Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Original 2

mleffler

i just noticed something that has me concerned well puzzled, my walrus tooth is mounted on my S-G with a Nichol plated Phillips screw. and i see this one has a straight or flat head screw. i like the color but as to the 2 not sure. how many times has it been offered as a original?

Maybe, it's to designate it, as the second run, of the "Original?" And, as such,

they may have decided to darken the color a bit more? Who knows?! It may be, too...

that that particular guitar is just a darker version. When I got mine, about a year

ago, it was one of 8 that my dealer (EM Shorts) had, and I got to "Cherry Pick" the

one I preferred. Some of the other's of that group, varied a bit, to quite a bit,

from darker to lighter. (Mine was kind of "in the middle" color wise.)

So...Who knows?!

CB

CB - do you like yours? Does it hold tune? (let's forget about using the vibrato for a moment) I had a Tweedy SG for a short time last year and that thing would not get in tune nor stay in tune to save my life. I'm just concerned about the 61 reissue types as it seems to be somewhat hit or miss whether the neck is stable or not.

CB - do you like yours? Does it hold tune? (let's forget about using the vibrato for a moment) I had a Tweedy SG for a short time last year and that thing would not get in tune nor stay in tune to save my life. I'm just concerned about the 61 reissue types as it seems to be somewhat hit or miss whether the neck is stable or not.

Well, I guess I've been "lucky?" I now have 4 SG's models based on the '61 format.

Once they "settle down," they all stay in tune. What I mean by "settle down," is

there's a time period, after being in their cases, for any extended period of time,

where I have to retune, slightly, for awhile. But, once that passes, they stay in

tune, quite well. And, in all fairness, to the SG's...it happens with all my guitars,

to a certain degree. So...??? It may (partially) be due to the weather, here in the

"Midwest?" Who knows? The temps, in the house are pretty constant, but the humidity

can vary wildly. I use a humifier, in the Winter, but don't need one, in the Spring

and Summer.

I Love them all!

CB

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to reaffirm CB's position. I was having a hell of a time trying to get my Original to behave the first few months, but after some seasonal changes and plenty of playing time, it learned its place. Actually, the first month of my acquisition, I was waiting on Gibson to send me a corrected vibrola, as mine was bent at an extreme angle. Once the vibrola was replaced, I noticed a substantial improvement in tuning stability. It was still a bit buggy, but quickly straightened up. I recently also had a bone nut put in that seemed to have reassure its tuning stability. Your Jeff Tweedy may be suffering some of the same problems I suffered, so it might be worthwhile to do some checking up.

By the way, the aged cherry looks fantastic! I love that darker color on the SG. Can't justify getting it as I already own one albeit with a lighter finish. Right now, I'm hoping that Gibson will get its stuff together to produce a '68 style SG with lyre WITH the large batwing pickguard. In aged cherry!!

i just noticed something that has me concerned well puzzled, my walrus tooth is mounted on my S-G with a Nichol plated Phillips screw. and i see this one has a straight or flat head screw. i like the color but as to the 2 not sure. how many times has it been offered as a original?

I believe that Gibson said that they were using those flathead screws on SG's / Les Pauls when they first started making them.

Anybody familiar with this model? Why the "2"?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-original-2-electric-guitar

The only difference I can see between this new model and the previous SG Original is the color (Aged Cherry vs Heritage Cherry).

It's also more expensive than the previous SG Original!

Well, I guess I've been "lucky?" I now have 4 SG's models based on the '61 format.

Once they "settle down," they all stay in tune. What I mean by "settle down," is

there's a time period, after being in their cases, for any extended period of time,

where I have to retune, slightly, for awhile. But, once that passes, they stay in

tune, quite well. And, in all fairness, to the SG's...it happens with all my guitars,

to a certain degree. So...??? It may (partially) be due to the weather, here in the

"Midwest?" Who knows? The temps, in the house are pretty constant, but the humidity

can vary wildly. I use a humifier, in the Winter, but don't need one, in the Spring

and Summer.

I Love them all!

CB

I just wanted to reaffirm CB's position. I was having a hell of a time trying to get my Original to behave the first few months, but after some seasonal changes and plenty of playing time, it learned its place. Actually, the first month of my acquisition, I was waiting on Gibson to send me a corrected vibrola, as mine was bent at an extreme angle. Once the vibrola was replaced, I noticed a substantial improvement in tuning stability. It was still a bit buggy, but quickly straightened up. I recently also had a bone nut put in that seemed to have reassure its tuning stability. Your Jeff Tweedy may be suffering some of the same problems I suffered, so it might be worthwhile to do some checking up.

By the way, the aged cherry looks fantastic! I love that darker color on the SG. Can't justify getting it as I already own one albeit with a lighter finish. Right now, I'm hoping that Gibson will get its stuff together to produce a '68 style SG with lyre WITH the large batwing pickguard. In aged cherry!!

All guitars will take their time for initial stabilization. When restringing and readjusting brand-new instruments, there will be the need for tuning more often. Refinements of neck and intonation adjustments are also required during several weeks. When staying with string brand, make and gauge, to my experiences there will follow years of adjustment-free playing and amazing tuning stability.

This is valid for my Lyra tailpiece SGs, too, although tuning vibrato guitars may seem like a bit of a never ending story. [biggrin]

However, as with all non-double locked vibrato systems, it is best to leave the vibrato lever alone.

• 8 months later...

All guitars will take their time for initial stabilization. When restringing and readjusting brand-new instruments, there will be the need for tuning more often. Refinements of neck and intonation adjustments are also required during several weeks. When staying with string brand, make and gauge, to my experiences there will follow years of adjustment-free playing and amazing tuning stability.

This is valid for my Lyra tailpiece SGs, too, although tuning vibrato guitars may seem like a bit of a never ending story. [biggrin]

However, as with all non-double locked vibrato systems, it is best to leave the vibrato lever alone. i just bought a 2014 original 2 i love the thing ,,,i had a 2013 traditional i like it too ,but this neck & ive set the action just the way i like it ,,no fret buzz but great action ,,,about the the vibrola ,,ive been thinking of just taking the arm off & storing it in the case

I see you said you had.......I have one and the Tweedys some of them had a bad batch of bent Maestros......some seemed to carry over to the first of the Originals........my Tweedy would not stay in tune and it was because the Maestro was bent so the strings came almost straight across the bridge.

Once replaced with the same correct bend as my Douglas and Original stays in tune fine.

Need to leave them out of the case for a bit.

The Maestro even with the arm back the case compresses all of mine so when they come out of the case need to stabilize for a bit and I guess let the spring steel spring get used to it's normal position.

More tuning than a stop bar guitar when taking out of its case but once used to the environment I guess you would say no difference and no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As far as tuning, I've found that a Tone Pros roller bridge solves ALL problems with using the vibrola. I use mine for slow vibrato and no problems now. I've also had a bone nut (personal choice) installed. When I put mine in the case all I have to do is spin the bar around to the butt-end side of the guitar. I hope this helps. I love my Original.

Archived