ... I'd like to see the contrast in replies were you to throw this one over to the sharks at the UMGF Vintage Corner. But you may only hear crickets there as they were trying to find a way to get to Nova Scotia! Curious how one can have a '46 SJ and "not have internet"(?). Poster of ad seems to have fairly good knowledge, though. I seem to recall a similar great deal such as this one being offered in Nova Scotia about a year ago. Bridge is fine. Tuners, fine. Unbound neck, fine. Even with the prospect of repairs, this would be a great price if all was on the up & up.

Sorry but it is impossible to tell much of anything from this one photo other than no immediate red flags jump out.

Zomby--check the link here for the additional photos: http://s776.photobucket.com/user/KingLoudness/library/1946%20Gibson%20SJ%20Southern%20Jumbo

It was me who was questioning the tuners--I thought they would have been closed back but admittedly know next to nothing about SJ specific components as mine is a new one ;)

Much better.

The open gear rivet tuners are spot on for a 1946-1947 SJ. Enclosed tuners do not show up until the late 1940s.

Rosette, top binding, bridge, number of frets, and all look as they should.

The price is nice and I agree with an above post that it is good enough that I would not sweat having to have a few things done to the guitar.

Funny, I've been searching for a 1946 J-45 and then this pops up.

Even more coincidentally, the owner of this guitar has it at a shop 1 block from my house.

I'm heading over there tomorrow morning to check it out and I'll report back!

T.

Funny, I've been searching for a 1946 J-45 and then this pops up.

Even more coincidentally, the owner of this guitar has it at a shop 1 block from my house.

I'm heading over there tomorrow morning to check it out and I'll report back!

T.

Funny how things work sometimes, when you're not expecting it, Travis! I thought of you when this was posted.

When I was in Halifax last summer, I stopped in at a vintage shop just downhill of the Citadel -- he had a J-35 (at a pretty poofy price). First one I'd ever played. I didn't think it was all that great sounding, but "whatever".

You'll have to allow for the fingerboard divots and that nasty back crack.

Let us know how it goes!

Fred

Funny how things work sometimes, when you're not expecting it, Travis! I thought of you when this was posted.

When I was in Halifax last summer, I stopped in at a vintage shop just downhill of the Citadel -- he had a J-35 (at a pretty poofy price). First one I'd ever played. I didn't think it was all that great sounding, but "whatever".

You'll have to allow for the fingerboard divots and that nasty back crack.

Let us know how it goes!

Fred

Thanks for thinking of me Fred! I know the shop you're speaking of, and I'm familiar with the guitar as well (hung behind the counter). Last I checked the poofy price was because the owner never had any intention of ever selling it. I agree though, it was just "okay".

As for the repairs, does anyone want to chime in as to what it would cost to repair this bad boy? Here's what I'm thinking it will need for a full restore:

- Back crack repaired

- Refretted

- Potentially a new bridge

- Potentially some new tuners

Thanks!

Travis

Thanks for thinking of me Fred! I know the shop you're speaking of, and I'm familiar with the guitar as well (hung behind the counter). Last I checked the poofy price was because the owner never had any intention of ever selling it. I agree though, it was just "okay".

As for the repairs, does anyone want to chime in as to what it would cost to repair this bad boy? Here's what I'm thinking it will need for a full restore:

- Back crack repaired

- Refretted

Thanks!

Travis

Might need a neck reset. Check the bridge plate! That's always something I like to check now on vintage guitars. Who knows it might need a brace or two reglued as well.

Use all these "potentially" repairs as a bargaining chip when discussing the price if you are interested in buying.

- Back crack repaired

- Refretted

Thanks!

Travis

Maybe a re-fret and a board plane, and I'm not sure what's going on around the nut. Just need new buttons on the tuners: they are the right ones. Bridge looks like a replacement, but I've seen worse. The back crack is a bit ugly, as is the horrible cleat over it on the inside. Looks like some old top wear has had some finish rubbed into it, which is not a bad idea with exposed wood. New bridge (assuming good bridgeplate), re-fret, board plane, back repair, and buttons, Maybe $800. Add another $400 or so if it needs a neck re-set, and maybe $150 or so if it needs a new bridgeplate.

It's a really nice-looking guitar.

My apologies to Travis-

The temptation I experienced when Chris first shared the link to this guitar was too much for me. I've been working with the seller most of this week; asking for photos of the interior, any known history, asking for measurements of at the nut to make sure it was not a 1 11/16 in. , as would be more likely a '47. Also nerve-racking: the shipping (and funding) across an international border, if the guitar could get held up, and if so, for how long. It was a stressful thing, very challenging should there be a problem. I got the impression that the seller is a decent guy from numerous communications I've had with him and all who've helped these last few days.

Very difficult to evaluate what's going on at the fretboard. Enough photos provided and studied closely. Ultimately, I'm just taking him at his word that most of what's seen there is glue residue from a rough re-fret. The rest of the 'board's appearance would be/could be wear. Possibly some kind of fretboard leveling. I was told, and I believe the seller; that the guitar is nice, intonates well, and is quite playable as it is, and that any additional repairs could be done at one's own convenience. Fine. That's good enough for me, for now.

Here is one of the bridge plate photos the seller sent of the '46; a little worn, showing washers installed when bridge was reset, but showing nice saw marking on the plate:

betterlitintbpbigwasher_zpsf0894324.jpg

No need for apologies; I had the opportunity to inspect the guitar, as well as play it and it's all yours!

To be honest, I didn't think very highly of the guitar. I had the opportunity to borrow Tom Barnwell's (tpbii) 1942 Southern Jumbo for a couple of months, and this 1946 SJ wasn't even in the same category. I fear it may have something to do with the back crack that's leading to the guitars "tin" sound, rather than the loud dry sound of Tom's SJ, and other banners I've played.

In addition to the above, the seller didn't disclose that there is in fact two back cracks. One down the center seam of the back, and one less noticeable on the backs lower rear bout. The guitar's neck, although fine, doesn't seem as large as others I've played. Also, there are questionable repairs that have already been done, as well as smaller issues such as the nut lifting and inability to keep intonation (I played it for 10 minutes and had to tune it twice), as well as the pickguard lifting, etc.

All in all, it was a strange coincidence to have a 1946 script-logo Gibson a block away from my house, but a relief to know that not all these vintage guitars are fantastic and Gibson is putting out modern guitars that can surpass some of them. In the meantime, I'll continue on my journey to procure a custom shop modern J-50 from Gibson. Unless of course Tom is willing to part with his '42 SJ, haha.

Cheers,

Travis

Thanks for the report Travis. Funny that the guitar was so close to you.

Indeed not everything old is a gem like we think. That said with the right repairs and effort put in I'm sure this guitar could play and sound much better.

Yes, Travis, thanks for your report. Seriously. Of course, I'd love to have heard that report a few days ago : 0 ! !

Someone here (milo?) recently said they had a policy of not buying any guitar over $1000 without first having it in one's hands. Good advice.

Well, "you pays your money... "

Archived