Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Epi Acoustics

justinion

So looks like late april for stores to start carrying these:

50th Anniversary 1964 Caballero AE---Solid Mahogany Top - laminate back and sides $249

epiphone-50th-anniversary-1964-caballero-mahogany.jpg

Ft-350 SCE dread with Min ETune---Solid Spruce Top - laminate back and sides (Mahogany) $599

epiphone-ft-350sce-vintage-burst.jpg

any opinions on these?

The Caballero looks like a sweet deal but

I'm kind of puzzled on the FT-350's price point since you can get

a Masterbilt DR-500 for the same price and get all solid wood. Wouldn't

it have made more sense for Epi to make the FT-350 an AJ body?

Caballero looks great. Oh dear GAS attack!

i was hoping epi would release an all mahogany acoustic since I've been looking at a few recently.

The price on this one is unbeatable and supposedly they are only making 1000 of them.

where else can you get a solid top acoustic with electronics for $250? Crazy GAS

From what I've read online the small bodied guitar is all laminate. Wouldn't the L00 pro be a better deal? Although if the electronics are good they'd both be great for pickers or open mic solo spots

i've seen some videos from NAMM where they state it is in fact a solid top, but we shall see for sure. Wouldn't be the first time there has been confusion over the tops of Epi's

If it isn't solid, then it would be pretty disappointing since the other "New" one is

the FT 350, a total waste of production just to slap a robot tuner on an acoustic.

Hummingbird or Masterbilt FTW there

• 4 months later...

i've seen some videos from NAMM where they state it is in fact a solid top, but we shall see for sure. Wouldn't be the first time there has been confusion over the tops of Epi's

If it isn't solid, then it would be pretty disappointing since the other "New" one is

the FT 350, a total waste of production just to slap a robot tuner on an acoustic.

Hi, you say total waste of production. Are you kidding?? There has NEVER been a acoustic guitar like this model EVER. It is unique. I have tried 4 different robot guitars and currently own 2 different robot systems from Gibson, both electrics. Most models were not quick or broke down often . Only the 2010 and the 2012 Les Paul limited models looked and worked great. They perform as advertised. I love and still use them today, as I've written songs in 7 different tunings. I tried a Tronical system on the EPI CJ 200 CES. Didn't tune fast or hold tuning long BECAUSE it did not have a Tronical SpeedNut made for the MinE tune system AND regular acoustic necks don't seem to be stable enough for F and D capo tunings I use, on the fly. The new Epiphone FT-350SCE, has both, a special Tronical SpeedNut AND a reinforced neck(look at the back of the headstock) PLUS medium jumbo frets. I have ordered one. Soon, I will be able to gig at small venues, solo, with a single robot acoustic and a looper(Pigronix Infinity Looper) and a TC Helicon GXT pedal for vocals. It all fits in the gig bag. I will never have to compromise my set list OR carry multiple guitars again... I say THANK YOU ..About frickin' time.

If it ain't a Masterbilt Hummingbird, I don't want it! I guess my Epi buying days are over.. Darn!

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to that :)

If Gibson/Epiphone get their collective heads out of their collective you know where and build a Masterbilt version of the Bird or Dove, I am going to be in line right behind you for one !!

Untill then my Dr500 fills all my needs and GAS affliction

I guess the best they could do was "select mahogany" top, which does mean laminate.

I guess the best they could do was "select mahogany" top, which does mean laminate.

The 350 is A SOLID TOP Here is the Overview___________

Self-tuning Min-ETune system with 18 tuning presets (12 factory, 6 user)

Solid Sitka spruce top

Dreadnought size with single cutaway

Yep...no way am I buying an all laminate guitar. And I won't be caught dead with a cutaway acoustic. These are both losers as far as I'm concerned. I may have considered the Caballero in black if it wasn't all laminate.

Laminate!! don't talk to me about laminate - sorry "select wood". I bought a 2014 Limited Edition EJ-45 - described here in the UK as having a solid spruce top. Nice looker - sunburst J45 lookalike. When I got it delivered I noticed almost immediately that it had a laminate top - sorry "select spruce" (I must stop saying lam...). Was I mad? was I!? Anyway got on to supplier - who had not realised it was not a solid top and got a lump of cash back.

I am getting heartily sick of guitar manufacturers using euphemisms for laminated wood. Martin Guitars at least tell you it's not wood when it's something else. You do need to look it up sometimes to figure out what it is!!

I want to start a campaign to force guitar manufacturers world wide to call laminate laminate. It's like the emperors suit - we all know the truth.

Rant over - for today at least

Yep played the 1963 j45 next to an AJ220 yesterday and the latter sounded 10 times better at a cheaper price - solid top. Was wondering why didn't realise the j45 was all laminate - it looks amazing but sounds boxy

I've owned and played an AJ-220S for about the past year and have been very happy with the way it looks, plays and sounds.

Regarding laminate, er I mean select wood tops. It seems like it might be somewhat of a trend with Epiphone. The other day I saw a new to me special vender issue Hummingbird Artist. What drew my attention was the seemingly low price, well under $200. Upon examination of the specs, it turns out the recently released model has, you guessed it, a select wood top.

I already own an older Hummingbird Artist, it has a solid wood top, as does all the other older makes of this model that I've seen to date. I wonder why they decided to use a laminate on the new release.

I already own an older Hummingbird Artist, it has a solid wood top, as does all the other older makes of this model that I've seen to date. I wonder why they decided to use a laminate on the new release.

For the flamed maple.

Red 333

Laminate!! don't talk to me about laminate - sorry "select wood". I bought a 2014 Limited Edition EJ-45 - described here in the UK as having a solid spruce top. Nice looker - sunburst J45 lookalike. When I got it delivered I noticed almost immediately that it had a laminate top - sorry "select spruce" (I must stop saying lam...). Was I mad? was I!? Anyway got on to supplier - who had not realised it was not a solid top and got a lump of cash back.

I am getting heartily sick of guitar manufacturers using euphemisms for laminated wood. Martin Guitars at least tell you it's not wood when it's something else. You do need to look it up sometimes to figure out what it is!!

I want to start a campaign to force guitar manufacturers world wide to call laminate laminate. It's like the emperors suit - we all know the truth.

Rant over - for today at least

Bravo! I hope the foolish people of Gibson and Epiphone are listening. I am 100 million percent with you on this issue. I am disgusted with the lies and the deceit of words like..Laminated, and Select, and other fancy words of deception ..it's GARBAGE. Sometimes they won't even give you a description. They do the same with nuts and saddles...leave it blank so you might think it's quality and buy it...But they will grab your money as fast as they can stuff it into their deceiving pockets. When I think of the young people..the new guitarists who are taken in this manner, only to later discover they have been shammed, it makes me sick to my stomach. There...my rant is over too! ...but the scam of wood descriptions will go on till the public becomes smart enough to buy from a guitar company that is honest. And IMO..using the word "SELECT" is as dishonest as the burglar who steals Granny's purse and knocks her to the ground!

For the flamed maple.

Red 333

It interesting that there is no mention of the flamed maple in their specs -

Features

Select mahogany body and neck

Neck profile: SlimTaper

Fingerboard: Rosewood with pearloid Split Diamond inlays

Scale: 24.75”

Nut: 1.68”

Bridge: Rosewood with synthetic bone saddle

Case sold separately

Maybe because it looks like the Cherry Sunburst color doesn't appear to use the flamed maple.

It interesting that there is no mention of the flamed maple in their specs -

Features

Select mahogany body and neck

Neck profile: SlimTaper

Fingerboard: Rosewood with pearloid Split Diamond inlays

Scale: 24.75"

Nut: 1.68"

Bridge: Rosewood with synthetic bone saddle

Case sold separately

Maybe because it looks like the Cherry Sunburst color doesn't appear to use the flamed maple.

Yes, very interesting indeed, those missing flamed maple specs......and for me, fancy words like Select...or "missing descriptions in the specs" should always signify a RED LIGHT in buying. For they are a sign of less than honest advertising.

Man some of you guys are pretty fired up! But you're right, it's annoying and often too unclear. I wanted to buy an EJ-200 a couple of years back but couldn't figure out if the ones I could find online we're solid topped or not so I held off.

Agree that at this point it's a total waste to buy a lam guitar though. I already have two all-laminates in my PR-100 and an old Johnson guitar, and while I like them both they sound awful compared to my solid top and all-solid guitars.

Beginner guitars...skinnier bodies, no thanks. 2 of the 4 models have solid tops (Pro-1 Plus, Pro-1 Ultra).

Why oh why don't Epiphone stick to the tried and tested. Inexpensive good quality Gibson lookalikes are what they do best. What's all this chasing after the starter market with all this bull sh.. about necks, frets, thinner bodies and very light gauge strings. Have you ever tried 9s or 10s on an acoustic (short scale at that) you would need a really high action to stop all the buzzing as the strings bounced off the frets. I've seen an ad on Youtube that goes something like "is you guitar really hard to play - have you given up?" "Try this (whatever) and see the difference". Then it turns out all they do is put thin strings on, lower the action and whittle away at the struts. Then charge you $1000 for a cheap Yamaha. These Pro-1s sound like something of the same ilk and they are gonna bomb big-time. Kids, especially, want a guitar that looks like the one their hero plays, not some new design that their friends will laugh at!!!

Archived