Gibson Brands Forums

Texan or AJ-500M

ajsc

I owned an AJ-500M for a while, but sold it because I needed to, at the time. I've been thinking of buying another, but then I started reading the post about the new, "Texan". Now I'm wondering, if anyone has played both, & if so I would like to know what your opinions are, between the two guitars?

Anyone?

I owned an AJ-500M for a while, but sold it because I needed to, at the time. I've been thinking of buying another, but then I started reading the post about the new, "Texan". Now I'm wondering, if anyone has played both, & if so I would like to know what your opinions are, between the two guitars?

Anyone?

I am interested in this comparison also. I own an AJ-500M, but have not yet played a new Texan.

I looked at one of each side by side a couple of years ago, and my impression was they were the same guitar (though the Texan has laminated sides), with cosmetic differences. The back bracing and what I could tell of the top bracing looked the same to me. This was after Epiphone began building the gloss top AJ-500M with the Gibson shaped body (earlier versions had fatter waists). I could not really hear both too well, though, since the place was so noisy, to compare how similar/different they sounded. It's clear from many accounts, however, that the Texan is excellent. As always individual guitars can vary.

Red 333

I have a 70's FT-120 that looks brand new never been played with new strings if you are interested in buying it. Was tuning it a snaped a string. Neck is straight a this guitar is beautiful, not a scratch on it. All original except for strings. I'm looking for a Les Paul and need to sell this one first. Can send pics to cell phone, 336-452-7698

One is a Masterbilt,and ones not. Both are great guitars, but onw is laminated, and the other(Masterbilt) is all wood. Myself, personally, I would get the Masterbilt AJ-500M, that is if you can one in good shape.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since this thread started, but I recently went on an AJ hunt.

I found mine and will start a new thread about it when I take photos.

I wanted an AJ 500M but could only find refurbished on e-bay starting in the $400 - $550 range. Too much for me to spend on refurbished.

I too had thought about ordering a Texan, but one has never surfaced in my area.

While in Miami for spring break, the local GC had one so I headed over to give it a play and buy.

I know all of the great reviews on these and was eager to play it.It might have been this model, but it sounded flat with no real voice.Strings were new, so I know it was not that.

They had the Gibson J-35 that played nice for $1,700. But next to it was the new J-15, walnut back and sides with a 3 piece beautiful figured neck.This blew both away for $1,500. (all AJ fans should try one)

Then I noticed an AJ-220 on the wall and gave it a try.Sounded great and played real nice.

So in proper order:

1. J-15 - $1,500

2. AJ-220 - $199

3. J135 - $1,700

4.Texan

Another great demonstration on why playing the guitar and comparing them to others is necessay (if possible, I did have to go to Miami for the comparison)

I did not buy any of the above.

I located a used 05 Masterbilt AJ-500MNS at a GC in Connecticut that was misslabeled on their website as a Masterbilt AJ-200MNV, which of course does not exist, but I knew what it was from the supplied photo.

I will start a new thread on this, but got it for $299. Pristine. Not a mark or flaw on it.Better than the J-35 and almost identical to the J-15. Only without electronics.

My advice - look for a clean Masterbilt.

I had a mint AJ500M, not a refurb, for sale on this forum. I feel bad - I sold it locally two days ago. It had a k&k and a nice HSC, and was just set up by Russo's.

I will say I have been impressed with the IB64 Texan, and that it is a great value. I also appreciate the lack of barn door electronics.

I bought my AJ-500M off eBay as a refurb for $425 with shipping. It looks and plays fantastic. When I tried to figure out what was wrong with it to make it a refurb I couldn't find anything. I took it to the shop to get the LR Baggs installed and told the tech it was a refurb but I couldn't figure out why. A couple days later when I went to pick it up he said the scale was about a half-inch shorter than the 25.5" called for in the specs, and closer to the 24.75" J-45 spec. I felt like it was a pretty easy player but hadn't realized that! There are no intonation issues or any other problem with the shorter scale too. pretty cool!

I bought my AJ-500M off eBay as a refurb for $425 with shipping. It looks and plays fantastic. When I tried to figure out what was wrong with it to make it a refurb I couldn't find anything. I took it to the shop to get the LR Baggs installed and told the tech it was a refurb but I couldn't figure out why. A couple days later when I went to pick it up he said the scale was about a half-inch shorter than the 25.5" called for in the specs, and closer to the 24.75" J-45 spec. I felt like it was a pretty easy player but hadn't realized that! There are no intonation issues or any other problem with the shorter scale too. pretty cool!

I got an EF-500R (refurbished)off ebay, about a year ago. It has a small finish spot on the shoulder. I paid $400. I have played the crap out of this thing. As I already stated, I had an AJ-500m, & liked it a lot. Hard for me to get to play a guitar before buying, because I live 150 miles from the nearest guitar shop. Have not even seen the Texan except on line!!

I got an EF-500R (refurbished)off ebay, about a year ago. It has a small finish spot on the shoulder. I paid $400. I have played the crap out of this thing. As I already stated, I had an AJ-500m, & liked it a lot. Hard for me to get to play a guitar before buying, because I live 150 miles from the nearest guitar shop. Have not even seen the Texan except on line!!

So frustrating I to live near a shop that doesn't have much in the way of new epiphone guitars, but they would rather fill the rack with the guild, sigma, gibson and fender line. Truth be known I haven't heard much that can up stage the masterbuilt line and having tried the new sigma line,beginner to 1700 dollar, they should have even the rack with the two brands a bit more. But most buy for the name right, "I own a C.F. Martin so I am a great guitar player", its to bad.

Cupla things...

#1 ajsc, You a tyson fan?

#2 I think the point about playing these things is absolutely, positively the most important potential if at all possible. The point about the four instruments with essentially the same sorta body is straight on.

That's why I know some folks figure I'm nuts for figuring that I'm just plain not gonna spend much over $500 on a guitar unplayed.

I'm kinda in the boonies too and frankly my "price tag and playing" rule has worked fairly well, and gotten me into some nice guitars like my own AJ500ME and an Eastman archtop that's pretty much to ES175 specs to back up my old girl.

It's not just the "sound," either. There are large scale reasons and small scale reasons to try before you buy. There is "something" about one instrument that plays itself for you at better than you can really perform - and another will somehow feel sluggish and out of time as well as out of tone.

... m

Cupla things...

#1 ajsc, You a tyson fan?

#2 I think the point about playing these things is absolutely, positively the most important potential if at all possible. The point about the four instruments with essentially the same sorta body is straight on.

That's why I know some folks figure I'm nuts for figuring that I'm just plain not gonna spend much over $500 on a guitar unplayed.

I'm kinda in the boonies too and frankly my "price tag and playing" rule has worked fairly well, and gotten me into some nice guitars like my own AJ500ME and an Eastman archtop that's pretty much to ES175 specs to back up my old girl.

It's not just the "sound," either. There are large scale reasons and small scale reasons to try before you buy. There is "something" about one instrument that plays itself for you at better than you can really perform - and another will somehow feel sluggish and out of time as well as out of tone.

... m

I'm a huge Tyson fan! He's the Charlie Russel of Cowboy songs, as far as I'm concerned. His songs are like paintings, not the crap we usually get.

There are some other good ones, but most suck in my estimation!

I saw Dave Stamey a couple of months ago. He was very good, but...........

Juni Fisher is very good too.

This is a fairly recent concert you will enjoy, if you like Ian!

I know what you mean about playing before, buying. I've got an 000-15M that I'm underwhelmed with now.

Haven't decided to sell it yet, but I think the day will come! (soon)

The EF500R, just fits like a glove. Just lucky, I guess!

Might have to make the trip to Tucson one of these days. Ugh!!

ajsc

First met Tyson in early '64.

Interviewed him a cupla years ago before the voice problems - but apparently some personal problems that cut short a concert tour.

He said at one point that his father was kinda hard to get along with and I'd say that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Believe me.

OTOH, great material. Great talent regardless.

Chris Ledoux too. Knew him a little some years ago when I lived a cupla years in Wyoming. Good guy, nice family, interesting take on the rodeo side of cowboy life as well as chasin' cattle.

Thing is, all the cowboy stuff ain't really necessarily about cowboys and cowboying. If other folks can't see the metaphor, there's something wrong with their perceptions on the world and they're just plain too direct and literal in comprehension. Any cowboy or cowgirl knows that.

BTW, my impression from talking to her a few years ago that Juni didn't think much of Ian.

Suzy Boggus did well with a borrowed guitar earlier, too, with Someday Soon - and I wish I'd had time to talk more with her than "howdy," but some of those "quick concert" tours are "quick."

For what it's worth, if you've ever heard of Marvin Garrett, he does half decent on his D18 and a bit of song. And you couldn't find a nicer guy and nicer family. Pickin' ain't his living, though, just a little part of life.

m

"He said at one point that his father was kinda hard to get along with and I'd say that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Believe me."

I guess his kids won't even talk to him anymore! (Evil genius?)

I've talked with Juni a few times myself.

She comes to the Folkloric Center in the Hauchuca Mountains, about twice a year!

Only seats about 20-30 people.

I like her quite a bit!

1st I heard of Marvin Garrett. I'll have to see what I can find!

As for Marvin...

Some info is available here...

http://www.prorodeohalloffame.com/inductees/by-category/bareback-riding/marvin-garrett/

There are bronze statues on main street here to "Marvelous Marvin" and his little brother Mark who only had one world championship.

Also one to Jerry Olson, the only man to be NFR contestant, bullfighter and specialty act.

http://www.prorodeohalloffame.com/inductees/by-category/contract-personnel/jerry-olson/

It's a cowboy town.

m

Archived