Gibson Brands Forums

1962 GA-30RVT (Invader) Issues

XeMeme

Out of the blue, I started having weird issues with my 1962 Brown Tolex GA-30RVT Invader.

I have a tech who has looked over my amp and replaced a bad cap. He is still working on some of the other issues, but this is what I've got going on:

1. When disengaged, signal from Reverb still comes through (depending on where the volume is at on the Reverb). The bleed signal is weak but very distorted (tech thinks there is a ground issue with the pedal).
  2. Channel 1 (the clean Channel w/ 2 inputs) doesn't get reverb or I can't hear it engaged. Previously, although much weaker than Channel 2, I could hear it.
  3. Channel 2's (dirty channel w/ 2 inputs) "Tone" knob (Bass to Treb) no longer effects Bass and Treb, only works as a volume boost with a Treb roll off when at 0.
  4. When pushing Channel 2 (starts at Volume 6) the distortion sounds sucked in, trebbily, and thin... like a blown speaker, but my tech doesn't think that is the case.
  5. There is a chime/rattle like sound when I push the amp - this may or may not be related to the issues related above.

My Tech is great but very busy - so I'm trying to get as much input as I can on what the issue might be so we can address it quickly.

It is probably worth mentioning that both speakers have been recently replaced with Weber Blues (long before I had issues). Also, I just swapped ALL the tubes after these issues started (trying to solve the problem). Tech doesn't think the issue is with the speakers or tubes.

Thank you!

Out of the blue, I started having weird issues with my 1962 Brown Tolex GA-30RVT Invader.

I have a tech who has looked over my amp and replaced a bad cap. He is still working on some of the other issues, but this is what I've got going on:

1. When disengaged, signal from Reverb still comes through (depending on where the volume is at on the Reverb). The bleed signal is weak but very distorted (tech thinks there is a ground issue with the pedal).
  2. Channel 1 (the clean Channel w/ 2 inputs) doesn't get reverb or I can't hear it engaged. Previously, although much weaker than Channel 2, I could hear it.
  3. Channel 2's (dirty channel w/ 2 inputs) "Tone" knob (Bass to Treb) no longer effects Bass and Treb, only works as a volume boost with a Treb roll off when at 0.
  4. When pushing Channel 2 (starts at Volume 6) the distortion sounds sucked in, trebbily, and thin... like a blown speaker, but my tech doesn't think that is the case.
  5. There is a chime/rattle like sound when I push the amp - this may or may not be related to the issues related above.

My Tech is great but very busy - so I'm trying to get as much input as I can on what the issue might be so we can address it quickly.

It is probably worth mentioning that both speakers have been recently replaced with Weber Blues (long before I had issues). Also, I just swapped ALL the tubes after these issues started (trying to solve the problem). Tech doesn't think the issue is with the speakers or tubes.

Thank you!

Update: Discovered if I have the amp on Standby, I can still get a weak signal (its loudness is dependent on where the volume is at on the channel I'm playing through).

Please help.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks - yeah, after a cap was replaced I didn't get anymore Reverb on Channel one.

I got the amp back from the tech (after three attempts) and the issue just seems to be getting worse. It is almost like a sizzling sound when I'm pushing the amp.

I'm taking the amp to a different tech who has more experience with modding vintage amps (versus repairs). But money is a bit tight right now, so it might be awhile before I will take it in and provide an update.

• 1 month later...

So much wrong, haha. Biggest issues seems to be "power arc in the output transformer" which is causing it to eat tubes.

Getting it worked on... can't wait to get it back from Big Crunch in Baltimore.

Archived