Gibson Brands Forums

new ES335 vs 63 Block Reissue

jejelfass

Hi!

I am looking to buy an ES335 with a budget of under 3k and I am hesotating between a brand new 2014 es335 or a used 63 Reissue. What do you think I should do? Also, how much is worth an original Gibson case. And one last question: how do you recognize the serial number of a 63 Block reissue vs a 50th anniversary 63 reissue.

Thanks a lot!

Hi!

I am looking to buy an ES335 with a budget of under 3k and I am hesotating between a brand new 2014 es335 or a used 63 Reissue. What do you think I should do? Also, how much is worth an original Gibson case. And one last question: how do you recognize the serial number of a 63 Block reissue vs a 50th anniversary 63 reissue.

Thanks a lot!

I'd definitely go used, as long as you realize that buying from an authorized Gibson dealer can save you a lot of money compared to the MAP you see online. You should be able to get ~40% off MSRP (not MAP) through a local store if you buy new. Still, you can save even more buying used. Guitar Center has a website for their used gear and you can find some good deals there, or at least get a price check so you know what you should be paying. You can get a Gibson ES-335 case for ~$150 new from one of the big retailers.

The reissue serial numbers are confusing. I'd look for threads with that info, either here or at one of the Les Paul forums where they've been discussed quite a bit.

I'd definitely go used, as long as you realize that buying from an authorized Gibson dealer can save you a lot of money compared to the MAP you see online. You should be able to get ~40% off MSRP (not MAP) through a local store if you buy new. Still, you can save even more buying used. Guitar Center has a website for their used gear and you can find some good deals there, or at least get a price check so you know what you should be paying. You can get a Gibson ES-335 case for ~$150 new from one of the big retailers.

The reissue serial numbers are confusing. I'd look for threads with that info, either here or at one of the Les Paul forums where they've been discussed quite a bit.

Thank you. And do you have an advice regarding 50th anniversary 63 reissue vs a block reissue?

I went through the struggles of the Memphis 50th Anniversary ES335 vs. the Nashville '63 Block Reissue a few months ago. My dealer -- who I have known and trusted for many years -- recommended the Memphis version, mainly because it is a lot less expensive. That's what I bought, and I have been VERY happy with it!

• 4 months later...

Have you bought your guitar? Curious which one you went with.

I've owned a dot reissue and a 50th anniv 1960. The dot reissue happened to sound better and the 50th anniv looked better. I think with 335s it really depends on the specific guitars in question. I've played some dot reissues which didn't sound good to me at all and the same for the 50th anniv ones, but I've also played excellent versions of both. Assuming you found two that both sounded good (to you), it just depends on how important the visual aesthetic differences are to you and what they're worth. I way prefer the vintage specs and looks of the 50th anniv guitars (the thinner, yellowed binding, the knobs and the tuners) and am willing to pay more for them, but that's entirely subjective.

Archived