Gibson Brands Forums

2007 Les Paul vs Epiphone Classic Custom Antique

muddymansfield44

Back in 2007, when the Classic Custom Antique model Les Pauls came out, I saw a couple of the Epiphone versions around town and they had the split diamond inlay on the headstock and the fretboard inlays were amber tinted to match the aged binding. I had seen some authentic, naturally (probably cigarette smoke) aged 57s at a vintage guitar shop before and the patina was very close to the look of the new model. At the time I saw the Epiphone versions, there never seemed to be any of the real Gibsons around and I assumed they were appointed exactly the same. But over the years, every photo I see of the Gibson version, shows the fretboard inlays to be white and the headstock inlay is different. Anyone know if the Gibson versions were ever produced with the amber fretboard inlays or the split diamond logo on the headstock? IMO the Epiphones look better than the actual Gibson! I checked the Epiphone out once, though, and wasn't impressed. It just felt like a piece of hastily assembled junk. It looked really cool, though.

Back in 2007, when the Classic Custom Antique model Les Pauls came out, I saw a couple of the Epiphone versions around town and they had the split diamond inlay on the headstock and the fretboard inlays were amber tinted to match the aged binding. I had seen some authentic, naturally (probably cigarette smoke) aged 57s at a vintage guitar shop before and the patina was very close to the look of the new model. At the time I saw the Epiphone versions, there never seemed to be any of the real Gibsons around and I assumed they were appointed exactly the same. But over the years, every photo I see of the Gibson version, shows the fretboard inlays to be white and the headstock inlay is different. Anyone know if the Gibson versions were ever produced with the amber fretboard inlays or the split diamond logo on the headstock? IMO the Epiphones look better than the actual Gibson! I checked the Epiphone out once, though, and wasn't impressed. It just felt like a piece of hastily assembled junk. It looked really cool, though.

I have found that the electronics do not have the GIBSON SOUND that you are looking for.. Epiphone has indeed done well at the actual Finish and build but the Gibson is hands down the sound.. as for BLING it's not the bling it's the voice..

I did buy an Epiphone Sheratone II and could not be happier with the build finish and sound.. ..*)o(* I also have to say if you are going to purchase via net go to a dealer that has net and have the dealer hands on the guitar with you on the phone there are several at lease 2-1 FAKES and poor quality build Gibsons out there and the net is how to rid oneself of these.. People just amaze me that they would do this to another person but I hear it all the time BACK to GIbson the QC on Gibson is not as good as it once was.. 2014 night be a year when they get back into being proud of the product but for several years it has been indeed hit or miss as far as fit & finish IF I was in the market for any of the numerous LES PAUL versions GIBSON hands down and let EPI go *)o(*

I have found that the electronics do not have the GIBSON SOUND that you are looking for.. Epiphone has indeed done well at the actual Finish and build but the Gibson is hands down the sound.. as for BLING it's not the bling it's the voice..

The simple solution is to put Gibson pickups in the Epiphone! I bought an Epiphone ES339 and dropped a BurstBucker 2 in the neck and a BB3 in the bridge. $400 for the guitar and $260 for the pickups. $660 for a guitar that IMO looks, plays and sounds just as good as the $2600 Gibson 339.

The simple solution is to put Gibson pickups in the Epiphone! I bought an Epiphone ES339 and dropped a BurstBucker 2 in the neck and a BB3 in the bridge. $400 for the guitar and $260 for the pickups. $660 for a guitar that IMO looks, plays and sounds just as good as the $2600 Gibson 339.

I appreciate the advice I had my tech put in a pair of vintage (had hand wound to match 67 humbuckings off a ES 335) Now am thrilled with the guitar *)o(* AS you stated For what I have invested it is a much better playing and sounding guitar and the cost difference was an amazing savings

Hi BR,

Here are some photo's of my Les Paul Classic Antique. It's an absolutely fabulous guitar, I've only ever played one Les Paul that I thought was as good or better, and that was a £5500 ($9000) Kossoff VOS model.

P1010321.jpg

P1010323.jpg

P1010324.jpg

Ian

Here are pictures of REAL 1953 and 1954 LP Customs. These are GENUINE 61 and 60 year old guitars.

The fretboard inlays are white. They are always white. They do not 'Age' in quite the same way the other parts do.

'53

53Custom_zpscffa077e.jpg

'54

1954Customlo-res_zps7261a17d.jpg

The Epi inlays are Fictitious.

You may prefer the look of yellow-green-amber fretboard inlays. That's up to you.

But that's not how real LPC's age.

[smile]

P.

Here are pictures of REAL 1953 and 1954 LP Customs. These are GENUINE 61 and 60 year old guitars.

The fretboard inlays are white. They are always white. They do not 'Age' in quite the same way the other parts do.

You may prefer the look of yellow-green-amber fretboard inlays. That's up to you.

[smile]

P.

I think most people would rather save two THOUSAND dollars and not care if their inlays are not pure white....

I think most people would rather save two THOUSAND dollars and not care if their inlays are not pure white....

...and I'm sure that most people are philistines.

Where does that get us?

[smile]

P.

FWIW, I have a 2011 Chinese made Epiphone Dot that has a pair of Gibson 490's in it. Incredible guitar.

The Epiphones I have now are great playing guitars, and I think of their electronics as different sounding rather than inferior to Gibsons. I have 4 Epiphone electric guitars, none of which is a "copy" of a Gibson. The recent production Epiphones from China and Indonesia are very high quality and will run with the big dogs any time.

FWIW, I have a LOT of Gibsons, too, including 7 Les Pauls of various models. Most of them stay in the case while the Epiphones get played.

O.K. Let's go off at a tangent again.

FWIW I agree.

For a couple of years my 'go-to' was an Epi LP - bone-stock - and it was a great playing and sounding guitar. I still kept it even after I had found my present #1 LP.

It only got sold-off when a close friend mentioned they wanted to buy a good but cheap guitar and I was happy to let it go to what I knew would be a very good home.

I don't have many Les Pauls (an R9; an R0 and two 1960 Classics) but none of them stay in their case and they all get played.

The R-I's get dragged out to gig. That's what they were made for, after all.

But did you all read the OP?

Everyone is missing the actual point of the OP which was, essentially, asking why the Gibson LP Custom Antique 'board inlays are white...

Focus.

P.

I agree with IanHenry the best Gibson les paul i ever played was the les paul classic antique until today i regret i sold the guitar altough my new les paul studio 2014 comes close to the sound and quality of that.

• 6 months later...

'53

53Custom_zpscffa077e.jpg

'54

1954Customlo-res_zps7261a17d.jpg

[smile]

P.

Thanks for the info and pics. Yeah, I guess the material of the fretboard inlays is probably harder and denser than the binding, switch tip, etc and didn't absorb anything that would influence the original color. I've read that trying to amber tint modern day inlays with dyes, still doesn't last for very long. On the bright side, I did actually end up finding a near mint Epi model at a GC in Florida. Had a amber tinted bone nut installed and all the electronics updraded, (500k's, Vitamin Q's, etc.) and am really happy with the overall look and sound now. I also added gold pointers and replacing the goofy speed knobs with some all black top hats, like the ones in your photos. For the money you can't go wrong going the upgrade route with an Epi in most cases. I've learned so much in that process that I wouldn't have, if I'd just gone and bought a higher end Gibson or

other guitar off the wall, somewhere. GOOD STUFF !

• 1 year later...

FWIW, I have a 2011 Chinese made Epiphone Dot that has a pair of Gibson 490's in it. Incredible guitar.

The Epiphones I have now are great playing guitars, and I think of their electronics as different sounding rather than inferior to Gibsons. I have 4 Epiphone electric guitars, none of which is a "copy" of a Gibson. The recent production Epiphones from China and Indonesia are very high quality and will run with the big dogs any time.

FWIW, I have a LOT of Gibsons, too, including 7 Les Pauls of various models. Most of them stay in the case while the Epiphones get played.

I have two Epi models with Gibson picks. Love them!

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Custom-Classic-PRO.aspx

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Inspired-by-1955-LP-Custom-Outfit.aspx

I have two Epi models with Gibson picks. Love them!...

Lovely guitars, TB24!

[thumbup]

A question if I may?

When did the '55 Custom come out? I ask because it has an ebony 'board - something the Gibson LPC hasn't had for quite a number of years...

As far as the Gem series go; yes, very nice range.

I believe someone here has the Ruby one although from memory their bridge p'up has been swapped for a humbucker.

P.

Hello Pippy!

It came out during this year...

Thanks for that, Bence.

I've just had a look on the web. They have them to pre-order at Anderton's for £599. Nice deal!

So how come this Epi version can get an ebony 'board but the Gibson LPC has to make do with Richlite?..............:-k

Very curious.

Pip.

So how come this Epi version can get an ebony 'board but the Gibson LPC has to make do with Richlite?..............:-k

Very curious.

Pip.

Indeed. As it seems, sourcing ebony is only a problem for U.S.-based companies.

Bence.

Thanks for that, Bence.

I've just had a look on the web. They have them to pre-order at Anderton's for £599. Nice deal!

Very curious.

Pip.

Very curious indeed.I would say it has something to do with more lax environmental laws in China, but the guitars still have to be sold in the US and Europe and the parent company is in the USA.

Perhaps this is a sign that more Gibson models will offer Ebony boards again.

Hi BR,

Here are some photo's of my Les Paul Classic Antique. It's an absolutely fabulous guitar, I've only ever played one Les Paul that I thought was as good or better, and that was a £5500 ($9000) Kossoff VOS model.

P1010321.jpg

P1010323.jpg

P1010324.jpg

Ian

I really love this headstock on a Les Paul . 2007 Les Paul DeLuxe RI with P90 [thumbup]

01209_front.jpg

Indeed. As it seems, sourcing ebony is only a problem for U.S.-based companies...
...I would say it has something to do with more lax environmental laws in China...

But there doesn't seem to be any difficulty in sourcing legally imported ebony f'board blanks in the USA. The Lacey Act is used only where illegally sourced timbers are concerned.

Just a very short google came up with loads of timber merchants in the USA such as this one;

http://www.lmii.com/...ny-fingerboards

I've seen the Taylor video and I understand the environmental issues but surely for what used to be the Flagship of the Les Paul range Gibson could get the 'correct' stuff? After all; $20 (and that's not even 'Trade') is peanuts compared to the buying price of a LPC. Surely even if $20 was added to the out the door price most buyers would happily hand over the extra cash for an ebony 'board instead of Richlite?

What am I missing?............:-k

Pip.

Archived